Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2013, 06:20 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,552,941 times

Advertisements

Lerner new subpoena must testify after giving statement

[link to www.politico.com]

OK I was wrong- I said the IRS does not know the First Amendment exists, but they know about the Fifth Amendment.

Turns out, they do not know much about the Fifth Amendment either.

LMAO.

Who gave her legal advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 06:22 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,777,825 times
Thank you, contempt

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Not perjury, unless what she says is a lie or makes what she said earlier a lie. If she refuses to answer questions she will be charged with contempt.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:23 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,552,941 times
Lerner new subpoena must testify after giving statement [link to www.politico.com]

Old 05-22-2013, 06:26 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,329,966 times
Quote:
No you can't.

It depends on your status. If you are being investigated or charged you can not pick and choose what you would answer. If this was the case the defense could call you to the stand and make their case and when the prosecution got their turn you could then plead the 5th.

Not being able to do this is why defendants so often never take the stand.
That's interesting. So by getting up there and essentially telling the committee to stick it she waived her right to invoke the 5th?

Old 05-22-2013, 06:30 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
That's interesting. So by getting up there and essentially telling the committee to stick it she waived her right to invoke the 5th?
That isn't what she did. She claimed her innocence. Once she did that she waived her right to not testify since she already did.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:31 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,777,825 times
Yep, she was a contemptuous little snot about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post

Old 05-22-2013, 06:37 PM

57,280 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
In her previous testimony she blamed it on the workers under her and said she fixed it.
That was in the 11/2012 transcript of her testimony to the Treasury Inspector General.

Based on that I don't see why she needs to take the 5th.
She's testified 4 times already about this. But then again, that was before the report became public.
I don't understand her taking the 5th when all those around her testified.

I have a larger issue with Schulman, he actually knew that this was going on months prior to his smug statements to the committee. Cummings asked point blank why he waited until now to correct his statement and received nothing but evasion.

The surpriing part of this is that Schuman and Miller are constantly dancing around the issue, why not come clean and just state what happened.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:39 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,474,737 times
Who suggested that Lerner first give a statement...and then take the 5th Amendment? Did she do that on her own, or did her counsel tell her she could do that? She blew it big-time. Hope the stupid liberal ***** goes to prison.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:40 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,329,966 times
Quote:
That isn't what she did. She claimed her innocence. Once she did that she waived her right to not testify since she already did.
Yes, I heard her on the news. But IMO she was defiant to the point of challenging the committee. It guaranteed a backlash.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:41 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
According to Judge Nap if they recall her and she doesntt answer the questions she does so under the threat of perjury (I think). So if she wants to come back and LIE or plea the 5th she could end up doing time
I suppose we have to wait and see, unlike a criminal trial she didn't choose to testify (or did she). She was forced to testify.

Quote:
No you can't.

It depends on your status. If you are being investigated or charged you can not pick and choose what you would answer. If this was the case the defense could call you to the stand and make their case and when the prosecution got their turn you could then plead the 5th.

Not being able to do this is why defendants so often never take the stand.
That's true as it applies to criminal cases. You can't avoid cross examination. It's my understanding that you can selectively invoke the 5th in all other venues though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies