Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 06:49 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,994,583 times

Advertisements

I remember where I was on 9/11/01.

It was just after 6 A.M PDT and I was still asleep, about to wake up to go to work.

Instead of being awaken by alarm clock, I was awaken by my roommate who informed me that "the United States was being attacked".

I remember the fighter jets patrolling over where I slept that night, relailzing that President Bush had given the prudent order to shut down the air transport system, and that the only aircraft aloft must be being piiloted by an airman risking his life to preserve mine.

I cried a lot during the early morning of 9/12/01.

I didn't sleep much.

Later, once I understood that al Qaida and OBL were responsible for the attack on our homeland, I began to think about the audacity and sheer ingenuity of what had occurred.

I did not at all condone the attack, but I did appreciate its elements, and the planning that had to go into such an undertaking.

While I did not sympathize with the hijackers, I did understand that they sacrificed themselves for something that they believed in - and had to give them grudging respect, if only to be able to understand them better, much like my grandparents had to understand when Japanese kamikazis were crashing into U.S. ships during WW2.

So - I have to wonder - did Dzhakhar really thnk that he was acting in accordance to the will of Allah, or was he brainwashed by his radicalized brother?

The answer does not matter much, Dzhokhar still committed a grievous evil, and must meet appropriate justice.

I just wonder if he was caught up in somethng that went awry.

Last edited by Harrier; 05-13-2013 at 07:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 06:58 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,908,227 times
Apparently he did....because the sex offers from dumb birds are rolling in.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:25 PM

796 posts, read 1,161,842 times
Yes he did. Death sentence for him

Old 05-13-2013, 10:38 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,994,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLess View Post
Yes he did. Death sentence for him
The death penalty is cruel and unusual.

It violates the 8th Amendment.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:48 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,923,944 times
Well, I respect that you would take the time to understand the motivations of terrorists. I think that is helpful if we ever want to prevent further attacks like that.

I think Dzhakhar knew what he was doing, and he thought it was a noble cause. I do not think he was motivated by religion. He was a pot head and typical teenager in many ways, not someone who was a devout Muslim. He said himself that he was motivated to do it because of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. If you take the time to just look at videos and pictures of what our country has done to innocent children over there (just as gruesome or more than Boston, but done to thousands of more people!!), you can easily see why someone would try something so violent to try to stop it. I don't condone it at all...he killed a little boy and other innocent people (and it did not help his cause one bit!), but I do respect anyone who would try to take a stand against a world superpower who has acted so unjustly at the expense of hundreds of thousands of innocent lives.

This is not Iraq or Afghanistan, but similar things are happening there, and one reason terrorists want us all dead:

Old 05-13-2013, 10:54 PM

816 posts, read 1,946,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
The death penalty is cruel and unusual.

It violates the 8th Amendment.
I doubt it.

If one of your siblings or your spouse or whatever died in the marathon attack, there is a good chance you would have thought death penalty for him would be good.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:56 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,102,609 times
What?

who do think were the real perps of the incidents you mentioned?

Don't look to closely, or you will see the "official stories" are full of holes. And when you observe that, you will be asking very different questions.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by An0nym0us88 View Post
I doubt it.

If one of your siblings or your spouse or whatever died in the marathon attack, there is a good chance you would have thought death penalty for him would be good.
I would not. "An eye for an eye makes only ends up making the whole world blind." -Gandhi

Someone has to stand up and choose to stop more violence.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:59 PM

816 posts, read 1,946,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soanchorless View Post
I would not. "An eye for an eye makes only ends up making the whole world blind." -Gandhi

Someone has to stand up and choose to stop more violence.
Gandhi? Really? Wow, ok.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by An0nym0us88 View Post
Gandhi? Really? Wow, ok.
Do you have a problem with Gandhi? He took on a world superpower and won. And he didn't shed a single drop of blood to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies