Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 07:24 AM

2,523 posts, read 2,201,871 times

Advertisements

U.S. Kids Might Not Be Over-Medicated After All - US News and World Report
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 08:25 AM

Here is another symptom of ADHD.
"You get a little upset and confused when you get back from buying - let's use popcorn - and someone has put something else in the empty "popcorn spot" in the cabinet. "Crap! Now I gotta find a place for this other stuff to open up the popcorn spot! Ahh, screw it, I'll just leave the popcorn on the counter.""

Old 05-22-2013, 08:42 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,459,070 times
ADHD is big money. Big corporations make a killing off of our kids. it is sad, but parents believe anything that the doctor tell them. Never will the doc tell you that the kids is just a pain in the butt. Or that, there are natural remedies for things such as ADHD, the doctors are in the pockets of the pharm corps.
Giving meds is an easy way to treat anything. But the side effects are worse. Once the free healthcare kicks in, this will get worse.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:04 AM

5,659 posts, read 5,084,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
No, in another post, he tells us what happened. Physical violence such as punching and choking are abuse, or do you consider these actions, discipline?
No, these actions are not discipline. Discipline motivates redirection and may involve physical means to accomplish such. (I have, on very, very rare occasion, spanked my toddler. It gets her attention when words have failed. I never have done so out of anger.) Punching and choking seek to cause harm and physical damage through over application of force.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:09 AM

2,305 posts, read 3,027,477 times
My cousins school wants to put his 6 year old daughter on ADHD meds. She is perfectly normal to me, just a lot of energy. My cousin said Hell No!!

I believe most of our population is on some type of medication. Look who they pick for our elected officials.

It's all about Big Pharma, nothing else. One of the biggest lobbing groups in Washington. Just follow the money.

They put me on that crap when I was young. After two weeks my mom took me off the drug. She could see it was no good. But I sure was high having a good time.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
ADHD is big money. Big corporations make a killing off of our kids. it is sad, but parents believe anything that the doctor tell them. Never will the doc tell you that the kids is just a pain in the butt. Or that, there are natural remedies for things such as ADHD, the doctors are in the pockets of the pharm corps.
Giving meds is an easy way to treat anything. But the side effects are worse. Once the free healthcare kicks in, this will get worse.
U.S. Kids Might Not Be Over-Medicated After All - US News and World Report

Old 05-22-2013, 09:35 AM

20,454 posts, read 12,370,953 times
I have said most of this before here on C-D and in actual real life but I will say it again.

Not that it matters because the “true believers” aren’t going to change. You guys can deny that ADHD exists. You can claim it is all Big Pharma and lazy parents and dirt bag educators who just want kids to be quiet but you cannot change actual factual facts.

I am ADHD. I am also dyslexic. I failed kindergarten, first grade, and second grade but was passed along anyway. I suppose because they didn’t want to deal with me and someone else would get to deal with it. I have vivid memories of staying in class to write numbers and letters on the blackboard during recess because I couldn’t write them correctly. Line after line, of numbers and letters. Then when I was done, the teacher would walk up and show me where I was doing them right, then in the same line, turned some letter around or sideways. I could look at the board and not even understand what she was saying.

I remember the near panic feeling of being forced to sit in a desk and listen quietly. Or when told I couldn’t go outside and play with the other kids because I had been disruptive, or because my paper was all wrong and I needed to get it right before I could play.

When I read you people telling me that this realty just isn’t real, it really makes me sad for the actual human children you come in contact with. You are likely hurting real kids with your fundamentalist insane denial of truth. There really are kids out there who need real help. Some of that help has to be medical intervention.

In the third grade, I walked into a classroom with a teacher who I am sure taught Pluto. She was super old. And about as mean as an ally cat and she didn’t take any junk off third grade kids. Boy was I in trouble.

She called my mom about 3 weeks into the school year and told her there were issues. Something was not right with me.

Mom got me tested. They told her I had learning disabilities. Dyslexia was a big one. But also some part of my brain had me going at hyper speed. They called it hyperactivity back then. It wasn’t until the 80s I suppose they started calling it Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. But I sure had it. They told my mom that she needed to do her best to keep me in school until Jr. High then let me drop out and learn a trade. The hope would be that I could make a half decent mechanic or something.

My dad was an educator. He thought Physics and AP Calculus. My grandfather was a principle for 39 years. I have cousins with PhDs. We are educated people. Dropping out of school was NOT an option.

I took Ritalin starting in the third grade. I worked hard to learn to read. I couldn’t read a word at the beginning of third grade. My mom sat with me for 15 minutes to work on homework. Then she would send me outside for 15 minutes, then back to homework, then outside back and forth day after day to learn to do what everyone else could do with no problems.

I went to Special Ed classes to learn how to learn. There were lots of trips to the principal’s office for behavior even though I was on meds. It was hard. By the end of third grade, I was in the highest reading group. I still went to Special Ed classes to learn to learn thru the 6th grade. I took Ritalin thru the fifth grade. I was still pretty difficult to deal with but I knew what the issue was, and my parents were super involved in getting to focus.

I graduated with a strong B average from High School. I went to college and double majored in History and English… before home computers and Microsoft word and spell check… I survived. But there is no question that I am ADHD even today. I still have to work on focus. I am successful and provide well for my family.

I have a friend whose parents were like the deniers here in this thread. We grew up together. I got help. He didn’t. I took drugs for ADHD. He didn’t. He dropped out of school and last I heard, was in jail for the second or third time.

If you people only knew the damage you do with your “there is no such thing” junk. Our prisons are full of people like me who didn’t get help. But for the grace of God there go I…. But I had parents who didn’t fear medicine.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:38 AM

20,454 posts, read 12,370,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigr View Post
My cousins school wants to put his 6 year old daughter on ADHD meds. She is perfectly normal to me, just a lot of energy. My cousin said Hell No!!

I believe most of our population is on some type of medication. Look who they pick for our elected officials.

It's all about Big Pharma, nothing else. One of the biggest lobbing groups in Washington. Just follow the money.

They put me on that crap when I was young. After two weeks my mom took me off the drug. She could see it was no good. But I sure was high having a good time.

So.... dont take a schools word for anything.... however, let me also say that schools almost NEVER tell parents to even get a kid evaluated. If you are being told this by the school, they really think there is a serious issue going on.

You and your cousin owe that kid the dignaty of being looked at by a trained medical professional. It may very well be that she is perfectly normal. It may also be that there is something going on that can be helped. There are resources out there that are not in this for the money.

get to a shriners hospital. They have great people who do not get $$$ from big pharma but are there for the purpose of helping kids. Get the little girl tested. Find out what can be done.

she may not need meds. But she may need some other form of intervention. Take it from a kid who has been down this path. Doing nothing is child abuse.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:00 AM

11,412 posts, read 7,795,609 times
Sometimes the root cause of ADHD is PDD (Parental Deficit Disorder). Not always, but sometimes.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:18 PM

1 posts, read 676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Parenting and the ability to tear your kids ass up.
We didn't have ADHD before the 1990's, when you could still nip it in the bud, before it got out of hand.
Big Pharma, has an answer for everything.
We also didn't have many of the psychological diagnoses, that we have today, back when treatment consisted of locking people inside a metal cage and letting them rot in an asylum.

I can tell you from personal experience that you can not beat the ADHD out of someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies