Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2014, 08:15 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,958,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
In my state (MA) rich whites become liberal because they live above the consequences of their viewpoints. It's easy to despise Walmart when you are rich. It's easy to mandate school desegregation (socioeconomically as well as racially) when your kids go to a lily white private school.
Spot on.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:17 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,000,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
There is discussion of middle class Whites, rich Whites, poor Whites, southern Whites, poor Blacks, and to a lesser extent, rich Blacks and voting. However, no one has discussed middle class Blacks and working class Blacks. Most Blacks who vote Democrat are not lazy and expecting handouts. However, when it comes to Blacks and voting Democrat, the very worst stereotypes of Blacks are brought up, such as the "hood rat", "welfare queen", and the "criminal". No one is asking why working class Blacks and middle class Blacks vote Democrat. No one asks why even among rich Blacks, there are still those who vote for Democrats.
Middle Class and Working Class Blacks...the forgotten demographic. All people imagine are "hood rats" on one end and Jay-Z/Beyoncé on the other end. Imagining blacks as either lazy thugs or rich entertainers is much easier than to imagine the middle class black that has to work twice as hard to get half as far, while not complaining.

Of course most don't realize that you can work 40+hours each week and still get food stamps. Working poor folks do exist.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I always think the same thing, IC. I don't get the loyalty of the black, middle class voter to the Democrats either.
I don't understand poor, white southerners who vote Republican. It hasn't done anything for them either. Maybe poor whites should vote Democrat and poor blacks vote Republican...

Old 01-11-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I personally don't understand the rational behind 13% of the population with very diverse income levels, educational levels, locations in the country, professions, (other than color of skin), can be so single minded with a monolithic vote 90% or more democratic for decades. That lack of diversity of thought in one group doesn't compute.
Republicans could get the black vote if they actually tried. Blacks as a group are probably more conservative (socially) than whites. The GOP doesn't even try to get the black vote and then panders to Latinos....and then wonders why blacks won't vote for them.

Democrats take the black vote for granted. The GOP can sway opinions, but it has to be a concerted and persistent effort; not just a ploy to get blacks to the ballot box.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:57 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
So you pick and choose your reality based on whether it helps you feel like you've won a debate?
I didn't say anything about winning a debate.

Again, it's a website dude. Calm down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Blacks aren't a private secret society.

They are Americans and their issues, concerns and behaviors affect ALL of America just as white issues, concerns and behaviors affect ALL of America.
He's right...the black vote is none of your business. Nor will it ever be.

You don't like how we vote? Tough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
You are blinded by your own prejudice.
I spoke the truth. Read through the race threads.

I'm not blinded at all. In fact, my clarity of vision has never been better.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:26 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
I was talking about Black murder rates in specific. If it is a Democrat issue, then why do Whites in those same cities have low murder rates?
Because Democrat policies seem to favor Whites and disfavor Blacks more than Republican policies do. To wit: Omaha's (R mayor) murder rate is less than half that of Chicago's (D mayor).

Old 01-12-2014, 07:37 AM

Quote:
BTW, Chicago's Black murder rate is 32 murders per 100,000.
That's the Black victimization rate, not the Black murder rate.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? How can a burger flipper who doesn't want to become a manager, and who can't afford school or training, become wealthy?
You've made your choice. You wish to remain stagnant.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:52 AM

73,019 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Because Democrat policies seem to favor Whites and disfavor Blacks more than Republican policies do. To wit: Omaha's (R mayor) murder rate is less than half that of Chicago's (D mayor).
How would Democratic policies favor Whites more than Blacks?

And as I said before, I was not talking about the murder rate for all persons in Chicago or Omaha. I was comparing the White murder rate to the Black murder rate. In Omaha, where there have been Republican mayors, Blacks are far poorer there and have higher murder rates than in Chicago. I was talking about the difference between Black populations.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:54 AM

73,019 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That's the Black victimization rate, not the Black murder rate.
And who is doing the killing of Blacks in Omaha? Mostly Blacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies