Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 08:42 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Maybe you'd like to dictate colors and window treatments too?
OMG..a national HOA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 08:43 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
People can buy shelters and have them installed for around $3500 and it can be financed as well.
Why don't they ?

I'm further south in Texas then where tornado alley ends and I keep tabs on how far south these things hit.

Oh and those old farmhouses with those "storm shelters" you talk about (Wizard of Oz)..they were actually root cellars.
Their primary purpose was for long term food storage and doubled as storm shelters.

Maybe this will drive more to spend that money to put a shelter in their back yard.
They don't all look that ugly.

Photos Slope Top Shelters - Jarrell Storm Shelters
I lived in a place like that in Fremont Nebraska. Actually, it used to be a basement house. Meaning the entire home was underground. The only thing that was above ground was the roof. However, they later added another floor to the home. It had two built-in root cellars, but since there was also a kitchen, living room, bathroom, and two bedrooms already in the basement, it was not necessary to use the root cellars for shelter.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:44 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Evern been in a gated community with an insane Home Owner's Authority? They beat you to it.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:47 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Evern been in a gated community with an insane Home Owner's Authority? They beat you to it.
Which is why it is important to read the covenant before you buy.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:47 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Out zoning board forbids building a basement and living in it because it does not generate enough tax revenue. I have been in a couple of these homes and they are quite snug if you like living in a concrete cave. Then again, why not, almost all of use work in a variant of a concrete cave with cubicles instead of barcoloungers.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:49 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
This sounds like one of the "booby trap" laws not intended to pass but to be a political landmine.

You know, a "help the children" law but with so many onerous provisions that you can't really support it.

Then when you vote against it (as intended) you get hit with politicized charges of hating the children or whatever.

If this were really about public safety there are a lot more prevalent problems than the absence of storm shelters. Mandatory youth swimming classes would be the first thing to spring to mind.

Also should ban tube televisions and wall-mount TV's that can fall on kids....make everyone buy new flatscreens that weigh less.....at some point you need to let people make some of their own decisions regarding safety and budget.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:50 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Which is why it is important to read the covenant before you buy.
They can change over time though through elections and change of residents.
Plenty of stories out there to attest to that. And grandfather rules don't help much because then you become the social outcast in your neighborhood.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:50 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Maybe you'd like to dictate colors and window treatments too?
An over simplification. We do dictate items of safety on how a home gets put together, or a commercial building. California has protections for earthquakes. . . .Homes on the water often need to be raised slightly.

Though with every safety requirement there is a limit to how far/reward for the requirement. For example. . .Tornado's aren't that frequent of a occurrence. What is the chance a specific house will get hit?

For areas were the chance is significant. . . I think the following idea may be worthwhile:

1) consider shelters in older neihboorhoods, trailer parks, or places without basements

2) basements in new homes, or remodels, should have a safe zone built to withstand a the highest likely storm for the area

Old 05-21-2013, 08:56 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
What about all those nuclear underground bunkers? Don't we have like a bunch of those leftover from the Communist paranoia?
Those were built in the late 50's, early 60's. There was one about a mile from where I lived as a kid. It was nothing but the basement of a bank building. The building was declared structurally unsafe (earthquake country) and demolished in the 90's. I suspect most had a similar fate.

I was in the bank right before they demolished it and asked the teller about the shelter. She said, "Is that what it was? There's nothing in there but a bunch of boxes of crackers in crates." So we were apparently supposed to somehow get to the shelter, fight our way in, (it wouldn't have held more than 100 or so people) let the nuclear cloud sweep over us, the whole town was supposed to eat a bunch of crackers, then we were to emerge into..... nothing.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:59 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,109,663 times
No link yet? I call shenanigans.

Before we get all excited about shelters, let's discuss how long people have to get INTO those shelters.

I would go for a shelter in a school, but not mandated for private homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies