Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 09:59 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
That's exactly what's happening and has been happening for decades.

Goldman Sachs for example profited from the last several bubbles. During the housing bubble they sold the mortgage-backed securities like crazy, bet against them in the market, and in order to get $10 billion in TARP funding it immediately converted from an investment bank to a bank-holding company, got bailed out by the government, and then qualified for the loans from the discount window of the Federal Reserve so that could suck up even more taxpayer money. During the collapse their employees made record salaries. Absolute and pure crooks.

Where do you think all the losses of money during the recession went? Straight to the banks and Wall Street financial companies.

In my opinion this latest stock bubble is based on nothing. The economy is not doing that well! The market is being manipulated by financiers like those at Goldman Sachs and I wouldn't buy any stocks at this point.
I am glad to hear someone say this (bolded). The whole damn global economy was nearly flatlined, and why? Because we injected the wealth of billions into the pockets of a few thousand crooks running the financial sector, and a few million boomers who bought into the housing market pre-bubble. The only way to save the systems was to bail out the same criminals, and those lucky boomers are exactly the people who are doing all this Tea Party horse shyte and whining about helping out the people that they helped to destroy. A few more of these sort of events and the guillotine might make a comeback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 10:01 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,645,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The idol rich... I am guessing that is even a lower number than the idle rich. Most rich people have worked for their money and are more demonized than idolized in the class warfare Obama era.
Actually most income for the very wealthy is from investments, not employment income.

Salaries and wages account for only 8.8 % of the income of the very rich, and since investments are taxed at lower rates that's why the richest families pay less income tax than you or I. The top 400 richest families in the U.S. paid an average federal income tax rate of about 18 %.

They should be demonized. Most, but not all, are ruthless slippery crooks. I'm not talking about doctors and small-business owners, I'm talking about the very rich, especially those in finance.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/18/bu...anted=all&_r=0

Old 05-17-2013, 10:05 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times
Quote:
Actually most income for the very wealthy is from investments, not employment income.

Salaries and wages account for only 8.8 % of the income of the very rich, and since investments are taxed at lower rates that's why the richest families pay less income tax than you or I. The top 400 richest families in the U.S. paid an average federal income tax rate of about 18 %.

They should be demonized. Most, but not all, are ruthless slippery crooks.

Kind of gross when you think of it. People who do no productive labor being taxed at rates lower than tradesmen. That makes no sense except as a payback for political patronage. It is bad for the economy and society and the planet.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:10 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,645,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I am glad to hear someone say this (bolded). The whole damn global economy was nearly flatlined, and why? Because we injected the wealth of billions into the pockets of a few thousand crooks running the financial sector, and a few million boomers who bought into the housing market pre-bubble. The only way to save the systems was to bail out the same criminals, and those lucky boomers are exactly the people who are doing all this Tea Party horse shyte and whining about helping out the people that they helped to destroy. A few more of these sort of events and the guillotine might make a comeback.
You should read "Griftopia" by Matt Taibbi. He first described Goldman Sachs as "a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money." I'm reading it right now, and he provides the story behind the most recent financial crisis better than any other that I've read. Much of it includes a roster of slimy characters from the government and companies like Goldman Sachs, AIG, and Morgan Stanley. And the worst thing it's all the same guys; they just rotate back and forth between powerful positions in government and finance.

Amazon.com: Griftopia: A Story of Bankers, Politicians, and the Most Audacious Power Grab in American History (9780385529969): Matt Taibbi: Books

Old 05-18-2013, 12:11 AM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
Inflate the money supply, speculate higher prices, grab the tiger by the tail - but don't let go !

Old 05-18-2013, 07:20 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,795,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
The stock market is manipulated by the super elite. It's just Soros and people like him throwing their money around.

Don't be surprised when the bubble bursts.

best,
toodie
I have to agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
The market will pump up and then I predict there will be a quiet before the storm and then it will pop and the numbers will look like 08.
Quite possibly even worse than 08.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:24 AM

5,466 posts, read 4,420,766 times
Quote:
are you being sarcastic? The sequester is in no way helping the economy. It's a drag on economic growth and job growth.

"The budget hawks have the sequence backwards. Public outlay for jobs and recovery come first, growth is restored, and revenues follow. Budget cuts in a deep slump lead only to a deeper slump."

Roger Hickey: 350 Economists Warn Sequester Cuts Could Kill Recovery
Higher taxes is the drag on economic growth

Old 05-18-2013, 07:27 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
https://www.google.com/search?q=Dow+...I7ADRA_enUS483

Seems to just keep booming and booming. What do you think is happening?
I think Obama and the liberals are achieving their two-class society -- the very rich are doing better than ever with their unlimited cheap labor and unlimited numbers of dirt cheap servants, the displaced Americans are losing their middle class status and will live out their lives on welfare handouts.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:38 AM

5,466 posts, read 4,420,766 times
Quote:

They should be demonized. Most, but not all, are ruthless slippery crooks. I'm not talking about doctors and small-business owners, I'm talking about the very rich, especially those in finance.

But ellemint, Obama campaigned on raising taxes on $200K and if you understand S-Corps he was going after the doctors and small business owners. Obama did not hurt the very rich. The tax increase is effective starting January 2013, instead of keeping more money in the business and trying to grow the business they will be paying higher taxes.

Even Nancy Pelosi said this but she was quickly silenced.

Nancy Pelosi sent a letter saying that democrats believe that tax cuts for those earning over a million dollars a year should expire and that we should use the resulting revenues to pay down the deficit.
http://www.democraticleader.gov/news...ncome-tax-cuts

Last edited by eRayP; 05-18-2013 at 08:50 AM..

Old 05-18-2013, 08:56 AM

144 posts, read 123,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think Obama and the liberals are achieving their two-class society -- the very rich are doing better than ever with their unlimited cheap labor and unlimited numbers of dirt cheap servants, the displaced Americans are losing their middle class status and will live out their lives on welfare handouts.
If you want to read up on the economics of that, read up on neoliberal economic doctrine. Both parties are into it and it's gnarly business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies