Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 01:07 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
I am fully supportive of a womans right to abortion, it does not take religion or morality for me to know that it is not my right or choice to tell a woman that she has to carry an unwanted fetus to full term to satisfy others. To me it is morally wrong to tell a woman that she has no choice and to force more children upon an overwhelmed world.
Sorryto tell you, but you are immoralif you think that it is OK to destroy human life.

You condone abortion - so you have a very low opinion of human life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 01:08 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,909,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soanchorless View Post
I feel that you must have read a lot of Christian literature in your day to have come to that conclusion.

The Golden Rule and the Foundation of Objective Morality
I have read a decent share of Chrisitian and/or Catholic material...but that is neither here nor there.

My point was..there is no "objective morality"..if you say there IS, then you are an Agnostic..at the very least.

If you claim all morals are subjective than you are simply subscribing to values! It's semantics but it needs to be clarified simply because of the common understanding of morality...it is more times than not thought to be inherent.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:10 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,924,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
I have read a decent share of Chrisitian and/or Catholic material...but that is neither here nor there.

My point was..there is no "objective morality"..if you say there IS, then you are an Agnostic..at the very least.

If you claim all morals are subjective than you are simply subscribing to values! It's semantics but it needs to be clarified simply because of the common understanding of morality...it is more times than not thought to be inherent.
How can the golden rule not be objective? Human beings, aside from psychopaths, are empathetic creatures. There is plenty of objective, scientific evidence to confirm this. If you have empathy, you have an intrinsic ability to understand the golden rule.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:13 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,356,148 times
That quote is just a smarmy condescending slap to religious people.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:15 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,146,205 times
What is more wrong? Ending the life of an undeveloped being that has yet to experience, and is in fact not capable of experiencing full consciousness or subjectivity, or forcing a fully developed, fully sapient human being with a far more developed capacity to experience suffering (both physical and emotional) to carry the previously mentioned being around against her will, even if it is painful or dangerous or disgusting to her, and then forcing others to bear the enormous tax burden of helping her bring the baby to term, paying for the hospital costs, and potentially even paying for the costs of letting the child languish in the foster care system for years.

The aborted baby will never know that it was aborted. But the woman who was denied the essential services she needed in order to control the course of her life as she saw fit will be forced to undergo potentially intense suffering with the full knowledge that the only reason for it is because some people out there consider her less of a person and less worthy of the respect and dignity due to a human being than an undeveloped fetus. I've never been a woman and I never will be, but it doesn't require much imagination to see how discouraging and diminishing that must be.

People go on about the destruction of human life, but they have no qualms whatsoever about seriously disrupting a fully developed human's life, possibly permanently. As long as that fetus comes to term, it's all worth it, right? The person who had to carry it is just some thing, a factor, a bit of information, an annoyance. And that is why I see people like Harrier as heinously immoral. They go on and on and on about human life and its sacredness, while not only willfully, but gladly supporting causes that cause human beings intense misery and suffering, and possibly even administering some suffering themselves. And not just over abortion, but other things as well. As many things as they possibly can. Anything they can do or say or legislate to diminish the humanity and personhood of everyone who is "other".

This is not moral. It is the height of absolute depravity; it spits in the face of the Golden Rule (and all of its variations and corollaries), and their view of themselves as actually being morally upright shows just how far gone they are. One must reach truly monumental levels of derangement before being able talk about valuing human life while simultaneously using your boot to stomp on the faces of your fellow human beings and drive them into submission.

Last edited by Lunar Delta; 05-14-2013 at 01:31 AM..

Old 05-14-2013, 01:18 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,490,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Sorryto tell you, but you are immoralif you think that it is OK to destroy human life.

You condone abortion - so you have a very low opinion of human life.
A fetus is not a human life. It is immoral to think that every single pregnancy should be brought to term to create another human life to overwhelm the planet with more humans when there are already 7.3 billion of us here. How can it be moral to force a woman to give birth or endure a nine month pregnancy that she does not want or cannot afford. I have a high enough opinion of life to respect what others need or want to do with their bodies. Sorry to tell you, but you are not the tell all for morality.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:21 AM

I'm not really into getting into an abortion debate, here, but it is important to realize that a fetus is not a sentient being until about 16 weeks. That opens up a whole 'nother moral can of worms when you feel it okay to kill other sentient beings (like pigs you eat who have the cognitive ability of a 3 year old human), but think it is immoral to kill a non-sentient fetus. Or say one in a tubal pregnancy that has no chance of survival but will definitely kill the mother if not aborted. If it is not okay to kill a fetus, ever, then it shouldn't be in the case of a tubal pregnancy, but most pro-life people, if faced with that situation, would choose to abort.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:22 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,490,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soanchorless View Post
How can the golden rule not be objective? Human beings, aside from psychopaths, are empathetic creatures. There is plenty of objective, scientific evidence to confirm this. If you have empathy, you have an intrinsic ability to understand the golden rule.
And one does not need the bible to know how the golden rule works. Poke me in the eye, it hurts, if I poke you in the eye, it hurts you. If I do not want to get poked in the eye, I wont go poking anyone else in the eye and hope for the same in return. Good begats good, bad begats bad. That is pretty much how my mom explained it, leaving out god and the bible.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:35 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
A fetus is not a human life. It is immoral to think that every single pregnancy should be brought to term to create another human life to overwhelm the planet with more humans when there are already 7.3 billion of us here.
If a woman and a man willingly engage in sexual relations, then they are responsible for the result.

If a man or a woman are unwilling to raise a child, then they should practice abstinence.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
If a woman and a man willingly engage in sexual relations, then they are responsible for the result.

If a man or a woman are unwilling to raise a child, then they should practice abstinence.
What about rape? Or do you think that women can shut that stuff off?

Quote:
The national rape-related pregnancy rate is 5.0% per rape among victims of reproductive age (aged 12 to 45); among adult women an estimated 32,101 pregnancies result from rape each year. Among 34 cases of rape-related pregnancy, the majority occurred among adolescents and resulted from assault by a known, often related perpetrator. Only 11.7% of these victims received immediate medical attention after the assault, and 47.1% received no medical attention related to the rape. A total 32.4% of these victims did not discover they were pregnant until they had already entered the second trimester; 32.2% opted to keep the infant whereas 50% underwent abortion and 5.9% placed the infant for adoption; an additional 11.8% had spontaneous abortion.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8765248
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies