Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 01:00 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,670,949 times

Advertisements

This would be nothing more than sinister indoctrination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 01:48 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times
Just a little more evidence of how incompetant Holder is. The same guy that said criminals from other countries have a "right" to American citizenship. Hopefully he will some day get the mental health treatment he so obviously needs.

I really have to wonder why Obama hasn't fired him. He drags the entire administration down.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:04 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,731,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Just a little more evidence of how incompetant Holder is. The same guy that said criminals from other countries have a "right" to American citizenship. Hopefully he will some day get the mental health treatment he so obviously needs.

I really have to wonder why Obama hasn't fired him. He drags the entire administration down.
Yep. Are you potential terrorists on welfare? Approved! And here's your check for $100,000, courtesy of the American taxpayer.

A homeschooling family who supports themselves? No soup for you!

Obama hasn't fired him because Obama agrees with him. How many times have there been cries for Holder to step down? Obama has had plenty of cover to get rid of him. Holder is doing the work Obama wants him to do.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:07 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Holder goes after people who come here legally and support themselves ?

What about the 11-20 million unskilled, undedicated ones that are here and get on the dole ?

Old 05-02-2013, 02:15 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
There are standards of education that should be adhered to.

I can see some of your families did not adhere to standards when they educated (?) you.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:17 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,169,103 times
I LOVE how parents who homeschool their kids are so confident that they know enough to actually put their kids thru school. It's hysterical! You gotta have education standards people & it should be across the board. Why anyone would homeschool their kids is beyond me. I find it totally bizarre.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:20 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
I LOVE how parents who homeschool their kids are so confident that they know enough to actually put their kids thru school. It's hysterical! You gotta have education standards people & it should be across the board. Why anyone would homeschool their kids is beyond me. I find it totally bizarre.
Because our public school systems are doing just such an outstanding job!

Given the number of kids graduating from HS that are da*med near illeterate, why would you assume that parents are any LESS capable of educating their children than the public school system? Who is more motivated to do a good job? The people that brought the kid into this world, or the union worker fighting for more vacation and benefits with no accountability?

Old 05-02-2013, 02:23 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,266,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
That's a bit of a generalization. Some parents can't teach their kid not to pick up a gun and others send their kids to college by age 12.

Home-Schooled Teens Ripe for College - US News and World Report
Meet the family who sent six kids to college by age 12 - TODAY.com

Old 05-02-2013, 02:26 PM

602 posts, read 574,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
There are standards of education that should be adhered to.

I can see some of your families did not adhere to standards when they educated (?) you.

Obviously those standards are working so well since, as often claimed by liberals, the US keeps falling behind the rest of the world in education.

Last edited by PolymerMan; 05-02-2013 at 02:35 PM..

Old 05-02-2013, 02:29 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,496,683 times
Romeike v. Holder

1. The Romeike family, a devout Christian family who fled to the United States from Germany in 2008, has sought asylum in an effort to freely homeschool their six children.

2. U.S. law states that individuals can qualify for asylum if they can prove they are being persecuted because of their religious beliefs or because they are members of a particular social group. In 2010, the Romeike family was granted political asylum by an Immigration Judge n 2010.

3. U.S. Immigration and Custom Enforcement agency challenged the decision that has granted the Romeikes asylum, claiming that homeschoolers are not a particular social group because they don’t meet certain legal standards, and the home-schooled population is too vague and amorphous to constitute a social group.

4. Representing the U.S. Immigration and Custom Enforcement agency, the Department of Justice contended that the Romeikes’ case failed to show there was any religious discrimination because, among other reasons, the Romeikes didn’t prove that all homeschoolers are religious and that not all Christians believe they had to homeschool.

5. I’d like to see/read the comments being attributed to the Attorney General in their entirety and context in which they were made. I don’t think he has said the things whined about.

5. The extremist, Religious-right and general RWNJ community once again exaggerates the issues and their importance.

Here’s a perspective of the case/issue the OP chose not to include … which, when read with the earlier material provides some context and background:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/lovejoy...-v-holder.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies