Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2014, 07:11 AM

375 posts, read 800,025 times

Advertisements

Where do people get that the rich are overwhelmingly liberal? From what i've seen it's about 50/50. for every Koch Brother, you've got a Bill Gates or Warren Buffett. I'd say it's 50/50 most places. Of course its going to depend. Rich people in the South are usually going to be Conservative while in the Northeast they are Liberal. Everywhere else they are split.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:14 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,769,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
First off is there any data to back up your claim?
Having lived in the area for most of my life, he is almost correct.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:03 AM

59,029 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
In my state (MA) rich whites become liberal because they live above the consequences of their viewpoints. It's easy to despise Walmart when you are rich. It's easy to mandate school desegregation (socioeconomically as well as racially) when your kids go to a lily white private school.
Then when they retire, they move South because they CAN'T afford to stay in the state.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:26 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
In reality your theory is wrong. Most private schools that serve the rich provide scholarships and many times a completely free ride to a number of poor minority students who are academically promising. You are more likely to find more diversity in a rich private school than a working class private or Catholic school. In many wealthy private schools, often the scholarship class can be up to 10% of the student body. I don't especially like rich people but racism is not a big thing among them.
The diversity you don't find in those private schools are the ones that actually matter:

- Parents that don't care about their child's education (the big one)
- Behavior problems
- Gang members
- Parents who assume the school will parent their child
- Special education that requires anything beyond light modification
- High functioning Aspergers - yes, rehabilitating autism - no
- Low income academically struggling students

Students who receive those scholarships are model students, not just poor students. It's probably helpful for many of those who receive the scholarships but don't delude yourself, it's about the appearance of diversity, not real diversity. It also provides all those privileged students and their parents a distorted impression of what an average person is like of whatever demographic the scholarship child represents.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:37 AM

15,631 posts, read 10,388,492 times
Your premise is wrong. Statistically, people with lower incomes voted democrat in the last Presidential election and the partisan split is huge. Obama’s vote percentage declines in straight line fashion as income rises.

Obama got 63 percent of the votes of Americans making less than $30,000 and

57 percent of those making between $30,000 and $50,000.

Romney won 53 percent of the votes of Americans making between $50 and a $100 thousand and

54 percent of the votes of Americans making above $100,000.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 01-11-2014 at 08:46 AM..

Old 01-11-2014, 08:44 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Then when they retire, they move South because they CAN'T afford to stay in the state.
Many go South for the winter, and go North for the summer.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:46 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
The diversity you don't find in those private schools are the ones that actually matter:

- Parents that don't care about their child's education (the big one)
- Behavior problems
- Gang members
- Parents who assume the school will parent their child
- Special education that requires anything beyond light modification
- High functioning Aspergers - yes, rehabilitating autism - no
- Low income academically struggling students

Students who receive those scholarships are model students, not just poor students. It's probably helpful for many of those who receive the scholarships but don't delude yourself, it's about the appearance of diversity, not real diversity. It also provides all those privileged students and their parents a distorted impression of what an average person is like of whatever demographic the scholarship child represents.
Can you elaborate on the last thing that you said?

Old 01-11-2014, 08:48 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,545,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
There is discussion of middle class Whites, rich Whites, poor Whites, southern Whites, poor Blacks, and to a lesser extent, rich Blacks and voting. However, no one has discussed middle class Blacks and working class Blacks. Most Blacks who vote Democrat are not lazy and expecting handouts. However, when it comes to Blacks and voting Democrat, the very worst stereotypes of Blacks are brought up, such as the "hood rat", "welfare queen", and the "criminal". No one is asking why working class Blacks and middle class Blacks vote Democrat. No one asks why even among rich Blacks, there are still those who vote for Democrats.
Most blacks vote democrat because they feel that the republican party is filled with racist white people.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:51 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
If you have the money to move away from crime u can afford to be liberal if you came from the poor side of town but made it you know what people are like in the hood and then they call you conservative minority

Old 01-11-2014, 08:53 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I've noticed that at least in Maryland, the Democrats have consists of 3 major groups - the liberal yuppie elite (the Starbucks, Prius, Whole Foods, coffeeshop hipster crowd), ghetto people, and illegal immigrants. A lot of the Democrat votes come from rich urban areas and a few wealthy suburbs with a of of New York transplants. If you go into the ghetto you also see wild support for Obama, the kind of people who wear shirts saying "keep the White House black" and talking about how great is it to have a black man in the White House. But its the rich white liberals who are okay with things like rain taxes, wind farm taxes, giving in-state tuition to illegals, etc who are also pushing for abortion and gay marriage very passionately. It seems even though they might not agree with all the taxes, they are willing to pay them as a trade off to support abortion and gay marriage. Because I don't know how anyone in their right mind can actually support a gas tax increase that goes exclusively to fund mass transit in the city, or how anyone in their right mind can support a rain tax and wind farm tax, or be okay with increasing the alcohol tax, cigarette tax, and income tax. With nanny state laws like gun control, plastic bags, and soda bans you get support from the liberal elite AND the ghetto Democrats.

However most of the blue collar and middle class whites are conservative and Republican, not just on the federal but on the state and local level as well. However when it comes to blacks I've noticed when I see a black conservative its usually a middle class or upper class black person. Usually someone who has become financially successful and no longer buys into the victimhood mentality, but who also was raised right in church and has conservative social values. With Hispanics I don't know but I assume the better off Hispanics are the ones that are more assimilated, who came legally and have fewer connections to illegal aliens though I'm sure SOME still vote Democrat out of racial solidarity with illegal aliens. I personally and of Asian descent and am Republican for financial and religious reasons both.
I was gonna read this whole thing, until i got to the part that i emboldened. I just had to laugh at that point.

LMAO...so you go into the ghettos, huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies