Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2013, 10:11 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,800,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
The city isn't entirely economically disadvantaged, nor is the entire city some oasis that you seem to believe it is. My proposal is fair, Detroit is reduced in size and chooses what areas are better fit to remain within city limits which may happen to be the better economically advantaged areas, while also taking on the debt of the former 131 sq mi; with that, the new cities, towns, and etc could take on new debt IF needed to improve their current situations while Detroit is in better shape to improve its situation as well BUT carries the burden of debt.

Simply put, Detroit cannot operate on it's existing footprint, it's just not possible; the tax base is reduced and it continues to operate the infrastructure of a 2,000,000 resident city without the proper tax-base to afford it. You can make that into a race issue all you would like, but as a black male I know that Detroit is financially in a crisis and things need to be fixed as soon as possible.
As as general rule once it goes south there is no way to salvage things by cutting up the disaster.

If, for instance, Michigan chose to accept the financial responsibility I would think we might do something more fine tuned.

But without that I would suggest it be bought out by a government entity that includes everything in Michigan within say 60 miles.

I am pleased that a black guy wants to fight this out. Then again I would not bring in Allen West to straighten this all out.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:20 PM

30,063 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the mask View Post
Its sad to see the destruction of Detroit due to liberal policies.

Detroit insolvent, EM Kevyn Orr says | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com
Liberals will be serving this degree of economic chaos and misery to the rest of the nation, in totem, and reduce America to a third world nation.

If you really like Detroit- vote Democrat. You will deliver many more cities to the same fate.

If you want America to prosper, vote anything BUT democrat. Look at the most prosperous cities in the USA- NONE of them are controlled by democrats.

Democrats= Poverty= More Democrats

Free, well to do people do not need democrats. Thus the goal of the democrat party is to create more dependent, poor people.

If you want your city to look like Detroit= vote Democrat

Old 07-18-2013, 10:24 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,440,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
As as general rule once it goes south there is no way to salvage things by cutting up the disaster.

If, for instance, Michigan chose to accept the financial responsibility I would think we might do something more fine tuned.

But without that I would suggest it be bought out by a government entity that includes everything in Michigan within say 60 miles.

I am pleased that a black guy wants to fight this out. Then again I would not bring in Allen West to straighten this all out.
Wow; who says the City needs to be purchased? Who would even want to purchase it? The federal government has larger problems to worry about rather than seizing Detroit by eminent domain, while the state of Michigan is in no position to 'purchase Detroit.' I'm no Allen West, I'm fairly independent with my views as I subscribe to a little bit of this and little bit of that in my political views. Now you can continue to ignore the problem, or you can do something about it. Detroit has enough taxes within its city to sustain itself, the problem is its too large to sustain itself therefore reductions to the actual city limits NEED to be addressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Liberals will be serving this degree of economic chaos and misery to the rest of the nation, in totem, and reduce America to a third world nation.

If you really like Detroit- vote Democrat. You will deliver many more cities to the same fate.

If you want America to prosper, vote anything BUT democrat. Look at the most prosperous cities in the USA- NONE of them are controlled by democrats.

Democrats= Poverty= More Democrats

Free, well to do people do not need democrats. Thus the goal of the democrat party is to create more dependent, poor people.

If you want your city to look like Detroit= vote Democrat
That's an insane view, Conservative areas have also went bankrupt as well while there are Democrats cities that are prospering. Democrats didn't Destroy Detroit, Capitalism and the free-market destroyed Detroit; why would a company stay in Detroit let alone America when places such as China offer the same deal for much cheaper and less regulation. I'm not saying Capitalism and the Free-Market are bad, I'm just saying the risk of a downfall comes along with capitalism.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:27 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times
Sell it to Canada. They could get their syrup through faster that way.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Sell it to Canada. They could get their syrup through faster that way.
LOL; Cananda wouldn't even want Detroit with its existing debt.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Wow; who says the City needs to be purchased? Who would even want to purchase it? The federal government has larger problems to worry about rather than seizing Detroit by eminent domain, while the state of Michigan is in no position to 'purchase Detroit.' I'm no Allen West, I'm fairly independent with my views as I subscribe to a little bit of this and little bit of that in my political views. Now you can continue to ignore the problem, or you can do something about it. Detroit has enough taxes within its city to sustain itself, the problem is its too large to sustain itself therefore reductions to the actual city limits NEED to be addressed.
who suggested purchasing it. Boy talk about a dumb idea.

Cities are simply constructs created by legislation. You simply make a single city out of all parts of Michigan within 60 miles of Detroit. Then you give them the bill.

There is no way to fix Detroit by shrinking its size. It owes far more than the existing area can ever pay back - as the bankruptcy demonstrates.

But all lots within 60 miles? Piece of cake.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:34 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times
They could get an NFL team at least. The Detroit Mounties.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:43 PM

Quote:
who suggested purchasing it. Boy talk about a dumb idea.

Cities are simply constructs created by legislation. You simply make a single city out of all parts of Michigan within 60 miles of Detroit. Then you give them the bill.

There is no way to fix Detroit by shrinking its size. It owes far more than the existing area can ever pay back - as the bankruptcy demonstrates.

But all lots within 60 miles? Piece of cake.
Quote:

Bought, means purchase; they nearly go hand in hand. You're idea is simple minded, and makes no sense to consolidate cities that are actually doing well in Michigan and to consolidate them into one poor entity, you really believe that makes sense? Come on, that is a DUMB idea. That's like if my neighbor was in poverty, and I'm doing well on my own, what would the point be to merge households? So I can take on their debt as well and struggle with them? My only suggestion would for you to do research and until then stay away from finances, ESPECIALLY within the public sector.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Bought, means purchase; they nearly go hand in hand. You're idea is simple minded, and makes no sense to consolidate cities that are actually doing well in Michigan and to consolidate them into one poor entity, you really believe that makes sense? Come on, that is a DUMB idea. That's like if my neighbor was in poverty, and I'm doing well on my own, what would the point be to merge households? So I can take on their debt as well and struggle with them? My only suggestion would for you to do research and until then stay away from finances, ESPECIALLY within the public sector.
Bought out in terms of assuming the debt.

Let usw not kid ourselves. Detroit will be paid for.

The rational choice is that Michigan pick up the bill. But it is clear that he governor and legislature is against that.

The governor and friends wants the bill to be paid primarily by the retired employees of Detroit.

I am suggesting that the the local area would be a better choice...if Michigan as a whole is not available.

So you believe the right way to go at this is to let the Detroit retirees pay it?

Old 07-18-2013, 11:12 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,741,572 times
Quote:
Bought out in terms of assuming the debt.

Let usw not kid ourselves. Detroit will be paid for.

The rational choice is that Michigan pick up the bill. But it is clear that he governor and legislature is against that.

The governor and friends wants the bill to be paid primarily by the retired employees of Detroit.

I am suggesting that the the local area would be a better choice...if Michigan as a whole is not available.

So you believe the right way to go at this is to let the Detroit retirees pay it?
No the city should pay, and the city alone..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies