Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 11:17 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Lol it's like talking to a bunch of children...
They don't talk about good cops on the news, just the bad ones. This is not common, you don't know what you are talking about. You just see a couple bad cop news stories and label all cops bad cops? Lol.
I know cops and used to work with cops. I know what I am talking about.
Sure you do. I stand in awe of you. That you think I don't know what I'm talking about just crushes my self worth. How could I possibly compare my meager knowledge and experiences to your knowing and having worked with cops. With it being so obvious that I have no comparable experience.

Thank you, ever so much, for sharing your vast and worldly experience with me. I can only hope that my meager experiences might elevate to match yours, one fine day. I simply won't be able to rest, havinv been chastised by you. Your opinions ...they mean so MUCH to me. I feel soooo inadequate now. Do forgive my impertinence oh lofty and great LE Guru! I will endeavor to put my own experience and knowledge aside, i deference to yours, in tbe future.

Yea...right. ROFLMAO!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 07:37 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,880,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Sure you do. I stand in awe of you. That you think I don't know what I'm talking about just crushes my self worth. How could I possibly compare my meager knowledge and experiences to your knowing and having worked with cops. With it being so obvious that I have no comparable experience.

Thank you, ever so much, for sharing your vast and worldly experience with me. I can only hope that my meager experiences might elevate to match yours, one fine day. I simply won't be able to rest, havinv been chastised by you. Your opinions ...they mean so MUCH to me. I feel soooo inadequate now. Do forgive my impertinence oh lofty and great LE Guru! I will endeavor to put my own experience and knowledge aside, i deference to yours, in tbe future.

Yea...right. ROFLMAO!
Oddly enough, in my immediate social circle, the majority of my buddies actually work in law enforcement, and several working as either city or county officers. Near as I can tell from their coversations, there are no limits as to what an officer will do, given a situation where they lose their cool. (which is often)

While most of the time they are just trying to do the right thing, it almost seems they have some inability to excape the mindset that they are above the law, and that individual rights are trumped by the will of the officer.

Now, I think that sort of thing has been typical and common place over the years, but, now we are seeing a shift from renegade police brutality to a general mutated form of law enforcement dictated by the justice department and DHS who's basically changed our way of thinking since 9/11, illustrating the perception that EVERYONE is now a criminal or suspect, and that individual rights no longer apply. Not to mention, I think the violation of individual rights seems to be coming from some sort of order now, too.

Now, clearly, this does not apply toward all cops, because some of the cops I've encountered were cool as a cucumber. I'm just seeing a shift from how law enforcement views the public.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
Oddly enough, in my immediate social circle, the majority of my buddies actually work in law enforcement, and several working as either city or county officers. Near as I can tell from their coversations, there are no limits as to what an officer will do, given a situation where they lose their cool. (which is often)

While most of the time they are just trying to do the right thing, it almost seems they have some inability to excape the mindset that they are above the law, and that individual rights are trumped by the will of the officer.

Now, I think that sort of thing has been typical and common place over the years, but, now we are seeing a shift from renegade police brutality to a general mutated form of law enforcement dictated by the justice department and DHS who's basically changed our way of thinking since 9/11, illustrating the perception that EVERYONE is now a criminal or suspect, and that individual rights no longer apply. Not to mention, I think the violation of individual rights seems to be coming from some sort of order now, too.

Now, clearly, this does not apply toward all cops, because some of the cops I've encountered were cool as a cucumber. I'm just seeing a shift from how law enforcement views the public.
I know a lot of good cops to. Many of them came to my area and surrounding ones, to escape the rampant militarization of LE in large urban areas. I work as a volunteer assistant instructor with a large group here, training people for CCW qualifying, and supplementary training for LE. We have deputies from three different couties, that work with us as well. They are all SWAT qualified, and have a lot of time in uniform. Part of our regimine, includes training for prospective SWAT applicants, and our LE instructors are just as horrified by what we see come through as the rest of us.

The attitudes we run across are chilling. These types are always from the larger departments in the area, Reno/Sparks and sometimes Vegas. We have an outstanding staff, and an awsome facility. Its all, totally non profit, none of us are paid for what we do. Fees collected all go into range equipment and supplies. Our main focus is weapons familiarization and proficiency. We don't do entry tactics or anything of that sort,, though we do have a two day classroom session on law and rules of lethal force, mainly for the CCW qualifying. Mainly, we are a public service. And we are all volunteers. Our deputies, on staff, handle the LE stuff, an the rest of us assist as needed for this.

Most of the LE types that come for that part of it, are quite young. And act so, more often than not. Our instructors try to squelch the gung ho mentallity, which seems to pervade these guys. You are correct about the attitude of superiority, and limits of authority. The post Patriot Act mindset is scary. Closer to working with Marines than cops. Shock and awe, break things and kill people, and a view that the public, as a whole, is the enemy. It's a definate trend, and one, sadly, that does not seem to want to level out. Older, more seasoned and rational, officers are disappearing, to be replaced by the new "street soldier" breed. It's a hard situation to try and overcome, especially with this mentallity being sanctioned by the Feds and thus washing down into municipal departments. (Sigh)

Old 05-17-2013, 09:13 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,450,045 times
Ever take notice that the police states are mainly Dem controlled states? The useful idiots are wrong again!..LMAO! How do those bus tires feel Progs?

Old 05-17-2013, 11:13 AM

3,617 posts, read 1,821,088 times
I still believe with all my being that two specific things could change this ever deteriorating relationship between LEOs and society as a whole. The first is insure that the officers understand it isn't personal and to not take it personal. If the are incapable, they have no business in law enforcement. The second is ALL LEOs should be required to become proficient in verbal judo. These two things put together can and will effectively diffuse 99.9% of all lawful encounters and respectfully encourage the suspect's cooperation.

After all, doesn't society at large prefer a peaceful solution to all law enforcement encounters? Isn't that what LEOs want, or should I ask wasn't that the desired outcome LEOs use to prefer? What is the average LEOs desired outcome in any lawful encounter and how could they best achieve this outcome?

How would law enforcement be deterred by using these concepts along with being nice and being respectful? Would they be less effective in their jobs by doing this? Would society as a whole once again start respecting law enforcement if they followed these concepts? Is it REALLY that difficult, or does the minimum testosterone and roid content now required of all LEOs prevent such concepts and strategies from being implemented?

Old 05-17-2013, 01:18 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,930,930 times
What kind of cartoon world do you live in?

Interesting that no one is really tracking this. Even this site is kinda dead.
http://www.policemisconduct.net/stat...nduct_Trending
This is outdated, but interesting. (2010)

Last edited by CDusr; 05-17-2013 at 01:31 PM..

Old 05-17-2013, 01:39 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Per 100k officers

Old 05-17-2013, 04:23 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
What kind of cartoon world do you live in?

Interesting that no one is really tracking this. Even this site is kinda dead.
2010 Annual Report | PoliceMisconduct.net
This is outdated, but interesting. (2010)

Explain the difference in Reported & Accused?

Old 05-17-2013, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Explain the difference in Reported & Accused?
Uh huh. Isn't an accusation a report? Somebody told somebody, yea? So, I would reason, the "reports" are the "accusations" that were actually investigated. The latter being to blatant and big to ignore, vs the ones that could just be covered up. Lmao, yea, the powers that be must think we are all drooling morons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies