Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 04:49 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,606,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Well then what exactly is the problem? If those activities don't harm kids, then why are you so opposed to them? I asked you a simple question--I don't even know what you're ranting about now.
I think something is getting lost in translation. I think this sums up her position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Kindergarten "graduations," eight grade "graduations," homecoming mums that hang to the floor and cost more than a week's worth of groceries, etc. Going to a high school sports awards dinner is sheer torture - as any effort outside of bare minimum seems to be rewarded with awards, speeches, etc. I hate to sound like a Scrooge but folks - most kids do not excel at everything they participate in! Participation is great but it doesn't merit a reward or trophy - and neither does average performance or effort.
You two are agreeing in part. You just see it as less of a cultural phenomenon. Right?

That's my attempt at peacemaking on Mother's Day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 04:57 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
The '' everyone gets a trophy'', mentality is all about pacifying parents who rip teachers and coaches up when their kid gets nothing. Teachers are not to blame when your kid can't spell, and blows out of a school spelling bee. I was once told a spelling bee was racist, because it had only '' white words'', the funny thing was, the winner of the school spelling bee, was a Korean girl, only in the USA, less than two years.

It is the problem with our entitlement generation, everyone gets something, for doing nothing.

Old 05-12-2013, 04:58 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
I think something is getting lost in translation. I think this sums up her position.

You two are agreeing in part. You just see it as less of a cultural phenomenon. Right?

That's my attempt at peacemaking on Mother's Day.
Thanks . I guess my experiences have been completely and totally different, because I've never seen anything like that--ever. I've been going to athletic banquets, academic awards dinners, music and speech contests, and I've been sitting in the stands watching kids play for a very long time (I have a big family). Most of the kids I know work very hard, and they're very aware that if they want to excel they have to put in the effort to achieve. Little trophies and celebrations don't have anything to do with their work ethic (or lack of one).

Old 05-12-2013, 05:37 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Gosh, I remember graduating from kindergarten years ago. So many years that I don't even want to say how many!

We had a ceremony and everything. This new trend must have started about 40 years or so ago.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:03 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Gosh, I remember graduating from kindergarten years ago. So many years that I don't even want to say how many!

We had a ceremony and everything. This new trend must have started about 40 years or so ago.

It sure as hell was not around 50 years ago.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:08 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
The '' everyone gets a trophy'', mentality is all about pacifying parents who rip teachers and coaches up when their kid gets nothing. Teachers are not to blame when your kid can't spell, and blows out of a school spelling bee. I was once told a spelling bee was racist, because it had only '' white words'', the funny thing was, the winner of the school spelling bee, was a Korean girl, only in the USA, less than two years.

It is the problem with our entitlement generation, everyone gets something, for doing nothing.
I've coached tons and the participation has a lot more to do with shutting up the psycho parents (especially here in Texas) as opposed to entitlement mentality.

And I disagree vehemently with saying kids did nothing on a team. Somebody had to pass the ball to the star player, someone had to slide tackle that big kid etc. etc.

With that said, I understand yours (and HT's) viewpoint completely.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I've coached tons and the participation has a lot more to do with shutting up the psycho parents (especially here in Texas) as opposed to entitlement mentality.

And I disagree vehemently with saying kids did nothing on a team. Somebody had to pass the ball to the star player, someone had to slide tackle that big kid etc. etc.

With that said, I understand yours (and HT's) viewpoint completely.
And that's the essence of sports and sportsmanship--everybody on the team contributes to the success of the team--it's not just about the "stars"--and those contributions are valued. The same with the effort put in by the team you face--no matter how good or bad you are, it takes something to just get out there and play. You sound like a good youth sports coach.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
It sure as hell was not around 50 years ago.
We had kindergarten graduation programs in the very early 60s at my school. It was a little program for the parents with music and treats on the last day.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:24 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,606,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
We had kindergarten graduation programs in the very early 60s at my school. It was a little program for the parents with music and treats on the last day.
Unfortunately nowadays it's often caps and gowns, graduation invitations, cakes, presents, etc.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:24 PM

32,064 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Take for instance "making it to the playoffs" - even in high school sports. It's RIDICULOUS. The most MEDIOCRE teams nearly always "make it to the playoffs" when the reality is that the only way they won't is if they completely suck.

Kindergarten "graduations," eight grade "graduations," homecoming mums that hang to the floor and cost more than a week's worth of groceries, etc. Going to a high school sports awards dinner is sheer torture - as any effort outside of bare minimum seems to be rewarded with awards, speeches, etc. I hate to sound like a Scrooge but folks - most kids do not excel at everything they participate in! Participation is great but it doesn't merit a reward or trophy - and neither does average performance or effort.

I completely agree with you. My friends twin daughters are entering middle school and the elementary school does have a graduation. My kids went to the same school as well. Anyway she's taking them to get their hair done for the occasion. I told her she was absolutely crazy but this seems to be the norm now. When my daughter attended her 8th grade dance there were limos in front of the school
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies