Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
Yes 19 44.19%
Meh, don't really care 9 20.93%
No 15 34.88%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 08:17 AM

207 posts, read 432,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
I challenge you, go on my profile and count how many threads I have commented on before this one, that was related to homosexuality before you find a thread that I commented on about homosexuality. You seem to have so much knowledge of what I do anyway. And by the way if you comment on the same threads that I comment on about homosexuality, what does that make you? Hmm...

By the way, don't try to change what said in that thread. You even admitted that my words were taken out of context. Don't change your story up out of convenience.
I let your ignorance slide once, but seeing it again, I realized there were no accidents or typos on your behalf.

I have never expressed any anti-gay biases unlike you. I have a life long friend who just happened to come out as a lesbian a few years ago. I am invested in the issues on a topic like this.

Interesting comparison there....one person who doesn't express anti-homosexual views, who is invested in the gay community and another person using the bible and personal biases to explain why gay people should considered sub-human or to quote you "of lesser value". One still looks far more suspect than the other.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:17 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
I'm not black, but....

I am strongly pro-gay rights and I have seen only few comparisons between the struggle for gay rights and the civil rights struggle of the 50s and 60s. Mostly I have seen this comparison being made as a photo of an interracial couple from decades ago, proclaiming that their marriage was once also illegal. I don't see that as a comparison to the civil rights movement, but rather as a symbol of how far society has come in such a short time but reminding us that we still have progress to make.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:22 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I'm not black, but....

I am strongly pro-gay rights and I have seen only few comparisons between the struggle for gay rights and the civil rights struggle of the 50s and 60s. Mostly I have seen this comparison being made as a photo of an interracial couple from decades ago, proclaiming that their marriage was once also illegal. I don't see that as a comparison to the civil rights movement, but rather as a symbol of how far society has come in such a short time but reminding us that we still have progress to make.

But again, anti-miscegenation wasn't a BLACK civil rights issue.

It was an Americans-of-all-races civil rights issue. One of my favorite signs: "Mr. Thomas, remember YOUR marriage was once illegal too!"

Old 05-16-2013, 08:24 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,667,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
No.

The freedom of religion IS a civil right.

If you're talking about what rights people have in their own religion --- well, frankly nobody gives a damn what you do to voluntarily restrict your freedoms as a human being.
Anti gay activity is religious.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:24 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,449,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I'm not even black and it drives me crazy when people do this.
It shouldn't, because it is the same kind of struggle as the one blacks went through. I'm sure there were many racists back in the day who said the same thing you're saying now with respect to black people.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:33 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
[quote=Geologic;29591314]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post

Okay.
I get your point, and you are right in many ways.
My point is that Gay sexuality can exist anywhere and anytime, so long as it is discrete.

I certainly don't think practicing homosexuals should be hauled off to jail, when consenting adults are involved.

If children are involved it is an entirely different matter, and I think the present level of Child abuse is far too high. I think slicing off one b@ll is a suitable punishment for the first offense. The second offense would get number two, and maybe end the abuse problem
I am no more indiscreet than most hetero couples, in fact about the most I do in public is hold hands.
That really doesn't matter when it comes to having the same protections and benefits that heterosexual couples have regardless of how they behave in public. A hetero couple could be making out in public and still go get married. I can't.

I'm with you on child abuse, whether hetero or homosexual.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:48 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Anti gay activity is religious.

Most of the time that self-induced affliction known as religion is the culprit, but not always.

(Though yes, most ORGANIZED anti-gay activity is religious. Guess they have to try to stay relevant SOMEHOW).

Old 05-16-2013, 08:51 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,252,682 times
There are some parallels but they are really entirely different animals. Being black is a physical characteristic and not something you can hide. Being gay is a state of mind and something that is very easy to hide. I haven't heard of any businesses banning gay patrons. Before you correct me, I know many have refused to support gay marriage or host a gay-themed event but as far as allowing gays themselves to patronize them, it is exceedingly rare. Compare that to the 50s when whites only cafes were everywhere. It's pretty safe to say blacks had it far worse in the civil rights era than gays do today. You don't see widespread gay riots. Aside from marriage, gays don't have to worry about blatant discrimination by the government or firemen emptying their firehoses on them. They just aren't the same and when the gay rights movement says their struggle is the same as the black struggle, that is a disgrace to what blacks went through.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:51 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,984,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGC Native View Post
I let your ignorance slide once, but seeing it again, I realized there were no accidents or typos on your behalf.

I have never expressed any anti-gay biases unlike you. I have a life long friend who just happened to come out as a lesbian a few years ago. I am invested in the issues on a topic like this.

Interesting comparison there....one person who doesn't express anti-homosexual views, who is invested in the gay community and another person using the bible and personal biases to explain why gay people should considered sub-human or to quote you "of lesser value". One still looks far more suspect than the other.
Look at this point, you are taking away from this thread and not adding anything of value other than following me around and showing your anger. If you thought what I was saying was so ridiculous you wouldn't waste your time. But with that said, I'm going to stop responding to your post on this thread if you continue to be off topic. If you are that offended by some of the things I have said, please feel free to PM me. I have no problem having a CIVIL discussion with you. I hold no ill will towards you but I honest don't think it's appropriate for you to bring this up in a thread that has very little to do with what we are discussing.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:52 AM

1,329 posts, read 1,103,804 times
[quote=jjrose;29591862]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geologic View Post

I am no more indiscreet than most hetero couples, in fact about the most I do in public is hold hands.
That really doesn't matter when it comes to having the same protections and benefits that heterosexual couples have regardless of how they behave in public. A hetero couple could be making out in public and still go get married. I can't.

I'm with you on child abuse, whether hetero or homosexual.
There we go...
It's about money isn't it?
I always suspected that. Gays just want to get on the gravity train.
I am against that part - too many benefits are being handed out already - more than we can afford,
and the country's bust. So whatever benefits they get, it won't be for long.

Give it up, the money's not even there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies