Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 08:15 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,518,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
2006 Louisiana Laws - RS 14:107.2 — Hate crimes

More Sharing ServicesShare | Share on googlebuzzShare on email

View Current Version
§107.2. Hate crimes
A. It shall be unlawful for any person to select the victim of the following offenses against person and property because of actual or perceived race, age, gender, religion, color, creed, disability, sexual orientation, national origin, or ancestry of that person or the owner or occupant of that property or because of actual or perceived membership or service in, or employment with, an organization: first or second degree murder; manslaughter; battery; aggravated battery; second degree battery; aggravated assault with a firearm; terrorizing; mingling harmful substances; simple, forcible, or aggravated rape; sexual battery, second degree sexual battery; oral sexual battery; carnal knowledge of a juvenile; indecent behavior with juveniles; molestation of a juvenile; simple, second degree, or aggravated kidnapping; simple or aggravated arson; placing combustible materials; communicating of false information of planned arson; simple or aggravated criminal damage to property; contamination of water supplies; simple or aggravated burglary; criminal trespass; simple, first degree, or armed robbery; purse snatching; extortion; theft; desecration of graves; institutional vandalism; or assault by drive-by shooting.

So basically if you select the victim of one of the enumerated offenses because of race or color, it's a hate crime in Louisiana.

Let's review the facts as we know them: Black dude tells white dude pumping gase at a gas station that he's in the wrong neighborhood and won't make it out before assaulting white dude.

Sounds like an assault, perhaps aggravated assault against a victim selected due to his race and/or color.

Sounds like a hate crime to me under the relevant statute.

Now, the police and prosectur no doubt to an extent answer to people to an extent in that very neighborhood where the crime ocurred, so they may not view it as a hate crime, but it certainly is one under the statute.
but did the suspect say "you're in the wrong neighborhood 'white boy'" or anything else to that effect. he may have meant that it was a dangerous neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 08:18 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,518,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
The black population is apx 5% of the pop..... What is the crime rate for that pop?
just so you know I am a very rural dweller in NH.. Things don't work here like they do in the other 47 lower states.
what does any of that have to do with my post? and the US population is 13% black. where do you get 5%? lastly, anyone without a felony can own a gun, so walking around like you're dirty harry may get you in a shoot out some day.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:32 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Hmm, it started with a pink shirt, the guy was wearing? Sounds to me, the balck guy, might have used a gay slur, and tripped the white guys ttigger. Then, the whole "being in the wrong neighborhood" thing escalated from there. It quite possibly could be seen as the attacker thought the guy assaulted was gay, and it turned racial, in part.

Or, at least, a gay slur was used, in reference to the pink shirt. That, certainly, qualifies as a hate crime. Heterosexual whit men, get all the press for hate crimes, of all kinds. Whether its racially motivated or "gay bashing", we are the ones in the spotlight.

When my lady was attacked, it was a Hispanic male who was tbe perp. He used the term "white b****" during his assault. They didn't tack on a hate crime, though I think they should have. Guess it won't matter in the end. He will NEVER tryand rape another woman. Of any color.

This did not happen in a "bad area". It was tbe parking lot of a large hospital, where she works. Most of us know our own areas, and where our particular ethnicity is out of place. We shouldn't have to worry about that, but it's how it is. There is a LOT of violent hate out there. We all have to be ready for anything.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:36 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,120,288 times
Quote:
He was told he was in the "wrong neighborhood" and then assaulted. As the family was white and the assailant black, in a black neighborhood, one can conclusively conclude this was racially motivated.

From the article:

"It went on to read, 'the defendant told him he was in the wrong neighborhood and he was not going to make it out." The victim said that's when he "was punched and knocked to the ground.'"

Reverse the facts and you have a hate crime, probably one that makes the national news and gets comments from Obama and Holder. Of course, reverse the facts and you wouldn't have a crime because the black family wouldn't be assaulted for being in the "wrong neighborhood."
You can get assaulted for being in the wrong neighborhood. Especially if your a young black male. I didn't research this particular incident enough to see if it would qualify as a hate crime, but being assaulted or harassed for being in the wrong neighborhood does happen in some cities.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:41 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,603,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
just so you know I am a very rural dweller in NH..
No kidding. Sounds like you are afraid of your own shadow. Very sad.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:06 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
The dude shouldn't have worn a pink suit.

That is gay.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I'd also advise pink shirt guy not to engage in verbal altercations with strangers.
I'd advise him to not wear a pink shirt.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:11 PM

Quote:
I also trust that if a black motorist is assaulted in a white part of town under similar circumstances that the advice will be the same- just keep your mouth shut and move on.
A black motorist wouldn't be assaulted in a white part of town.

That doesn't happen.

It only occurs in the "jungle".

Old 05-14-2013, 11:33 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
You mention whites who are performing servies in those neighborhoods. They're relatively safe , but postal workers in Brownsville, NY are being criticized for being too afraid to deliver mail there.
Do you have any idea how many black neighborhoods there are in NYC? A lot, believe me.

Brownsville happens to be the worst neighborhood in the borough. Blacks also live in East New York, Flatbush, Bed Stuy, Coney Island, Red Hook, Greenpoint, Crown Heights, Fort Greene...etc..postal workers don't seem to have any problems going to those places. And that's just Brooklyn. I'm not even talking about black areas in the 4 other boroughs.

So again, why do we pretend that the exception is the rule? It's ridiculous. Like i said, whites go into black neighborhoods a million times a day in America without incident. But ONE incident happens that might have racial undertones, and all of a sudden we're supposed to believe that whites will all get killed if they venture into a black neighborhood.

SMH...the evidence doesn't bear that out.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:17 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,946,110 times
Quote:
It went on to read, "the defendant told him he was in the wrong neighborhood and he was not going to make it out." The victim said that's when he "was punched and knocked to the ground."

That is about the time you pull out your concealed carry and defend yourself. In my case, even if I didn't have time to get it out, my wife would have showed up (as did his) and done the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies