Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2013, 03:37 PM

18,383 posts, read 19,018,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
If a 15 year old can have sex with another 15 year old...why is it worse if it was a 15 year old with a 40 year old?

think about it and maybe it will come to you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 03:40 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,941,676 times
Quote:
If a 15 year old can have sex with another 15 year old...why is it worse if it was a 15 year old with a 40 year old?
Good question.

I'm not sure I can provide a satisfying answer ... but here goes:

I think a lot of teenagers or adolescents explore and experiment with their new found sexual feelings, and there isn't the manipulative or coercive aspect so much as it would be with a person who is old enough to be the parent of the adolescent. Middle aged people do have a power and financial edge over their adolescent. It is not that far removed when bosses/superiors use sexual harassment targeting their employees/subordinates in the work place.

Just my opinion, I'm not claiming to be any kind of "expert."

Old 05-13-2013, 03:42 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,910,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
think about it and maybe it will come to you
How is a 40 year old a "predator"?? And a 15 year old boy NOT a predator??

When I was a teen...I was definitely hunting. I lied and manipulated and jumped through hoops to land the box.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Good question.

I'm not sure I can provide a satisfying answer ... but here goes:

I think a lot of teenagers or adolescents explore and experiment with their new found sexual feelings, and there isn't the manipulative or coercive aspect so much as it would be with a person who is old enough to be the parent of the adolescent. Middle aged people do have a power and financial edge over their adolescent. It is not that far removed when bosses/superiors use sexual harassment targeting their employees/subordinates in the work place.

Just my opinion, I'm not claiming to be any kind of "expert."
Simply sounds like an advantage to me....lol

Old 05-13-2013, 03:50 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
How is a 40 year old a "predator"?? And a 15 year old boy NOT a predator??

When I was a teen...I was definitely hunting. I lied and manipulated and jumped through hoops to land the box.
Because we define "minors", which we protect until they reach the age of 18. We define "predator" and someone who uses pressure, power, and holds influence over the "minor", those would be ADULTS, since that's how society is currently structured.

This isn't easy stuff, and it's not fool proof either, but it's what we have and what everyone knows and accepts so when people purposely step outside that norm they are not ignorant. They know it but do it anyway. The question is why? If we accept the idea of a minor the formula is pretty simple and not hard to follow, so when people don't follow it there's a good change their motives are not good.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Because we define "minors", which we protect until they reach the age of 18. We define "predator" and someone who uses pressure, power, and holds influence over the "minor", those would be ADULTS, since that's how society is currently structured.

This isn't easy stuff, and it's not fool proof either, but it's what we have and what everyone knows and accepts so when people purposely step outside that norm they are not ignorant. They know it but do it anyway. The question is why? If we accept the idea of a minor the formula is pretty simple and not hard to follow, so when people don't follow it there's a good change their motives are not good.
How accepted do you think Plan B is across all parenting groups? Overwhelmingly? Even marginally?

How much of a choice did the ones who didn't agree with it have?

Old 05-13-2013, 03:55 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,671,155 times
Yah they should have to ask permission from their incestual father first? You think they are doing it for fun?

Old 05-13-2013, 03:58 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
How accepted do you think Plan B is across all parenting groups? Overwhelmingly? Even marginally?

How much of a choice did the ones who didn't agree with it have?
There is no choice or agreeing about biology. You can't stop it by being a strict parent. You can only try to pass on whatever wisdom and values you hold and if you are good at that, and your child receptive to it, there won't be a reason to "be against" anything. If you fail, or your child disregards you and does whatever they want, you really need to give up the idea you had any control in the first place and your reason to "be against" anything is moot. Nobody asks for permission to have sex from their parent so "consent" isn't what you think it is.

People (children) are not the same as possessions. We can't pretend they are and no law will change that.

Old 05-13-2013, 04:00 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,818,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
You love kids so much,why would you want the age of consent lowered to 15?

Do you have a daughter? Would you be ok if she gave some 40 year old man consent for sex?
I think you missed the illustration of absurdity with absurdity, or facetiousness with hyperbole.

Old 05-13-2013, 04:09 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,873,536 times
Quote:
Yes, but you know in this country....as one state goes, it's only a matter a time before they all do. And much emphasized pressure from the Fed Nanny always helps.
Not really. In some states you can get married at 12 (Kansas) and in others the age of consent is 21 (Mississippi). Most are 18 because that is legal adulthood under Federal law but states can set different ages and they do. Same with drivers licenses. They range from 14 to 18.
State-by-State Marriage "Age of Consent" Laws - FindLaw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies