Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2013, 10:58 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,440,667 times

Advertisements

NBP, you are talking about disparate and possibly absurd or unfair outcomes in different cases, which is fine, but in this case there is a special level of absurdity in that the SAME relationship zig-zags between legal and illegal. Do you not agree this is a special problem? It could be solved by the insertion of a single clause in the Fla. code saying "once legal, always legal." Please specify who you fear would be harmed thereby. It would not lower the initial age of consent in a single case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 11:06 AM

7,794 posts, read 6,352,809 times
This stuff happens to normal people all of the time. Why are we suddenly outraged?

Old 05-22-2013, 11:30 AM

168 posts, read 334,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
This stuff happens to normal people all of the time. Why are we suddenly outraged?
We are suppose to be outraged because its a homosexual relationship that being questioned, even though this does happen to heterosexual people its somehow wrong for this to happen to homosexuals. They claim they are being persecuted when in reality this happens to heterosexual couples more often.
There are also reports that this relationship started when the younger of the two females was 14 and the older one was still 18.
I wonder if people would mind their 14 year old daughter to date a 18 year old guy?

Old 05-22-2013, 11:40 AM

6,392 posts, read 5,152,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Criminal convictions are a matter of public record, should be really easy to quote all the cases in the last year in Fl. They chose to destroy this girls life because they didn't agree with her lifestyle.

Teen arrested for sex with underage girl » Naples Daily News

Quote:
Still, Ramirez was arrested because the girl is under 16, said Lee County Sheriff's Office spokesman Angelo Vaughn.
Under Florida statues, no one under 16 can consent to sex with anyone over 16, Vaughn said. Though Ramirez is still considered a minor, he can face felony charges for having sex, Vaughn said. Ramirez has since been released from the Lee County Jail.

It happens, even to boys.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:40 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,781,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDSUBison View Post
We are suppose to be outraged because its a homosexual relationship that being questioned, even though this does happen to heterosexual people its somehow wrong for this to happen to homosexuals. They claim they are being persecuted when in reality this happens to heterosexual couples more often.
There are also reports that this relationship started when the younger of the two females was 14 and the older one was still 18.
I wonder if people would mind their 14 year old daughter to date a 18 year old guy?

I heard differently, that they'd been dating over a year and were 17 and 14 when they started seeing each other.

But just the same a high school senior dating a freshman is not particularly unusual.

Like I said earlier, it's the law that's dumb. Everyone is too focused on "why is the lesbian girl getting attention? blah blah blah" instead of banding together over the real culprit... the law. Do we really want to continue criminalizing seniors dating freshmen? A parent may or may not want their kid to see an upperclassman, but do we really want to label that "predatory" and give the parents the power to ruin some other kids' life over a consensual teenage relationship?

Old 05-22-2013, 12:23 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,519,780 times
So the 15 year-old's parents waited for Kaitlyn to turn 18 before pressing charges? That is so messed up, and completely vindictive.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:27 PM

20,406 posts, read 12,306,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDSUBison View Post

I guess I fail to understand the mindset here....

Are gay people suggesting that abnormal sexual activity (that between adult and child) is actually normal when gay people engage?

Old 05-22-2013, 12:38 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,781,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I guess I fail to understand the mindset here....

Are gay people suggesting that abnormal sexual activity (that between adult and child) is actually normal when gay people engage?

So an 18 year old high school senior dating a high school freshman is "abnormal" and a "deviant" and a "predatory" expression of sexuality?

Good to know.

I don't approve of teenagers staying out past curfew. I think it is wrong. I think I as a parent should have the ability to not only punish any kid that keeps my child out past curfew, I should be able to brand them with a scarlet letter than will forever rend them unemployable and unhouseable. Their lives should be ruined because my kid wouldn't listen to me.

If they drink and I don't want them to, I should be allowed to cut off hands of the kid who passed the beer bottle.

If they curse at me, I should be able to remove the tongue of the kid that taught them curse words.

It seems fair! LOL

Last edited by Tinawina; 05-22-2013 at 01:01 PM..

Old 05-22-2013, 01:49 PM

45,032 posts, read 60,050,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
NBP, you are talking about disparate and possibly absurd or unfair outcomes in different cases, which is fine, but in this case there is a special level of absurdity in that the SAME relationship zig-zags between legal and illegal. Do you not agree this is a special problem? It could be solved by the insertion of a single clause in the Fla. code saying "once legal, always legal." Please specify who you fear would be harmed thereby. It would not lower the initial age of consent in a single case.

You and I are talking past each other not to each other. I don't really see what you're trying to say, which I think is that there really shouldn't be a statutory rape statute applied here because both were legal when the relationship supposedly started. Sort of a "first in wins".

I am maintaining that once that 18 y/o threshold is crossed then the rules change. Which is true for all manner of legal, and not legal, issues.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:47 PM

20,406 posts, read 12,306,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
So an 18 year old high school senior dating a high school freshman is "abnormal" and a "deviant" and a "predatory" expression of sexuality?

Good to know.

I don't approve of teenagers staying out past curfew. I think it is wrong. I think I as a parent should have the ability to not only punish any kid that keeps my child out past curfew, I should be able to brand them with a scarlet letter than will forever rend them unemployable and unhouseable. Their lives should be ruined because my kid wouldn't listen to me.

If they drink and I don't want them to, I should be allowed to cut off hands of the kid who passed the beer bottle.

If they curse at me, I should be able to remove the tongue of the kid that taught them curse words.

It seems fair! LOL
actually I think the subject if far too complicated. i am not comfortable with the way the law is applied.

(you will find I have posted that already in this thread).

my comment that you quoted was intended to point out, that until a gay girl fell into this situation, gay people were quiet when straight kids were being charged with rape in exactly the same manner... by the thousands accross this country.

However, now all the sudden this is a "gay bashing" issue. In other words, for this gay girl, nothing bad happened. She is perfectly innocent of any wrong doing...

Still there is no talk of the injustice done to hetro kids being locked up....

THAT is my point. When you read the news reports and the LGBT comments about this, it is about one of thiers being done wrong. They are not worried about the law itself. Just its application to "one of their own".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies