Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 04:01 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,459,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjam1 View Post
Not all Republicans are against marriage equality and not all Democrats are pro-union. I'm a self-employed liberal who is definitely not pro-union. Both sides need to compromise for the greater good of the company and employee livelihood. We can't expect our economy to function if people are paid poor wages. On the other hand, in some industries, union wages are a problem. Like I said, compromise!

You may want to research Libertarians, and how you'd fit into their ideology. Libertarians are not Republicans or Democrats. I like allot about TRUE LIBERTARIANS, but not the fake Libertarians who are actually Republicans, who cling to the political movement du jour.
this libertarian crap is getting annoying. i sware this forum makes you think 90% of americans are libertarian

Old 05-12-2013, 04:02 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,228,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
It forces an association on people who do not want it, just as planned.

The relationship between a man and a woman has always been defined by nature.
We live in a civilized society. Not nature. Man has always gone against what nature wanted, or does the sprawling cities not tell you that enough?

Quote:
People understand their marriage is part of nature's plan and don't want it changed to include those outside the plan.

With nature firmly opposed to same-sex unions, homosexuals want government to step in and officially designate their perverted sexual practices as normal and equal to heterosexuality by hijacking the word marriage.
Homosexuals are just as American as you and I. Are you saying that they deserve to have rights denied to them? That doesn't sit well with me at all because I served for 4 years ensuring the rights, freedoms, and liberties of EVERY American, not just the one's that fulfill your requirements.

Quote:
That's why a civil union with the identical benefits and rights of marriage is a non-starter.

It doesn't force an idea on people they have already rejected and that's no fun.
Separate but equal is not equal. It's unconstitutional and goes against the very foundation of what this country was founded on.

I respect your opposition to same sex marriage, but I don't agree with it and I don't think I ever will.

Old 05-12-2013, 04:04 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,228,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Why anybody would want to be labeled as a Democrat or Republican is beyond me that's why I am an Independent.
You and me both, sir (or ma'am), you and me both.

Old 05-12-2013, 05:03 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
Key words "I've heard". And you "have heard" wrong.
I grew up in north Florida, in a little town. My graduating class was 78 people, and there was only one high school in the entire county. My neighbors boys have never seen the ocean, which is about an hour drive away. My mother delivered all three of the boys, since their parents didn't want to go to town to the hospital.

Why don't you tell me about small towns.

Old 05-12-2013, 06:32 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
We live in a civilized society. Not nature. Man has always gone against what nature wanted, or does the sprawling cities not tell you that enough?

Homosexuals are just as American as you and I. Are you saying that they deserve to have rights denied to them? That doesn't sit well with me at all because I served for 4 years ensuring the rights, freedoms, and liberties of EVERY American, not just the one's that fulfill your requirements.

Separate but equal is not equal. It's unconstitutional and goes against the very foundation of what this country was founded on.

I respect your opposition to same sex marriage, but I don't agree with it and I don't think I ever will.

"We live in a civilized society. Not nature. Man has always gone against what nature wanted, or does the sprawling cities not tell you that enough?"

Since we are going against nature's design, where do we draw the line and why?

Please be specific.

"Homosexuals are just as American as you and I. Are you saying that they deserve to have rights denied to them? That doesn't sit well with me at all because I served for 4 years ensuring the rights, freedoms, and liberties of EVERY American, not just the one's that fulfill your requirements."

What rights have been denied them?

Again, be specific.

I'm a former Marine, and I thank you for your service, but it has what to do with anything?

Are you more American than others now?

"Separate but equal is not equal. It's unconstitutional and goes against the very foundation of what this country was founded on."

Guess again.

What you are advocating is normalizing homosexuality in the name of all that is PC when it is clearly outside the norm.

Both heterosexuality and homosexuality cannot be normal and insisting they are is an attempt at thought control straight out of George Orwell's 1984.

"I respect your opposition to same sex marriage, but I don't agree with it and I don't think I ever will."

Biologically related heterosexual parents of both sexes are the best parents for any child and this relationship and family structure should be supported.

I believe society will be harmed by our continuing abandonment of this traditional family arrangement.

We have already witnessed the destruction of the black family with the introduction of government programs that have replaced the father.

Just as in any custody case brought to court, the interests of the child must come before all else.

Placing a child in a home with unrelated parents of a single sex who have really never been a part of the heterosexual world will deprive this child of relevant and timely real-world parenting a homosexual couple simply cannot deliver.

Even if it gives you a warm fuzzy feeling, when the well-being of children hangs in the balance, misguided good intentions and political agenda should take a back seat.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:00 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,492,645 times
Quote:
It forces an association on people who do not want it, just as planned.

The relationship between a man and a woman has always been defined by nature.

People understand their marriage is part of nature's plan and don't want it changed to include those outside the plan.

With nature firmly opposed to same-sex unions, homosexuals want government to step in and officially designate their perverted sexual practices as normal and equal to heterosexuality by hijacking the word marriage.

That's why a civil union with the identical benefits and rights of marriage is a non-starter.

It doesn't force an idea on people they have already rejected and that's no fun.
You have been told this over and over and over, in all states that ban ssm, they also ban civil unions and domestic partnerships for gay people. You straight people are just greedy and sucking off the tax system that all people pay into, including gay people. We deserve the same option to form a legal, binding and protective union the same as you do. There is nothing perverted about gay sex, what is perverted is those who are obsessed with it to the point of making laws against it. Do not want gay sex, do not have gay sex, do not look for it on the internet, avoid city data threads about it and maybe try not starting them too. Homosexuality is also part of nature. You wont let us have marriage, you wont let us have civil unions, you wont let us have domestic partnerships, you wont let us have any union that even resembles your oh so sacred marriages that barely last five years and end in divorce anyway. Maybe more republicans should try and be less like sheeple and vote for what they believe in and not what they are told to believe in.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:11 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,553,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmhughes View Post
Ok I have always considered myself to be Liberal until recently. For about a year now I have been working at a union facility and the contract has expired. Seeing my entitled coworkers show their ignorance and stupidity has caused me to question a lot of my formal Liberal ideology.

My problem with the GOP is their anti gay rhetoric. It just seams so hypocritical. Is this a common situation?
No it is not. I agree with most economic policies of the republicans but not in many of their social issues. However, it is more important to me to vote on economic issues for the good of the nation than gay marriage. Not that I am against gay marriage but ensuring someone has a job is more important than who can marry someone of the same gender. They can still live together and love each other. In time I believe they will be able to do so. More and more states are allowing this. It is a matter of time. Take care.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:

"We live in a civilized society. Not nature. Man has always gone against what nature wanted, or does the sprawling cities not tell you that enough?"

Since we are going against nature's design, where do we draw the line and why?

Please be specific.

"Homosexuals are just as American as you and I. Are you saying that they deserve to have rights denied to them? That doesn't sit well with me at all because I served for 4 years ensuring the rights, freedoms, and liberties of EVERY American, not just the one's that fulfill your requirements."

What rights have been denied them?

Again, be specific.

I'm a former Marine, and I thank you for your service, but it has what to do with anything?

Are you more American than others now?

"Separate but equal is not equal. It's unconstitutional and goes against the very foundation of what this country was founded on."

Guess again.

What you are advocating is normalizing homosexuality in the name of all that is PC when it is clearly outside the norm.

Both heterosexuality and homosexuality cannot be normal and insisting they are is an attempt at thought control straight out of George Orwell's 1984.

"I respect your opposition to same sex marriage, but I don't agree with it and I don't think I ever will."

Biologically related heterosexual parents of both sexes are the best parents for any child and this relationship and family structure should be supported.

I believe society will be harmed by our continuing abandonment of this traditional family arrangement.

We have already witnessed the destruction of the black family with the introduction of government programs that have replaced the father.

Just as in any custody case brought to court, the interests of the child must come before all else.

Placing a child in a home with unrelated parents of a single sex who have really never been a part of the heterosexual world will deprive this child of relevant and timely real-world parenting a homosexual couple simply cannot deliver.

Even if it gives you a warm fuzzy feeling, when the well-being of children hangs in the balance, misguided good intentions and political agenda should take a back seat.
Where have you been? Most of my world is focused around heterosexuals, my parents were heterosexuals, many of my relatives are heterosexuals, do you think that gays do not know about heterosexuality? How silly and naive. Gay people make just as good of parents as any straight couple and there are many straight couple who are lousy parents. The harm to the American family is through the negligent use of divorce to resolve issues in the marriage, that is apparent with the divorce rate well over 55%, you do know that that means that out of every 100 of your straight marriages, 55 of them end in divorce and after that the repeated marriages have a higher divorce rate. Now talk about the family unit and how important it is.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
No it is not. I agree with most economic policies of the republicans but not in many of their social issues. However, it is more important to me to vote on economic issues for the good of the nation than gay marriage. Not that I am against gay marriage but ensuring someone has a job is more important than who can marry someone of the same gender. They can still live together and love each other. In time I believe they will be able to do so. More and more states are allowing this. It is a matter of time. Take care.
So, we can live together and love each other, but it is okay to deny us the same legal rights associated with a simple federal marriage license? It may not be important to you, but to us gays that have to wait just to have the same legal protections, it is not soon enough. The federal government should not be backing any law that singles out a select group of people just to separate them from the overall population. If all the rights that you recieve are good enough for you, then they are good enough for me, no less, no more.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:06 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,943,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmhughes View Post
Ok I have always considered myself to be Liberal until recently. For about a year now I have been working at a union facility and the contract has expired. Seeing my entitled coworkers show their ignorance and stupidity has caused me to question a lot of my formal Liberal ideology.

My problem with the GOP is their anti gay rhetoric. It just seams so hypocritical. Is this a common situation?
Where is it written that if you are liberal you have to support unions?

You can be a republican and still have liberal views...many in the GOP do. You can be a Republican and not be Homophobic, or racist...Just dont freak out when you run into more kinds of those people in your GOP dealings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies