Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 05:00 AM

9,282 posts, read 6,741,572 times

Advertisements

Make the case against school vouchers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 05:01 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
i suppose it depends on what kind of voucher program you had in mind.

the plan i'm familiar with is: giving families tax breaks (or credits, or cash, or whatever) to send their kids to a private school. The reason i don't like it is because it defunds the public schools that need the money the most.

Now, if there was some voucher plan that didn't defund public schools, then maybe i'd be ok with that.

you also have the problem that private schools don't want to accept vouchers, because that funding comes with strings attached. Any quality private school is going to value its autonomy more than it values state funding.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:09 AM

945 posts, read 968,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post

Because it will cause segregation by various genres and the government must force integration however unnatural it may be. They have 30-40 years of force PC that could unravel with the youth if they did this.

Which is the exact reason it should be implemented.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:11 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,947,200 times
Quote:
Since you are the OP, make a case FOR school vouchers.

Vouchers are advocated by those that want to use the money to send their children to private schools, which underfunds public schools.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Since you are the OP, make a case FOR school vouchers.

The public school system. Case made.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:22 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
Quote:
There is no workable model that will allow for a successful voucher program. The people most likely to use vouchers are people that are already going to be sending their kids to private schools. Private schools don't even have the capacity to accept many more students than they already do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
The public school system. Case made.
That's not a case for vouchers. The people wanting vouchers are just arguing for a tax cut on the rich. Otherwise, they would want school choice.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i suppose it depends on what kind of voucher program you had in mind.

the plan i'm familiar with is: giving families tax breaks (or credits, or cash, or whatever) to send their kids to a private school. The reason i don't like it is because it defunds the public schools that need the money the most.

Now, if there was some voucher plan that didn't defund public schools, then maybe i'd be ok with that.

you also have the problem that private schools don't want to accept vouchers, because that funding comes with strings attached. Any quality private school is going to value its autonomy more than it values state funding.

You do realize that the public school system is a miserable failure?

You do realize that when someone goes elsewhere, the public school system won't have to use money on teaching that child? (He doesn't require a teacher, overhead, field trips, etc from that local school)

If they need to downsize the teaching force due to vouchers, then so be it. That means another, private job will be created for another person to teach him and his peers. (That is superior to another union, government employee)

So, why would you want to grasp to the public system that has us behind 20-30 other nations in education benchmarks?

Easy and I'll answer for you, you either have skin in the game or you just don't know what you are talking about.

Defunding public schools is building block this country needs to get the youth ready to get responsible again, and purge the system of these entitled, participation trophy losers that cry about everything until everyone else is miserable and then vote themselves the spoils of others who actually work and have ethics.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
There is no workable model that will allow for a successful voucher program. The people most likely to use vouchers are people that are already going to be sending their kids to private schools. Private schools don't even have the capacity to accept many more students than they already do.

That's not a case for vouchers. The people wanting vouchers are just arguing for a tax cut on the rich. Otherwise, they would want school choice.

Well it is double taxation. If you send your kids to a private school you shouldn't have to pay for the public portion of property taxes contributing to your local school district. That is obvious, sensible, common sense to anyone with half a brain and some semblance of ethics and morals.

My property is in I would consider a 'C' grade local school system. I'm comfortable, but middle class and I would absolutely send my kids to a different school if I didn't have to pay twice (or had a voucher).

Again, the argument it is only for the rich is absurd. It would help everyone including the poor, mentally retarded, rich, etc.

The smartest and dumbest should be taught on similar styles that cater towards their advantages/disadvantages. This would yield a better crop of citizens, where the most of their abilities could be extracted by specialized teachers.

The undeniable fact is that we get crushed by almost any other civilized country in benchmarks, so no one of this forum arguing for the status quo has math/facts on your side.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:47 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
They have one less kid to teach though.... Matter of fact in many cases they are losing some funding so thay actually end up with one less kid to teach and still have some of that funding.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:48 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
Quote:
Well it is double taxation. If you send your kids to a private school you shouldn't have to pay for the public portion of property taxes contributing to your local school district. That is obvious, sensible, common sense to anyone with half a brain and some semblance of ethics and morals.
It is a public service with a socialized cost structure. People without kids and people with grown kids are going to pay the same as a family with 5 kids. Access to education is codified in most state constitutions, so that aspect isn't going away.

Quote:
My property is in I would consider a 'C' grade local school system. I'm comfortable, but middle class and I would absolutely send my kids to a different school if I didn't have to pay twice (or had a voucher).
So $5,000 is all that is stopping you from paying $20,000-$30,000/yr in tuition?

Quote:
Again, the argument it is only for the rich is absurd. It would help everyone including the poor, mentally retarded, rich, etc.
No, it wouldn't. TX of all places just voting down school vouchers because the plan wasn't workable and would simply be giving a tax cut to people that would already be going private. People were still going to have to come up with about $14K/year (IIRC that's for 1 kid) to even benefit from the program.

Quote:
The smartest and dumbest should be taught on similar styles that cater towards their advantages/disadvantages. This would yield a better crop of citizens, where the most of their abilities could be extracted by specialized teachers.
I don't think smart kids should even be in the same class as dumb kids.

Quote:
The undeniable fact is that we get crushed by almost any other civilized country in benchmarks, so no one of this forum arguing for the status quo has math/facts on your side.
I'm not arguing for the status quo, far from it, but offering parents a choice makes more sense than a voucher program. Just attach the money to the kid instead of attaching the kid to the school, that's what Belgium does. Where I live neighborhoods are zoned to particular schools. It doesn't even matter if a better school is closer to you; if you aren't zoned to a school then you aren't going to that school. Ever wonder why charter school perform so well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies