Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2013, 11:28 PM

29,409 posts, read 21,978,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
It makes perfect sense. You have the liberty to drink as you see fit. However, no one has the right to use their liberty to harm others. No right is absolute. As the adage goes, "your freedom ends at my nose."

If people want to get drunk, let them do so where they can cause no harm to others. What they do to themselves is their right, and no matter how stupid we think it may be, they can do as please to themselves, but not others.
Yes but the government allows you to legally get to the point if irresponsibility (drinking) and then punishes you when you act irresponsible (driving). It makes no sense IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
It is mandatory jail time if you are convicted of DUI, or if you refuse to rake either the sobriety test or the breathalyzer test. Personally, if given the choice (which is not always the case) I would take the breathalyzer test. At least the breathalyzer test is far more objective than the highly subjective sobriety test.

If I am driving anything, hunting, fishing (I am armed for bear when fishing), or target practicing, I never drink alcohol. Being even slightly impaired is simply not worth the risk.
You got that right. The punishment nowdays is not just a slap on the wrist. I remember "back in the day" in hi skool getting pulled over and the cops just telling you to dump your beer out and go home and if they saw you out again your in trouble. Now its off to jail you go.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:35 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,414,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Yes but the government allows you to legally get to the point if irresponsibility (drinking) and then punishes you when you act irresponsible (driving). It makes no sense IMO.
True, and you can even get beyond being irresponsible if you so desired, as long as you remember not to drive. When you get into the driver's seat, you become a weapon. No different than a firearm, in my opinion. It is being impaired while being supposedly in control of a deadly weapon that makes no sense to me.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:44 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,267,711 times
Quote:
You got that right. The punishment nowdays is not just a slap on the wrist. I remember "back in the day" in hi skool getting pulled over and the cops just telling you to dump your beer out and go home and if they saw you out again your in trouble. Now its off to jail you go.
Yes, however ask yourself the question why? The American PEOPLE got fed up with drunken driving. People are getting killed and maimed, all day, each day, all across this country. Therefore, the majority of this country want strict DUI laws and yes, that includes me.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:44 PM

Ah yes but it is legal to get impaired and when your impaired some do irresponsible things like handling a firearm while impaired. When your impaired you don't remember not to drive or not to handle firearms. Well some folks anyway. So they should just ban alcohol if they really want to save everybody. But that wouldn't generate any revenue for the state.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Yes, however ask yourself the question why? The American PEOPLE got fed up with drunken driving. People are getting killed and maimed, all day, each day, all across this country. Therefore, the majority of this country want strict DUI laws and yes, that includes me.
Well your "strict" DUI laws aren't keeping the habitual offenders off the roads. What it is doing is punsihing folks for having a beer or two after work or watching the ballgame.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:59 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,414,723 times
Quote:
Well your "strict" DUI laws aren't keeping the habitual offenders off the roads. What it is doing is punsihing folks for having a beer or two after work or watching the ballgame.
I would have to drink four beers within an hour to have a BAC of 0.046.

I only drink at home or at a friend's house, and if I drink at a friend's home, they know I am staying the night.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:08 AM

3,807 posts, read 4,267,711 times
Quote:
Then I suggest you get the 70-80% of the people in this country who agree with me and not you, to change their minds, huh?

In 1990, I gave CPR to a 3 month old child who died in arms, after being involved in a DUI crash. Her 7 yr old brother died too, and her 9 yr old sister was severly disabled.

The suspect? He had a few beers too. Only .10, right at the legal limit (which it was then, for all you perfectionists and young people who have no clue). He wasn't a habitual drunk driver. In fact, never been arrested before in his life. Killed two kids, maimed a third, and their mother.

He spent 10 yrs in prison...

Old 05-16-2013, 12:10 AM

Well I'm not going to get into the how many beers and who is drunker or not or who can handle their lick her or not but the laws aren't keeping the problem drinkers and drivers off the roads. In my opinion anyway. Hell a good lawyer and enough money you can get five or six and still be out of jail and driving. Oh don't have a license so what. Just hope you don't get caught is all they do. I doubt anythign will change anyway because .05 is way too low.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Then I suggest you get the 70-80% of the people in this country who agree with me and not you, to change their minds, huh?

In 1990, I gave CPR to a 3 month old child who died in arms, after being involved in a DUI crash. Her 7 yr old brother died too, and her 9 yr old sister was severly disabled.

The suspect? He had a few beers too. Only .10, right at the legal limit (which it was then, for all you perfectionists and young people who have no clue). He wasn't a habitual drunk driver. In fact, never been arrested before in his life. Killed two kids, maimed a third, and their mother.

He spent 10 yrs in prison...
Now one example is supposed to represent every situation. Did the "few beers" even contribute to the accident? How many do they contribute to? Oh well somebody had a beer that HAS to be why they got in a wreck. All those sober people who cause accidents because they are ****ty drivers must really be drunks in disguise??? Now you say 80% think .05 should be the legal limit? Where are you getting this from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies