Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: As a gun rights advocate do you support the right of an American to burn the national flag?
Yes 27 75.00%
No 9 25.00%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 04:52 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,764,935 times

Advertisements

PLEASE this is for those that identify themselves as pro-gun or pro 2nd amendment. If you are pro gun control (for this a good measure is you don't like the NRA) please do not enter the poll but everyone is encouraged to leave commentary.

There is no agenda here. I'm just curious.

This is a question about rights not about whether you think it's a good idea. In other words, you can be against flag burning and think it is extremely shameful but you do support the right to burn the flag.

And please to keep this alive let's don't fight on whether it is right to burn the flag or not. That can be done in another thread.

Again, this is not about an opinion on flag burning, but an opinion on the right to flag burn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 05:44 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Good question: It really cuts to the heart of the matter with regard to whether the Bill of Rights is supposed to be taken with each phrase within it interpreted as an absolute right, regardless of how that results in irreconcilable conflicts between various rights (including all right established preceding the Bill of Rights), or whether the set of rights are taken together, reasonably balanced against each other.

Of course, those most maniacally in favor of self-serving gun rights rather than reasonable gun rights will likely double-down on their perspective. So perhaps a better example would have been whether a performance artist should be allowed to yell "Fire!" in a crowded theater. That's cuts to the heart of the matter as well, and has that harm-aspect to it that lax firearms regulation has.

Last edited by bUU; 05-20-2013 at 05:56 AM..

Old 05-20-2013, 05:49 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Its a piece of cloth,not the shroud of Turin and most likely made in China,so go ahead.
But I think its silly to burn one unless you need the warmth.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:51 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I may be very offended by someone burning the flag as a political statement or protest but, as a strong advocate of the right to keep and bear arms, I will defend his right to say what he pleases.

I took an oath to Defend ALL of the Constitution not just some parts.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:09 AM

1,645 posts, read 1,214,145 times
+1 to what GregW said

Old 05-20-2013, 06:11 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,680 times
FYI

US Flag Code. TITLE 4 > CHAPTER 1 > Sec. 8(k).States:
"The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning"

Additionally,
It should be to the heart of ALL gun owners to support the Constitution of the United States, The WHOLE Constitution, not just the parts we like, (unlike some people)...

Old 05-20-2013, 06:15 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
PLEASE this is for those that identify themselves as pro-gun or pro 2nd amendment. If you are pro gun control (for this a good measure is you don't like the NRA) please do not enter the poll but everyone is encouraged to leave commentary.

This is a question about rights not about whether you think it's a good idea. In other words, you can be against flag burning and think it is extremely shameful but you do support the right to burn the flag.

And please to keep this alive let's don't fight on whether it is right to burn the flag or not. That can be done in another thread.

Again, this is not about an opinion on flag burning, but an opinion on the right to flag burn.
I am generally pro-gun, and I support Americans' freedom to burn the flag.

In fact I'll go as far as to say that I don't really care if someone burns the American flag. Without some kind of context, I don't find the act itself all that offensive. Maybe if I was a war veteran I'd feel differently.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:33 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
I personally wouldn't do it, but I support another's right to protest.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:47 AM

2,930 posts, read 2,224,453 times
Quote:

What does "pro gun" have to do with the question of the right to burn an American flag? Why not just ask everyone's opinion on burning a flag,...instead of "Pro gun only"?

No agenda? Right!

Old 05-20-2013, 06:55 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,163 times
Quote:

Absolutely.

Now, I am not saying it is necessarily in good taste, but burning a flag you have bought or created is a legitimate expression of free speech.

If I wanted to be a smart ass, I would point out that burning a flag is actually considered to be the most appropriate method of disposal of a worn or damaged flag, but I digress...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies