Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 09:20 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,600,003 times

Advertisements

Next up...Scholarships for Rednecks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 09:21 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,520,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Even if this is a fact (can't say it is, and I doubt it is since blacks are outnumbered 6-1 to whites in America) it still does not eliminate the fact that discrimination is discrimination.

lol. Anecdotal "evidence" isn't applicable here. Plus there are too many variables even if this were true to apply it to this discussion.
so then, why do you think black people make up a big chunk of the post office? I know one thing, I had to take a timed test when I applied and I did not get the job. all the minorities that I know who worked at the P O, blacks and latino, did some time in the military. they get points added going in. it's not like someone is just handing black people these jobs, you have to be screened, you have to pass a test, etc.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:10 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,545,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
WHICH "whites"? Us "Irish" back in the day were lower down than free Blacks before the Civil War. Jews in some places had to put up with NOT allowed to live in certain areas not too long ago.
Well, if you ignore the fact that a white southerner could literally go to the north, declare any black person to be a slave, and that was that unless the black guy found multiple white people to vouch for him, no.

(Luckily, there were plenty of white people around that opposed slavery, and would vouch for a free black person)

Also, how many Irish people did General Lee capture and enslave during his march in the north? We know that is army enslaved roughly 1,000 black people living in the north...

Quote:
Us; Blacks from Africa and their US born kids are the MOST successful group in the US; which blows out "racism" as a huge reason keeping the Black man down. Sheesh!
Actually, the supposed amazing advantage African immigrants have disappears in two generations, and studies have shown that a large part of their advantage, aside from immigrants being an obvious filter against the average person, is that employers discriminate in their favor, and against black people with long roots in the US.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:16 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,555 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Even if this is a fact (can't say it is, and I doubt it is since blacks are outnumbered 6-1 to whites in America) it still does not eliminate the fact that discrimination is discrimination.
The thing you are "doubting" is the very thing we are talking about. The proportion of america in its entirety does not matter if the proportions applying are different. We know for a fact that African Americans hold more government jobs proportionally than make up in the general population, that is not an opinion, that is a fact.

But lets fall back to your specific comment.
Quote:

Not when there are quotas based on race. Universities that get federal dollars are in the business of doing this; public places of employment (police, fireman, USPS) are in the business of doing this. USPS, for example, is 25% "black" in numbers, yet black Americans are half that percentage of the overall American population.
you were arguing that the public sector has racial quotas, You never specified where you got this idea from other than the fact that more black people work for government disproportionally(which doesnt prove your point).

Job Cuts at U.S. Postal Service Hit Blacks Disproportionately Hard | Your Black World

Black Unemployment Crisis: Loss Of Government Jobs Hurts African Americans Hardest

How Do You Talk About Black Unemployment Without Talking About Government Jobs?

Old 05-16-2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
it's not ALL the white man's fault, but I have actual scientific studies to back up my statement. I didn't just pull this out of thin air.

Dr. David J. Leonard: White Denial and Black Middle-Class Realities (Part 1)

I'll just post this here, because it sites two of the studies I was talking about. one shows that people with "black sounding" names get fewer job call backs with the same qualifications. another shows that white felons get more job call backs than black men without criminal records.
Articles such as this point towards the major difference here, but they don't quite address it head on. The main difference between a "whites only" scholarship, and a "blacks only" scholarship, is that the latter seeks to address the centuries of systematic stripping of wealth from black communities via measures such as slavery, redlining, Jim Crow, and terrorism, while the former acts to maintain the issue.

It's a bit like when people whine about how "black pride" is fine, while "white pride" isn't. Yes, because the first is a reaction to a society that insisted that black people be ashamed of their skin color, and responded violently when they didn't, while the second slogan was claimed by those that had the violent response.

Now I'll grant, people should be allowed to do as they wish with their money. If someone left a university a "whites only" scholarship fund in 1920, so be it. But it's Columbia's choice whether or not to accept the funds.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
No, as i already stated, African Americans disproportionately apply for government jobs, so they disproportionally are also hired for government jobs. This is why there is a correlation between government getting rid of jobs and high black unemployment now.
It helps that the federal government, both at the post office and elsewhere, is known for using a rigorous hiring process to help avoid discrimination on the basis of any irrelevant factor. The private sector, on the other hand, is known for widespread discrimination based on skin color - only the technical fields manage to mostly avoid it.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:49 PM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,199,389 times
When you look at these scholarships they are inclusive of ALL races. Just because something says "Norwegian.." doesn't mean it is "whites" only.

A scholarship for blacks says right up front "Black males going to college.... "

And as someone who is white and went to college I looked at EVERY single opportunity out there. Not a lot. I put in that I was "black" and was flooded with scholarship opportunities.

Being from a very white area of the country my high school listed scholarships on a weekly basis that were available to students. Half of those listed were for blacks. We had like maybe 3 black students in a high school of 1500 students. I found it extremely ridiculous!

Old 05-16-2013, 11:40 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itz View Post
When you look at these scholarships they are inclusive of ALL races. Just because something says "Norwegian.." doesn't mean it is "whites" only.
Exactly it says you need to be a Greek-American, Irish-American, Jewish-American, German-American, Italian-American, Norwegian-American, ect. Nothing about being white. Also not all whites have these national backgrounds. I only have two of these in my in my bloodline and I am a self-proclaimed "Heinz 57."

Old 05-16-2013, 11:51 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:

A scholarship for blacks says right up front "Black males going to college.... "

And as someone who is white and went to college I looked at EVERY single opportunity out there. Not a lot. I put in that I was "black" and was flooded with scholarship opportunities.

Being from a very white area of the country my high school listed scholarships on a weekly basis that were available to students. Half of those listed were for blacks. We had like maybe 3 black students in a high school of 1500 students. I found it extremely ridiculous!
Sorry but I really could care less...people like yourself are given MANY advantages in this society so I really couldn't give a flying fig that you had problems finding scholarships for White people. There are many out there if you would take the time to seek them out. I am tired of lazy White students complaining about the lack of scholarships when the truth is that there are MANY scholarships available for White students.

Your entire life as a White person will afford you with privileges and advantages....and yet you have a problem with the small crumbs and sliver of pie tossed at Black students. Get out of here with that mess. Your comments are the epitome of the entitlement attitude on the part of White people like yourself.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:52 AM

154 posts, read 245,253 times
Quote:

Yup a Norwegian American scholarship does not = Whites only. A half Black and half Norwegian person can qualify for a Norwegian American scholarship even though that person does not have a Norwegian looking phenotype.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies