Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 02:54 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post

What the cheer leaders fail to mention though is that everything else be it fees, licenses, etc... are on the verge of ridiculous. For instance, look up their vehicle registration costs, it is.. completely stupid as they make you pay a lot more based on the type, value, year, make, type of fuel it uses while in Texas, we pay a flat fee based simply on type, weight. The prices are night and day. Only in a liberal cesspool do they make you pay more for a stupid license because your car costs more. Go ahead, look up how they have to calculate it. It takes a special calculator from them to even figure it out and this is common for most things in CA..
See post #52 for some facts on this topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 02:54 PM

78,405 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
The money has to come out of somewhere. In California it's at the state level, in Texas it's at the local level. Net result is the taxpayer in both states is on the hook for nearly the same amounts.
Except California's pension estimate is probably 1/2 trillion low....give or take.

I'd love to see someone do some legwork on TX, I've done enough heavy lifting in this thread.

However, they don't seem to be in nearly as bad of trouble given that the bond ratings are a clear tip-off to a states true debt ratio and California is at the bottom of the pack. If TX and other states had similar massively underestimated debts it would show up in their bond ratings too.

However, it would be interesting to see what sort of est. TX has for unfunded pension liability and what discount rate they are using.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:55 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
The money has to come out of somewhere. In California it's at the state level, in Texas it's at the local level. Net result is the taxpayer in both states is on the hook for nearly the same amounts.
No, they are not. See post #52.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:57 PM

20,459 posts, read 12,379,585 times
Here is some interesting information

Total taxes collected
http://www2.census.gov/govs/statetax/12staxrank.pdf

CA ranked first at $112,374,263
Texas came in third at 48,596,548
NY came in second even though Texas has a higher GDP. That is wild.

Those are shocking differences.

GDP data
List of U.S. states by GDP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

At the end of the day CA is taking 6% of GDP in taxes and Texas is taking 4%

Texas clearly has the lead in return on services rendered.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:57 PM

78,405 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Arizona does the same thing and it is hardly a liberal cesspool. It is like paying more for your house because it is worth more.
^^^^Yep. Kansas also has a vehicle property tax. Curse you Kansas you liberal cesspool!

Seriously, most of the time people around here complain about liberals and conservatives it's immediately followed by a flurry of stupidity, misrepresentation and lies.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:00 PM

20,459 posts, read 12,379,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Except California's pension estimate is probably 1/2 trillion low....give or take.

I'd love to see someone do some legwork on TX, I've done enough heavy lifting in this thread.

However, they don't seem to be in nearly as bad of trouble given that the bond ratings are a clear tip-off to a states true debt ratio and California is at the bottom of the pack. If TX and other states had similar massively underestimated debts it would show up in their bond ratings too.

However, it would be interesting to see what sort of est. TX has for unfunded pension liability and what discount rate they are using.

I am speaking without solid knowlege but this might be hard to do, as Texas has Indpendant School Districts that are their own taxing autorities. I suspect to get your answer, you would have to do that math for all of them. and there are a BUNCH of them....

Old 05-15-2013, 03:08 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

Here's an article on funded pensions for states.
Texas showed 83% funded in 2011
CA showed 77% funded in 2011

Report: 21 States

Old 05-15-2013, 03:10 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I am speaking without solid knowlege but this might be hard to do, as Texas has Indpendant School Districts that are their own taxing autorities. I suspect to get your answer, you would have to do that math for all of them. and there are a BUNCH of them....
But pensions are still at the state level, even for teachers.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:24 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Here's an article on funded pensions for states.
Texas showed 83% funded in 2011
CA showed 77% funded in 2011

Report: 21 States
I think we can all agree that, thanks to Obama's steady hand on the tiller, all the state funds are in much better shape than they were in 2011.

Old 05-15-2013, 04:11 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,117,467 times
Our state leadership likes to pound their chest over the job growth but is dragging its feet on the other side of the equation (infrastructure needed to keep up with growth).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies