Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 12:01 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,912,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
That's already been suggested. I guarantee you could go out deep in "The Res" to find an elderly Dine (Navajo to us) woman not able to follow your English. Is she not an American?
Different dynamic, no?

Last time I checked we aren't creating communities and reservation exempt from US legislation for Mexicans. Are Navajos illegally exploiting labor laws and social services? No they are not.

These were made for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 12:04 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:
And how much easier would it have been to describe this "mainstream culture"? You obviously have some idea what it is, but can't (or won't) put it into words. I'm just looking for something more valid than the nature of this topic; I don't think I've ever seen anyone in my family eat a taco in Mexico (nor have I when I am there), that's all been here in the rare times we have gone to Taco Bell.

What could be an equal affront to all of that "American culture" here?...

Then you're missing out. There are some good tacos in Mexico. Much less regulation than here, you can basically buy it on the street down there.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:32 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,848,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Then you're missing out. There are some good tacos in Mexico. Much less regulation than here, you can basically buy it on the street down there.
I don't doubt that it would be good. We've had hamburgers from a few different stands. Get gorditas all the time. There's just not the taco places I have noticed for that area of Mexico.

The idea isn't foreign to us, as we will cook a roast, shred the beef, add onions, cilantro and green sauce on corn tortillas (don't forget the limes), and there was one place we went to a couple of times there...

I guess I was thinking too much in the hard shell notion of what a "taco" typically means here...

Old 05-17-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Different dynamic, no?

Last time I checked we aren't creating communities and reservation exempt from US legislation for Mexicans. Are Navajos illegally exploiting labor laws and social services? No they are not.

These were made for them.
I'm just trying to inquire to what "America culture" is. Sure, a Navajo could exploit labor laws and/or social services. What is this "exempting" for Mexicans? Just wondering if there is any special deals I can use.

Can't somebody just summarize what this homogenous "American culture" is supposed to be?...

Old 05-17-2013, 02:04 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,912,262 times
Quote:
I'm just trying to inquire to what "America culture" is. Sure, a Navajo could exploit labor laws and/or social services. What is this "exempting" for Mexicans? Just wondering if there is any special deals I can use.

Can't somebody just summarize what this homogenous "American culture" is supposed to be?...
Does "homogeneous culture" need to be spelled out for you?

Just look in almost every other developed nation....they pretty much have homogeneous cultures.

I guess the melting pot theory has failed??..sorry? That's why you have a cultural divide in this country. Multiculturalism has failed and if you want to get serious about it....it's a false ideal. Because whoever procreates in the highest number will have the strongest influence on culture.

And at the end of the day, all culture is, is preference!

Nobody is saying what it's SUPPOSED to be... it's what they WANT it to be. And is there something wrong with that?

Old 05-17-2013, 02:18 PM

62,968 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Does "homogeneous culture" need to be spelled out for you?

Just look in almost every other developed nation....they pretty much have homogeneous cultures.

I guess the melting pot theory has failed??..sorry? That's why you have a cultural divide in this country. Multiculturalism has failed and if you want to get serious about it....it's a false ideal. Because whoever procreates in the highest number will have the strongest influence on culture.

And at the end of the day, all culture is, is preference!

Nobody is saying what it's SUPPOSED to be... it's what they WANT it to be. And is there something wrong with that?
Any one with half a brain knows there is an identifying culture in every country. Mexico and other Latino countries are Hispanic culturally. China and Japan are Asian culturally. The list goes on and on. Along with those identfying cultures is a common, dominant langauge. In very country there are sub-cultures that exist along with the main one but so what? They don't represent mainstream. Those who are in constant denial that the USA doesn't have one or demand an explanation for it when it is right under their noses IMO can't stand what it is and wish to change it to something else instead. How anti-American is that? I think there is a descriptive word for those people like that and is they are xenophiles. They have somehow managed to become self-haters who have turned their backs on their own culture and demographics and adopt a foreign one instead. It's a textbook case for psychology 101.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:35 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Quote:
Well, much of the time I have to strongly hint so I am sure you get what I am trying to say...

So what are the other identifying factors to "American culture"?...
This is much more identified as an American food no need for a special Holiday!

Old 05-18-2013, 12:35 PM

3,846 posts, read 2,385,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
The people who really think this is about eating tacos clearly need to go back to first grade to learn a little thing called "reading comprehension".
Or, sex education.

There seems to be some confusion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-30vYwgwJU

Old 05-18-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Any one with half a brain knows there is an identifying culture in every country...
But a country may not have a primary identifying culture that no other country has...

Quote:
Mexico and other Latino countries are Hispanic culturally...
Mexico has a different culture than other Latino countries, as much as their culture may differ from each other...

Quote:
...China and Japan are Asian culturally...
The cultures of China and Japan are very different...

Quote:
...The list goes on and on. Along with those identfying cultures is a common, dominant langauge. In very country there are sub-cultures that exist along with the main one but so what? They don't represent mainstream. Those who are in constant denial that the USA doesn't have one or demand an explanation for it when it is right under their noses IMO can't stand what it is and wish to change it to something else instead. How anti-American is that? I think there is a descriptive word for those people like that and is they are xenophiles. They have somehow managed to become self-haters who have turned their backs on their own culture and demographics and adopt a foreign one instead. It's a textbook case for psychology 101.
All that, when you can't describe what a homogenous "American culture" is...

Old 05-19-2013, 01:36 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Even the Mexican food we eat is American culture. We don't generally eat the really authentic tacos made of grasshoppers and other insects or made from eyeballs. We might like the Americanized shreadded beef and ground beef tacos, but a lot of Americans aren't as into the "tripas ricas" (delicious guts) kind of tacos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies