Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 07:33 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,838,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
they should be forced to go to the welfare office and pick up the cash on a weekly basis. call it a "walk of shame." welfare should be embarrassing to be on, and that embarrassment should be an incentive to get off of it. this debit card faceless welfare system is a nightmare.
Can't really see how that would be a 'walk of shame' because all the other people there would also be on welfare,
or be staff.

It's not an incentive either, because once on welfare then who cares?

If I were on welfare, then I wouldn't give a flying **** what other people thought - just get me check and be on me way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda
Christian Church and Islamic Church, but hey, they are all the same anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
No, they are not.
Of course they are the same.

Just two religions made up from made up books.

One tends to hate women more than the other, that's the only real difference.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:54 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
These people have showed no financial discipline.
You know this how??

People get into financial difficulties for a wide variety of reasons outside of their control.

Old 05-26-2013, 12:50 AM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,036 times
No, no, no, NO!

Old 05-26-2013, 01:02 AM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I know of pastors and priests who've gently sat down with really low income families and individuals and told them that they give so much time and energy to the church that they shouldn't worry about tithing as well--that they're a wonderful part of the congregation who already contributes so much that money isn't necessary. There ARE loving churches out there.
And I remember my Dad, who was dirt-poor his whole life and lived on Social Security after having to retire at 62 due to blindness, who never took a vacation in his life, who I never remember even eating out at a restaurant, handing $50 bills to each Catholic priest at the rectory next door to give them "spending money" for the winters they spent in Florida.

They knew damn well he couldn't afford the $20 a week he put in the poor box, let alone the $150 for the 3 priests at the summer-only church, but did they EVER tell him to keep his money? NOT A CHANCE.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:39 AM

not a chance , thats right - because this whole church game is just a pack of lies

Old 05-26-2013, 09:44 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I thought this question was interesting, given the complaints that aid recipients buy lottery tix, steaks, expensive seafood, cigarettes, alcohol, and sweets.

So how about church? Surely many congregations are packed with poor welfare recipients! And it's safe to say that many of them pay a small tithe.

Any complaints about that?
I have one. Since the Lord will provide, why are they being paid anything?

Old 05-26-2013, 09:45 AM

because quite clearly, the Lord does NOT provide.

It is all a load of tripe to benefit the rich.

Abolish the church and all its evil toads.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:58 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Should Welfare recipients be allowed to give money to their churches?

Absolutely.

As a practical matter, there would be no way to police any prohibition.
So they should be allowed to do it only because there is no to prevent it?

That's interesting. Applying that logic to other things could be troublesome.
Quote:
No, they are not.
Really?
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
No they shouldn't be able to give to a church. It is public money that should support basic living needs.
Welfare shouldn't be given in cash. These people have showed no financial discipline. They should be supplied with basic generic living supplies, food, medical supplies, etc.
Being on welfare is a sign of either bad luck or bad decisions. It doesn't always say anything about financial responsibility.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
And I remember my Dad, who was dirt-poor his whole life and lived on Social Security after having to retire at 62 due to blindness, who never took a vacation in his life, who I never remember even eating out at a restaurant, handing $50 bills to each Catholic priest at the rectory next door to give them "spending money" for the winters they spent in Florida.

They knew damn well he couldn't afford the $20 a week he put in the poor box, let alone the $150 for the 3 priests at the summer-only church, but did they EVER tell him to keep his money? NOT A CHANCE.
Of course they didn't.

Like I said before, I've NEVER ONCE heard a church leader make a proclamation that the poor should stop giving money to the church until they can better afford to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I have one. Since the Lord will provide, why are they being paid anything?

Yep...go figure. The Lord sure as hell takes good care of these pastors.

Old 05-26-2013, 01:20 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,745,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I've never belonged to a church that "demanded" tithing. We have envelopes to pledge for the year, but nothing is said to those who don't. The congregation contributes because they want to support the church and the good works they can do through it. Wealthier people give more, and poor people and young families give less. My husband is on our church board, and we have families who may not give financially, but they're always there to help and support. Wealthier people make up the difference, and it all works out in the end to pay salaries and take care of the building, etc. That's what a church family should be--everyone doing their part, but sometimes in different ways.
I don't disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies