Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Trust the Federal Government?
Yes 13 11.40%
No 101 88.60%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 08:36 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Judging by the results of the poll I think I'm in the majority when I say HELL NO!!!! My question is, and obviously this is only a small sampling of the population with this poll, but if this is the consensus that most people do not trust the Federal Government, then why in the HELL are we continuing to elect the same old empty suits from both corrupt parties? In short, if you want real change get off your a**es on election day and vote the majority of these SOBs out!!!! Don't whine that the lines are too long at the polls, or that it's too inconvenient! We get the government that we deserve, and by not voting just means you're OK with the status quo.
The folks on C-D here are knowledgeable. Most Americans aren't'.
So your poll is skewed in that the percentage of apathetic Americans is much greater in the general populace then here on C-D.

41% don't know who the Vice President is and you can bet that a lot of them voted for his party in 2012.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 08:37 AM

5,466 posts, read 4,422,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
The last one of my ancestors to trust the U.S. Government fell for the line "Move to the reservation, we'll take care of you."
Yep, good point. Talk to someone on the reservation and after that see if you trust the government.

Native Americans who live on reservations deal with the federal government through 2 agencies: the Bureau of Indian Affairs and the Indian Health Service.

The quality of life on some reservations is comparable to that in the developing world, with issues of infant mortality, life expectancy, malnutrition and poverty, and alcohol and drug abuse. For example, Shannon County, South Dakota, home of the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, is routinely described as one of the poorest counties in the nation.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:37 AM

796 posts, read 1,162,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
It's not up to the Government to favor or promote any religion.
Why not?

Old 05-15-2013, 08:38 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,109,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLess View Post
Why not?

Read the constituion, concentrate on the first amendment, then get back to me.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:39 AM

5,466 posts, read 4,422,314 times
Obama wants bigger and bigger government. He is trying to sell it to the young.

Obama talking about the government:
"Unfortunately, you've grown up hearing voices that incessantly warn of government as nothing more than some separate, sinister entity that's at the root of all our problems.

They'll warn that tyranny always lurking just around the corner. You should reject these voices. Because what they suggest is that our brave, and creative, and unique experiment in self-rule is somehow just a sham with which we can't be trusted."

Old 05-15-2013, 08:48 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
The answer is No, obviously.

But who DO I trust? Basically nobody. If we're making a comparison, government is more trustworthy than private corporations.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:28 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by never-more View Post
This. Everyone is complaning about the situation. Political correctness, the War on Drugs, police states, etc. They say to stop being sheep. But the problem is that we are not sheep, but bulls in a "running of the bulls" accident, furious and confused with no direction to go. But to change a country, we must change ourselves. Pessimists always get their self-fulfilling prophacy. Are you a bull, or will you hold your head up high, and march into the furniture?
Thank you. I like the "running of the bulls" analogy. I really don't think people want change. They'll b*** and moan, and before you know it "the land of the free" is no longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The folks on C-D here are knowledgeable. Most Americans aren't'.
So your poll is skewed in that the percentage of apathetic Americans is much greater in the general populace then here on C-D.

41% don't know who the Vice President is and you can bet that a lot of them voted for his party in 2012.
That is sad. No wonder some people think that people should own property, or have an IQ test to be allowed to vote. Of course I don't agree with that, but it just goes to show how easily people are led around by the nose. My mom used to tell me that when I reached my senior year "you're going to hate taking government." She said it was boring. You know what? I found it quite interesting, and got A's and B's in it. It is part of our history, and it's a very important part, because in some ways we are forgetting about the ideals that this nation was founded upon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLess View Post
Why not?
Who are you to say that your religious view is the right one, and mine isn't? Kind of hard to do when you have differing versions of Christianity! Try having a state sponsored religion, and you'd be in for one hell of a fight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
Obama wants bigger and bigger government. He is trying to sell it to the young.

Obama talking about the government:
"Unfortunately, you've grown up hearing voices that incessantly warn of government as nothing more than some separate, sinister entity that's at the root of all our problems.

They'll warn that tyranny always lurking just around the corner. You should reject these voices. Because what they suggest is that our brave, and creative, and unique experiment in self-rule is somehow just a sham with which we can't be trusted."
I call this brainwashing.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:46 AM

15,089 posts, read 8,631,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Judging by the results of the poll I think I'm in the majority when I say HELL NO!!!! My question is, and obviously this is only a small sampling of the population with this poll, but if this is the consensus that most people do not trust the Federal Government, then why in the HELL are we continuing to elect the same old empty suits from both corrupt parties? In short, if you want real change get off your a**es on election day and vote the majority of these SOBs out!!!! Don't whine that the lines are too long at the polls, or that it's too inconvenient! We get the government that we deserve, and by not voting just means you're OK with the status quo.

The poll seems to be very reflective of the general approval ratings congress receives ... which the last one I recall was 9%, which is abysmal, and one has to wonder why there hasn't been a 5 Million man march to DC to drag these clowns out of the capitol building and tarred and feathered.

As for the part about voting ... please let me remind you of a few sad truths. 1) the two main parties control the entire system ... the dialog, the debate, even the issues discussed, and it's been that way for as long as everyone currently alive has been alive. 2) the two parties decide what choices you have to choose from, rendering your choice, no choice at all. 3) they have already been caught in acts of voting and ballot fraud on numerous occasions, meaning your vote itself is just an illusory exercise.

I know you don't mean to do this, but you are effectively blaming the victims of the fraud, rather than the criminals running the fraud, when you put the onus on the public for making poor electoral choices, when all we are really being offered is the same ole crap sandwich, on our choice of wheat, white, or rye. At the end of the day, whichever you choose is still a crap sandwich.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:00 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
The poll seems to be very reflective of the general approval ratings congress receives ... which the last one I recall was 9%, which is abysmal, and one has to wonder why there hasn't been a 5 Million man march to DC to drag these clowns out of the capitol building and tarred and feathered.

As for the part about voting ... please let me remind you of a few sad truths. 1) the two main parties control the entire system ... the dialog, the debate, even the issues discussed, and it's been that way for as long as everyone currently alive has been alive. 2) the two parties decide what choices you have to choose from, rendering your choice, no choice at all. 3) they have already been caught in acts of voting and ballot fraud on numerous occasions, meaning your vote itself is just an illusory exercise.

I know you don't mean to do this, but you are effectively blaming the victims of the fraud, rather than the criminals running the fraud, when you put the onus on the public for making poor electoral choices, when all we are really being offered is the same ole crap sandwich, on our choice of wheat, white, or rye. At the end of the day, whichever you choose is still a crap sandwich.

I agree with what you're saying. Still, I vote with my conscience. Yes, I'm trying to be optimistic. But if more people woke the f*** up and realized it for the sham that it is, that it is all about divide and conquer by distracting us with partisan hackery, and voted accordingly instead of the 2 main choices that we're offered, we would be better off!

Old 05-15-2013, 10:03 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post

Those "victims" put the ones running the fraud into office.
Everyone seems to think it's either D or R.

Well you know there were other choices in 2012 but most just settled for "the lesser of 2 evils".
If you really want change you have to take a risk. D and R is BAU and it's the same BAU no matter which of those two parties you pick. Yet most are afraid to take a chance and tell you that you "threw away your vote". Really ? So not voting for corrupt party A or corrupt party B is "throwing away my vote" ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies