Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 11:10 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,525,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Actually, I was calling into account a very serious fallacy. The biggest beneficiary of affirmative action is White females.

I was demonstrating to you that affirmative action doesn't work, and that Blacks still get discriminated against.

And no, I did not expect to get the job simply for being Black. I was hoping that someone would hire me because I have the education. However, out of my cohort, I'm the only one unemployed. My point was to prove to you that if Blacks are "so privileged" we would have lower unemployment rates than we do now.
the best thing people of color in america can do is to develop a strong DYI ethic. I never expect to get a break. I out think and out smart and out perform my competition.

stop whining and roll up your sleeves, boy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 11:10 AM

72,879 posts, read 62,383,275 times
Quote:
Business acts responsibly when it hires the most qualified. To do this they look at many things, knowledge, experience, attitude and other important factors. There is nothing that can cause problems in running a business than an employee who thinks they are owed, who has an attitude problem thinking they deserve special treatment because of their color. No one, white, black, yellow, red, is owed a job. Business is not a social group. Business must serve their customers as best they can and bad attitudes will cause problem in doing this.
I did not expect any kind of affirmative action. I was hoping that I would be hired based on education. I know people who have no more experience than I do, and they were able to get jobs. And tell me this. How can you tell if those businesses think I have an attitude? I didn't present any kind of attitude when I handed my resume and cover letters in. I was polite as I could be, to the point of kissing up. You know nothing about me at all.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadeguy View Post
the best thing people of color in america can do is to develop a strong DYI ethic. I never expect to get a break. I out think and out smart and out perform my competition.

stop whining and roll up your sleeves, boy.
I didn't expect to get a break either. I just go out there and try my best. There is something I do have to say. I don't consider myself whining. I consider discrimination a legitimate issue.

And I have considered starting my own business. I just need the resources for it. I am not saying I shouldn't have a DIY attitude. I'm saying there is alot that I need before starting a business.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:19 AM

5,466 posts, read 4,414,821 times
Quote:
I did not expect any kind of affirmative action. I was hoping that I would be hired based on education. I know people who have no more experience than I do, and they were able to get jobs. And tell me this. How can you tell if those businesses think I have an attitude? I didn't present any kind of attitude when I handed my resume and cover letters in. I was polite as I could be, to the point of kissing up. You know nothing about me at all.
You are what you think and it shows whether you realize it or not.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
I didn't expect to get a break either. I just go out there and try my best. There is something I do have to say. I don't consider myself whining. I consider discrimination a legitimate issue.

And I have considered starting my own business. I just need the resources for it. I am not saying I shouldn't have a DIY attitude. I'm saying there is alot that I need before starting a business.
Starting a business doing what? You are complaining that you need alot to start, didn't Obama say "you didn't build that" insinuating that it was because of government? So why isn't government helping you?

Old 05-21-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
You are what you think and it shows whether you realize it or not.
How am I what I think? Explain. I think I'm a reasonable person. I don't give any attitude to anyone in public. I try to be polite and quiet. I don't smile alot, but I only smile when I feel like it. I just try and be harmless. I'm basically like Carlton from Fresh Prince of Bel-Air minus the dance and the smile.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
Starting a business doing what? You are complaining that you need alot to start, didn't Obama say "you didn't build that" insinuating that it was because of government? So why isn't government helping you?
Because I don't look to the government for helping me start a business. Why do you expect me to look to the government for help? Banks normally give out business loans.

I wanted to do a few things. I have a book I have been working on. I'm not done, but when I'm done, I want to publish it myself, no agents, just me. And I have been working on my cartographic skills over the last month, trying to keep it up, and I'm working on Python. I know I can use that in mapping and GIS.

Anyone, as long as I don't have the advantage of owning a business, I am looking for work.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:30 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,931,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thand1 View Post
Only racists will find his comment racist.
A racist would say that! /boggle

Old 05-21-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
How am I what I think? Explain. I think I'm a reasonable person. I don't give any attitude to anyone in public. I try to be polite and quiet. I don't smile alot, but I only smile when I feel like it. I just try and be harmless. I'm basically like Carlton from Fresh Prince of Bel-Air minus the dance and the smile.
Yes, sometimes I can see that you are reasonable. Hey at least you want to work, just lose the negative thoughts about not getting a job because you are black. It shows regardless of what you think and no employer wants to work with someone who pulls the race card. You don't have to kiss ass and that is wrong to feel that you have to.

Instead of going to an interview thinking you need a job realize that your needs are not their concern. Yes that sounds cold but no matter who you are it is a fact. The attitude is interest in the company, what you bring to the table. When you go on an interview you are trying to sell your service. Also realize that when you go on an interview you are also interviewing the company.

Maybe get a book on how to present yourself in the best way possible. Anyone needing a job is at a disadvantage because the competition is stiff. It is an employers market and those employers are also nervous about the things that are happening in this country.

Just remember, when an employer hires they are taking a risk and hoping you will be a excellent part of the team.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...job+interviews

Old 05-21-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
One more thing. You are in a very difficult economy. Instead of blaming outside things, look at yourself and see what you may be doing wrong. I worked at a company with black and white co-workers and I have to say, that owner picked their employees well. We worked together to get the job done and that's what it's about.

You really want to work, I can read it in your words. You want to do the right thing and provide for yourself and your future family. You and me are more alike than you think. Just don't let the neigh sayers give you an excuse.

Keep trying and you will find one. I wish you success because someone who is not afraid of work (and is minus attitude) deserves it.

Last edited by eRayP; 05-21-2013 at 12:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies