Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 10:45 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,836,424 times

Advertisements

How about if you give all your welfare money to the Church - will the Lord then bless you with riches?

The Church sucks big time - abolish it now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 10:47 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,244,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
The Church sucks big time - abolish it now!
Which Church??

Old 05-25-2013, 02:38 AM

Christian Church and Islamic Church, but hey, they are all the same anyway.

Old 05-25-2013, 02:43 AM

36 posts, read 114,294 times
I did not know their money had to be accounted for. Personally I don't care what they do with their ~200 bucks a month. Most live in deplorable conditions anyways so they can sleep with six people in a two bedroom, roach infested house for that paltry amount and do as they please.

Old 05-25-2013, 02:45 AM

God should help them if they are Christians - he does things like that supposedly...

Old 05-25-2013, 03:28 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,019,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I thought this question was interesting, given the complaints that aid recipients buy lottery tix, steaks, expensive seafood, cigarettes, alcohol, and sweets.

So how about church? Surely many congregations are packed with poor welfare recipients! And it's safe to say that many of them pay a small tithe.

Any complaints about that?
I believe most of the solutions to the issue with wasteful spending was to not give them a blank check, e.g. they get a card that can only be used to purchase items allowed. By default that would eliminate any welfare money going directly to a church.

We simply need tighter control of what welfare money can be used to purchase, for example when I was delivering coal I participated in the LIHEAP program. The check was sent directly to me and I could apply it as credit or too any outstanding balance. The welfare recipient never saw any cash, that doesn't 100% prevent fraud becsue you could for example sell the product itself.

Old 05-25-2013, 05:53 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,745,831 times
Quote:
I thought this question was interesting, given the complaints that aid recipients buy lottery tix, steaks, expensive seafood, cigarettes, alcohol, and sweets.

So how about church? Surely many congregations are packed with poor welfare recipients! And it's safe to say that many of them pay a small tithe.

no. secondly, welfare should be eliminated.

Old 05-25-2013, 06:05 AM

10,832 posts, read 14,926,797 times
Quote:

Government should not be charged with handing out charity.

To safeguard our liberty and republic we need to end welfare, food stamps, section 8 housing and ALL government subsidies.

“To take from one, because it is thought his own industry and that of his fathers has acquired too much, in order to spare to others, who, or whose fathers, have not exercised equal industry and skill, is to violate arbitrarily the first principle of association, the guarantee to everyone the free exercise of his industry and the fruits acquired by it.”
-Thomas Jefferson, letter to Joseph Milligan, April 6, 1816

“A wise and frugal government … shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government.”
-Thomas Jefferson, First Inaugural Address, March 4, 1801

and finally

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.”
-Benjamin Franklin

The end of the republic, and our basic freedom, is already under attack and the American people are losing.

Old 05-25-2013, 06:13 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,591,490 times
Quote:
I also noticed that conservatives are avoiding this thread like Ebola.

Figures. That was an easy call.

Damn! 20 minutes and the whole world has read your thread.....
Life and real expectations don't mesh for ya, can be a let down for the mentally disturbed.
Can we be rational here? 20 minutes. Most conservatives have a job and are at work at 2pm in the afternoon on a workday. The mentality of a few, paints a broad brush stroke, for many.

Have enough people that are more conservative than you, posted now?

Last edited by BentBow; 05-25-2013 at 06:21 AM..

Old 05-25-2013, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Government should not be charged with handing out charity.

To safeguard our liberty and republic we need to end welfare, food stamps, section 8 housing and ALL government subsidies.

“To take from one, because it is thought his own industry and that of his fathers has acquired too much, in order to spare to others, who, or whose fathers, have not exercised equal industry and skill, is to violate arbitrarily the first principle of association, the guarantee to everyone the free exercise of his industry and the fruits acquired by it.”
-Thomas Jefferson, letter to Joseph Milligan, April 6, 1816

“A wise and frugal government … shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government.”
-Thomas Jefferson, First Inaugural Address, March 4, 1801

and finally

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.”
-Benjamin Franklin

The end of the republic, and our basic freedom, is already under attack and the American people are losing.
Can't see how quoting a few old men here has much to do with it.

These guys are over 200 years old now - so way past their bedtimes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies