Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 09:16 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,209,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombocom View Post
Sounds like the basis for an entertaining horror movie, but... why wouldn't people commit crime the rest of the year?

I think it would only work because of all the parents killing their kids, thus fewer criminals and less poverty.
I"m pretty sure you'd have a lot of revenge crimes days, weeks, and months later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 09:16 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
I don't get it. How could a period of lawlessness, something very few people desire, be a payoff? And if humans had degenerated to the point that large numbers of people actually looked forward to murder, rape, theft, etc., how could there be effective contol outside the 12-hour period?
Exactly, it makes no sense. At least in "Return of the Archons" the period of lawlessness was to preserve the sanity of human beings who were controlled by a computer for 364 days a year. The lawlessness was to preserve their sanity and so they could procreate because otherwise they were wax faced zombies walking around not interested in sex or violence or greed or anything other than the will of Landreau LOL.

Sounds like a dumb movie.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:41 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Total ripoff of the Star Trek episode "Return of the Archons" sounds like to me.

Is there an original thought left in Hollywood?
No there isn't. All we get are remakes and remakes of remakes. Why anyone pays to see movies anymore is beyond me. I can't even remember the last decent film to come out and nowdays it's all made in front of the "green screen" to boot so it doesn't even look real.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:50 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,758,205 times
After watching the trailer it makes a lot more sense...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0LLaybEuzA

This a liberal fantasy film. If you believe that seemingly nice middle class white people secretly desire to hunt down and murder black men... if you think America is full of repressed, gun-owning, homicidal lunatics ready to cut loose unless good folks like yourself make a stand, this is the movie for you.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:54 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,520,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombocom View Post
Sounds like the basis for an entertaining horror movie, but... why wouldn't people commit crime the rest of the year?

I think it would only work because of all the parents killing their kids, thus fewer criminals and less poverty.
yeah. criminals aren't known for their impulse control. it will be interesting to see how the movie handles this. I would think though there might be armed vigilantes out rounding up and killing those they think are the real criminals. most people would probably just hide out with the families. that's what I would do. if I knew this was going to happen once a year, I would have a bunker just for this event.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:56 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,520,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
I don't get it. How could a period of lawlessness, something very few people desire, be a payoff? And if humans had degenerated to the point that large numbers of people actually looked forward to murder, rape, theft, etc., how could there be effective contol outside the 12-hour period?
good question. how do you go on about your day the day after your neighbor kidnapped and raped your daughter?

Old 05-20-2013, 09:57 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times
Must make for an interesting conversation at the mailbox.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:06 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,209,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
good question. how do you go on about your day the day after your neighbor kidnapped and raped your daughter?
You wouldn't, you'd kill them as soon as you had a chance.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:46 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
The body must be preserved.
Sure can tell who's a trekkie

Old 06-12-2013, 04:05 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,767,546 times
I did not watch the movie; just read the synopsis on wikipedia.
It is totally unrealistic (the premise). Imagine all the damage done after the purge session is over: all cities, towns, farmland and everything will sustain great damages. The cost for the repair will be humongous.
And like what somebody else said: how can people even restrain themselves after that purge period is over.
Totally unrealistic government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies