Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2013, 07:57 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,460,466 times

Advertisements

Beyond the cliche, what exactly will a conservative/ fiscal responsible mayor do?
He will cut spending. OK. What next? Who will move to Detroit from other places? Who will invest in Detroit?

Old 05-14-2013, 08:02 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
In all fairness, the fate of the city wouldn't change in the end if a conservative was suddenly placed in charge. Too much lib for too long and the results are a toxic cesspool of failure. Tear it down, pour cement over the mess and build something viable in it's place. I'm gonna miss their coney dogs though
I agree blaming this on liberalism is kind of silly. Liberal Portland, Austin and Seattle seem to be doing pretty well. This is a tale of demographics.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:06 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
At one time (2007 or 2008) Detroit's high school graduation rate was 24%, that is less than 1/4 of the kids who entered high school graduated in 4 years. Now, it's 74% (2012). I'm thinking they either changed the way they calculate graduation rate or they are pushing students through regardless of failure for that unbelievable, and it is unbelievable, increase.

Point is, you can't have so many uneducated people living in one city and expecting the place to be amazing once these students hit adulthood.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:11 AM

Detroit cuts and then what? Will folks rush to live in a city with few officers and other services? Will they rush to live in an area where the schools have a record of failure unmatched by just anywhere else in the country?

The only thing that can remotely save Detroit is just have a modern day homestead act and some sort of free trade zone. Make it like the Hong Kong of the Midwest or something. Or they can offer incentives for their poor black population to move South. Maybe folks will consider moving back then.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:15 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Detroit cuts and then what? Will folks rush to live in a city with few officers and other services? Will they rush to live in an area where the schools have a record of failure unmatched by just anywhere else in the country?

The only thing that can remotely save Detroit is just have a modern day homestead act and some sort of free trade zone. Make it like the Hong Kong of the Midwest or something. Or they can offer incentives for their poor black population to move South. Maybe folks will consider moving back then.
There is a reason those things have not been broached. The unions.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:18 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,176,546 times
Quote:
Point is, you can't have so many uneducated people living in one city and expecting the place to be amazing once these students hit adulthood.
As I said, holding pen for the underclass...and thats what these kids will be. Hewers of wood and drawers of water.

So you have to manage that somehow, adminster it. police it.

That's the challenge

Quote:
Or they can offer incentives for their poor black population to move South.
Maybe they would have it better off down south nowadays?

Old 05-14-2013, 08:23 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Make poor Blacks move to the South? Why not give incentives for poor Whites as well to move or poor everyone?

Better yet, here is a more important question. What incentive would there be to move to the South if you are poor? I live in the South and if you are poor down here, it will be harder than being poor in the North.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:27 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Maybe they would have it better off down south nowadays?
I live in the South, and I have family from the North. Being poor in the North is quite hard. However, if you are poor in the South, well, it might be harder. Consider this. In Wisconsin, if you pay your gas bill up to a certain date, they can't cut your gas off during the winter because of failure to pay. In Georgia, they can and will do this. I've seen them cut the gas off during a snow, albeit a rare snow. If the gas gets cuts off and the temperature drops below freezing that night, you better come up with a good solution. Otherwise you'll freeze.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Make poor Blacks move to the South? Why not give incentives for poor Whites as well to move or poor everyone?

Better yet, here is a more important question. What incentive would there be to move to the South if you are poor? I live in the South and if you are poor down here, it will be harder than being poor in the North.
Lol Detroit is what 92% Black how many poor Whites you think are in Detroit?

Old 05-14-2013, 08:40 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The south gave incentives for people to move there. They attracted the new auto manufacturers which created jobs and many people followed. The union strongholds and nobody willing to go against them is why Detroit was unable to attract these jobs.

Quote:
It's always easier to be poor where half the year you do not have to worry about freezing to death. All the same, I answered the question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies