Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 09:12 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,911,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Well, I don't see 2014 as a slam dunk for the GOP.

I am pretty confident that the country thinks the Tea Party caucus is a bunch of power mad idiots. And they would be right.

Hillary is a shoe in....it's already set

First black prez, followed by the first woman prez.

The voting blocs are already locked and loaded. They have squeezed this much out of the "American Dream" rhetoric thus far. They have to push the drug to a different demographic now.

It's really just buying time until the end game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 09:14 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Hillary is a shoe in....it's already set
I hope you're joking

Old 05-13-2013, 09:14 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,872,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
What you say is true. However, most of those Republicans are coming from communities outside of large cities and the majority of voters in those communities do want them in there. Our Constitution was set up in a way that allows people outside of the large cities to actually have a say in the running of this country, instead of having things that are opposed to their values shoved down their throat without opposition. It was originally done to protect people who lived in small states from their interests being trampled on by larger states. Now it's a matter of the values and interests of the big cities versus the rest of us.
Have you looked at a map of these gerryrigged districts? Are you telling me that was the original intent of the Constitution? It's actually more like a way to thwart the original intent.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:16 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,911,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
I hope you're joking

The script is written already....

Hillary is going to run on the heels of "change" again... bucking the trend of "old, white haird anglo-saxons" is what sends this nation into a mouth foaming frenzy. And she will win.

The cons are going to throw Benghazi at her left and right and it will just zing off the voting public.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:17 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech
Actually, more voters voted for Democrats than Republicans in House races. The reason the House is Republican is due to gerrymandering districts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Which is a function of American politics and completely legal.
I didn't say it was illegal but it isn't because voters prefer Republicans to Democrats, as you previously claimed.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:22 AM

78,414 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
That's okay, since by all signs the Democrats will have control of the Presidency until 2020, at least.
I'm not terribly enthused given the democratic presidents history of caving in to the republicans on key issues. Clinton was TERRIBLE about that but gets a complete pass.

Now we have gun control dead and keystone alive and kicking because the dems are afraid they'll lose the Senate in 2014 if they push those issues.

Seriously, what good is it having those seats if you are too chicken to actually make a stand?

Old 05-13-2013, 09:23 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Hillary is going to run
I'm not convinced of that. And if she does, I'm not convinced she'll win. 2016 Is still a long way off, and to get there, we still have to traverse the implementation of the major portions of Obamacare. There is a very good chance that people will be quite upset with Democrats and the "change" they foisted upon us, against our will, come mid '14, and that anger could have some serious staying power.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:24 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Have you looked at a map of these gerryrigged districts? Are you telling me that was the original intent of the Constitution? It's actually more like a way to thwart the original intent.
The Constitution doesn't really lay out how they should be divvied up, just that they have to every 10 years after the census.

As you probably learned in school, redistricting occurs every 10 years as congressional boundaries are redrawn after the Census. What you may have forgotten is that it’s required by the Constitution.

The relevant passage is Article I, Section 2.

Redistricting, Gerrymandering and the Constitution

Does the party in charge attempt to do this in the manner that will benefit them the most? Most certainly but the Constitution also left it up to states as to how they elect their officials.

Gerrymandering has gone on in this country since even before the Constitution.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:27 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
But is that the point?
Yes, that's the point. Gerrymandering is not a valid rebuttal when both parties have and will continue to benefit from it. Gerrymandering is not exclusive to the GOP, so its a moot point. I didn't think I'd have to spell that out for you folks, but obviously I was wrong

Old 05-13-2013, 09:27 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
The premise is very simple:

1) The House will remain in GOP control from 2014-2016.

YES, it really is that easy to understand, even for low information liberals!

If you need further proof that the President no longer has any political clout, then look no further than the gun control vote, which didn't even make it out of the Democratic Senate!

LOL
All your gum flappin' doesn't change the fact that Romney got his ass kicked in November. You guys were the losers, not us. Don't forget that. And trying to find some way in which you can twist November into a non-defeat for your side is laughable.

So you can grasp on to all the straws you want in order to make yourself feel good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies