Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 10:36 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,791,847 times

Advertisements

Because it happened on Ronald Reagan's watch, even after he had been warned to move the base.

In 1983 debacle, Reagan escaped the blame game - phillyburbs.com: Entertainment

220 marines died. Republicans said nothing. No outrage aimed at Reagan. No accusations of "scandal." No calls for impeachment. As a matter of fact, the name "Reagan" is synonymous with "great President" to Republicans.

Why the double standard?

My own opinion is, until conservative denounce Reagan as a horrible failure as a president, I am not entertaining any criticism of President Obama on Benghazi and nobody else should.
"A former defense secretary for Ronald Reagan says he implored the president to put Marines serving in Beirut in a safer position before terrorists attacked them in 1983, killing 241 servicemen. "I was not persuasive enough to persuade the president that the Marines were there on an impossible mission," Caspar Weinberger says in an oral history project capturing the views of former Reagan administration officials."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 10:37 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,588,623 times
I will repeat what I just posted on another thread.....lefties need to stay FOCUSED and CURRENT. The CURRENT President is in scandal up to his eyeballs. Any mention of past President's just makes one look extremely idiotic.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
I will repeat what I just posted on another thread.....lefties need to stay FOCUSED and CURRENT. The CURRENT President is in scandal up to his eyeballs. Any mention of past President's just makes one look extremely idiotic.
Yea, I know..."Eyes front. Nothing to see here...Never mind that huge smoking crater back there... blah, blah, blah..."

Watching a 'scandal' evaporate before our very eyes - Democratic Underground

Last edited by Shankapotomus; 05-16-2013 at 10:49 AM..

Old 05-16-2013, 10:41 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,167,905 times
Quote:
Actually there is nothing wrong with studying history and understanding what has happened in the past to better understand what is happening in the present and could happen in the future.

As for this issue, the difference between what happened on Reagan's watch and what happened on Obama's watch is the internet. During Reagan, one couldn't just take to the internet and spread random articles that may or may not be true. Information didn't spread as fast then which meant more accurate information would come out when it came up. Nowadays, information comes out so fast before it is even able to be checked to see if it is true and accurate information.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
And besides..No one is asking anyone to not stay current...It is relevant to point out the hypocrisy of conservatives when it concerns the legitimacy of the current accusations being leveled at the current administration...This is further evidence it is a manufactured scandal.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:49 AM

5,299 posts, read 4,846,359 times
Quote:
Got it, saying that Reagan's best day was the day he left the Executive Office is "hateful", anything about President Obama (including putting his feet up on the desk, did you miss that thread?) is fair game:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Jan 20th, 1988. The day he left office.

That was the best of Reagan right there (his back as he was finally leaving).
Why are you so hateful?

Old 05-16-2013, 10:50 AM

5,466 posts, read 4,421,422 times
Quote:
They do look like idiots when they pull this card. They just can't seem to stay up with the current time.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:51 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
I'd say investiagte the bombings and then if possible retaliate.That's what terrorist understand.We already know what liberals say already ';they b;lamed it on Bush as usual.Never let a crisis go to waste'so why should conservtive do any different than the standard liberal created?

Old 05-16-2013, 10:51 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,363,738 times
Quote:
Many would say one's failure to acknowledge history makes one look extremely idiotic and the failure to be consistent in applying the same standard(s) of judgement over time makes one appear extremely hypocritical.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:53 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,588,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
They do look like idiots when they pull this card. They just can't seem to stay up with the current time.
And they know it! That is why they are waxing poetic about being historians on this thread.

They don't WANT to stay current because the scandals increase every moment involving their Messiah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies