Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 02:19 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,769,934 times

Advertisements

I love the tea party movement. It's causing a split in the GOP that will help Democrats in 2016. The tea party is also the reason why we have a Democratic Senate. So as of right now the tea party is an asset to the Democratic Party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 02:25 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Lemmings is some what common word though. These come from Urban Dictionary...
A member of a crowd with no originality or voice of his own. One who speaks or repeats only what he has been told. A tool. A cretin.
A lemming refers to a purchase/wished-for-item which results from reading an enthusiastic post about a new fabulous product. Overcome by compulsion, readers follow like lemmings diving off a cliff.
A derogatory term used to reference a person who seemingly does not possess any form of individual thought, and instead, mindlessly follows the behaviors and actions of the masses.
Did you know that the lemmings mass suicide videos that inspire much of the current usage of the term was actually staged? The videographers of the popular video excerpt from The documentary White Wilderness actually flew in lemmings from elsewhere and then faked a migration with scenes where the lemmings were essentially on a turntable so they could continuously fall off.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:27 PM

82 posts, read 48,436 times
Its the law of attraction.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:32 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Did you know that the lemmings mass suicide videos that inspire much of the current usage of the term was actually staged? The videographers of the popular video excerpt from The documentary White Wilderness actually flew in lemmings from elsewhere and then faked a migration with scenes where the lemmings were essentially on a turntable so they could continuously fall off.
I've known that because I am a Disney fan and he the lemmings was a known story for the True Life Adventures series Disney produced in the 40's and 50's.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:35 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I support the tea party movement and i don't understand all the disrespect people give towards the Tea party?
because they have really bad ideas.

Quote:
What is ironic is that most of the hate comes from so called "liberals" who what i thought were for equality?
they generally want equality when it comes to things that human beings cannot control. like your skin color or your gender, or having a disability, etc.

being a member of the tea party is a choice.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:58 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
because they have really bad ideas.
Would you care to elaborate on which ideas you feel are bad and why you consider them to be so?

Old 10-10-2013, 03:19 PM

67 posts, read 67,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Lemmings is some what common word though. These come from Urban Dictionary...
A member of a crowd with no originality or voice of his own. One who speaks or repeats only what he has been told. A tool. A cretin.
A lemming refers to a purchase/wished-for-item which results from reading an enthusiastic post about a new fabulous product. Overcome by compulsion, readers follow like lemmings diving off a cliff.
A derogatory term used to reference a person who seemingly does not possess any form of individual thought, and instead, mindlessly follows the behaviors and actions of the masses.
Yeah, common in message board circles. It's tough for some people to separate themselves from "cyberland".

Old 10-10-2013, 03:33 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjam1 View Post
Yeah, common in message board circles. It's tough for some people to separate themselves from "cyberland".
Many words have started in "cyberland" but have become pop culture. Ever hear of trolling perhaps.

Old 10-10-2013, 03:56 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjam1 View Post
Romney WAS a moderate before he ran for president. The teabaggers ruined Romney.

Moderate?
Romney in his own words, claimed to be a Progressive Republican.
I bet the Conservatives did ruin him. They didn't throw full support behind an admitted Progressive.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:31 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Would you care to elaborate on which ideas you feel are bad and why you consider them to be so?
well, i don't have time to write you a thorough list, but a few main ones come to mind.

they think that government created the debt that caused the housing bubble, instead of the non-conforming sub-prime private sector loans that actually caused the problems.

they think that cutting government spending will have a meaningful positive impact on the unemployment rate, which i don't.

they want to repeal obamacare but have no coherent idea about what to replace it with.

they think that the ultra-wealthy are overtaxed, when in reality they pay 15% cap gains and have corporate loopholes galore.

they think the spending part of the deficit is driven by welfare or programs for the poor, when in reality it is driven by unfunded Medicare costs (Part D) and defense. (a corollary here being: they think they paid "their share" of payroll taxes to account for the medicare they'll get, but they didn't.)

So basically they want to cut the benefits of everyone else, so that deficit spending can be routed to shore up the programs that benefit them most, all in the name of "saving the nation from Obama."

i'm sure i missed a few, but that's the gist of why I think the Tea Party is a waste of oxygen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies