Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 06:38 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
They taxed smokers and drinkers in Cuyahoga County to fund new facilities for the Browns, Indians, and Cavaliers. And smoking areas are limited as well. Funny how they want smokers to fund their pet projects, yet are restricted as to where they can smoke. Especially in an outdoor stadium.
"Sin Taxes" are the most low down, cowardly taxes there are. Alcohol will be next. They always go after the little guys who can't defend themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 06:58 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
I can't tell you folks how upset I am about this. I am from Minnesota and this stadium fiasco-I could write a book on.

They had a spot picked out in Arden Hills on the site of an old Army Ammo plant. The ground was contaminated but qualified as a federal gov. "Superfund" clean up project so that would have been cleaned up. It would have been funded by much more fair taxes and revenue sources from Anoka County. All user fees, like taxes on parking and concessions ect. They were also floating the idea of a "cover charge" for each user of the facility year around which I though was fantastic. To me it was a much better spot for a stadium. It would have been isolated so they could have controlled the vast majority of the parking revenue. Where it is now, people can ride the light rail, bus or they can park at private off site lots and walk. All lost revenue.

So the Minneapolis Mafia again got their way, except the aholes had no way to pay for it. They would have rather saw the team leave Minnesota than NOT be in Minneapolis. That is the kind of people we are dealing with.

Also-they just built the Gophers a new, state of the art stadium on the U campus. Why didn't they combine that with a facility for the Vikings? That is where the Vikes are going to play for the 2 years after the Metrodome is demolished.

So now Gov Goofy's idea of funding the stadium with e-bingo and e-pulltabs is not even making a dent in what it's going to cost, so they go after the smokers once again.

I don't know about you folks, but most smokers I know are not high on the economic chain. Most that I know are barely making ends meet, they are young with children. So who is getting hurt here? The addicts got to have their fix. Those children are going to be hurt.

So now their gas is up over $4 and they add another $1 per pack to their only luxury they allow themselves.

I think it's disgusting and the most UN-democratic thing I've ever seen a Governor do.

Exactly the thing I didn't want to see happen is happening. People who cannot afford to purchase the cheapest seat in the stadium are going to have to pay for it.

Who will stand up for them?

Last edited by PullMyFinger; 05-18-2013 at 07:07 AM..

Old 05-18-2013, 07:03 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,589,904 times
New Jersey just proposed a law to raise the age of buying tobacco products to 21. I think public smoking should be illegal and even I think the age increase is ridiculous.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:05 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,831,906 times
Man, raising taxes on my smokes makes me wanna smoke. Hey....wait a minute......

Old 05-18-2013, 07:09 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,328,716 times
I don't know anything about the stadium, but what happened here in NY is what's going to happen in Minnesota - New York State ranks first for smuggled cigarettes in U.S. | Reuters

Old 05-18-2013, 08:09 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,355 times
I really do not like public funding for stadiums but it is up to the federal govt to ban "races to the bottom" that end up as the result of inter-state competition.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:39 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
So what is more important to the people of Minnesota, smoking tax or Vikings football?

Old 05-18-2013, 08:45 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Public funding for stadiums just shouldn't occur. The owner of the Vikings should find the money. But somehow these owners convince people in power and voters to fund their hobby.

Raising the cigarette tax could have unintended consequences. Some will quit smoking. And as usually happens when the price of something goes up, buyers will seek cheaper sources/places to buy.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:47 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Public funding for stadiums just shouldn't occur. The owner of the Vikings should find the money. But somehow these owners convince people in power and voters to fund their hobby.

Raising the cigarette tax could have unintended consequences. Some will quit smoking. And as usually happens when the price of something goes up, buyers will seek cheaper sources/places to buy.
It is easy to do when a team has public support.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:55 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
It is easy to do when a team has public support.
Obviously. But it is wrong to blatantly put taxpayer funds in the pockets of team owners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies