Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 03:07 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I think the scrutiny seems justified, given the overtly political nature of the tea party movement.
Could you agree an organization with the term "progress" in their name was overtly political?

If you can agree to that then the scrutiny was not justified becsue it was not being equally applied to ALL political groups, groups with the term progress in their name sailed through this process. . If you cannot understand why what the IRS has done is wrong that is just sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Why is it so hard to believe that more of them would be scrutinized than other types of groups, when there were so many more of them percentage-wise? It makes sense strictly from the numbers.
LOL.. except that is not what has happened here.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:11 PM

19,018 posts, read 14,193,756 times
Stop rattling your chains, and get back to WORK !
There's nothing mysterious about tyranny and corruption in government. It's been part of the deal since the "New Deal" and the State of Emergency in 1933.

Did you think you were living in a "free" country?

Old 05-21-2013, 03:15 PM

26,476 posts, read 15,060,677 times
The scandal is that liberal groups doing the same political activities weren't harassed in the same routine systemic way. Many conservative groups were discouraged to the point that they gave up.

There is a scandal.

We can debate the law and if the tax exempt status should exist, but that is a moot point to the political corruption in granting the status.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:17 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,757,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Overtly political might be a good flag for further scrutiny. Groups with "tea party" and "patriot" in their name is not.
You are kidding me, right?

Old 05-21-2013, 03:21 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,757,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Could you agree an organization with the term "progress" in their name was overtly political?

If you can agree to that then the scrutiny was not justified becsue it was not being equally applied to ALL political groups, groups with the term progress in their name sailed through this process. . If you cannot understand why what the IRS has done is wrong that is just sad.
Well, I could well be wrong on this topic. The IRS probably did not act as unbiased as it should, nor did they do their job well.

However, I think that the notion that Tea Party and Patriot groups are not politically engaged is ridiculous. Clearly they are, and so, evaluating the degree of political engagement seems like what the reviewers are supposed to do. I honestly don't know how long that is supposed to take to do.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:22 PM

29,407 posts, read 21,999,290 times
They could have just formed a PAC but would have to turn over their donor list and didn't want their donors to be targeted by............well..............IRS!!

Old 05-21-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
You are kidding me, right?
No they are not kidding, nearly everyone of these groups is going to have some kind of political agenda. You might as well scrap the thoughts of any list and flag them all.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Well, I could well be wrong on this topic. The IRS probably did not act as unbiased as it should, nor did they do their job well.
There is no probably here, the IRS has admitted it was wrong. Even your savior has called their actions and I quote "outrageous".

Quote:
evaluating the degree of political engagement seems like what the reviewers are supposed to do.
Correct but that doesn't mean they get to pick and choose what political group they are going to go after. These reviews and the reasons for the reviews need to be apolitcal.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:31 PM

3,404 posts, read 3,448,872 times
Quote:

However, I think that the notion that Tea Party and Patriot groups are not politically engaged is ridiculous. Clearly they are, and so, evaluating the degree of political engagement seems like what the reviewers are supposed to do. I honestly don't know how long that is supposed to take to do.
Where have you seen the arguement that they are not? The point is about picking winners and losers and the IRS is not allowed to do that! The dems in congress are upset about this too! Even though its because it came out as apposed to the reason the reps are upset which is because it happened.

Theres a slippery slope with taxes. They are so called volentary but you go to jail or get the money pulled from your account if you dont pay it. Thats not so volentary is it? Well what happens if half the country doesnt believe in this volentary thing and pulls all their money out of they system and refuses to pay taxes? Businesses and workers? A new revolution? Thats why the dems are worried! They see the end game possiblities. Thats why gun control is so important to them. They see the anger in the right and are worried they are creating their own self proclaiming professey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies