Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 12:51 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliciano View Post
Messed up about how he kept insisting to know.
AND had she been religious was she going to answer no?

WTF kind of stupid questions is this.. Journalists in these situations are *******s, we had a house fire and the TV reporter is asking "How do you feel?".... "I feel like ripping your head off is how I feel"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 05:16 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,759,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Yeah, he probably just expected to hear that, as it is the heart of The Heartland. Buckle of the Bible Belt and all that.

Truth is, (as I keep saying on the forum, so forgive me if I sound like a broken record) Oklahoma is quite diverse. There's a good mix which includes people of all nationalites, some sovereign nations contained within its borders, nonbelievers, pagans, artists, old first-generation hippies, old first-generation punks (like myself)...plenty of freaks and flakes here.

But really, I have no issue at all with believers. Some of the kindest, most intelligent people I've ever known are religious in one way or another. Whatever gets people through the night and offers them comfort and fellowship in a world that is often too dark to bear. Or gives them some slace through a tragedy like this.

Who knows? Maybe they are even right to believe in some kind of deity or higher power. I don't personally believe that, but I could be wrong. The universe is vast and we know very little about it, ourselves or "reality" at this point.
Being a Christian and an American, I thank you for your comments. Very well said and very understanding of those with different beliefs than yourself.

I have atheist friends that continuously make fun of those of us that do believe and its refreshing to see someone that admits that none of us truly have proof of their views other than faith.

Old 05-22-2013, 05:50 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
It does call into question why the Bible Belt gets hit so hard with natural disasters.
Just happens to be in the path of 2 competing jet streams

Old 05-22-2013, 05:55 AM

39,075 posts, read 51,199,205 times
I saw this myself on CNN. Having spent a lot of time in Oklahoma, I know what was in Blitzer's mind. Religion is part of the air in that state, and after a disaster like this he probably heard "God this" and "Jesus that" so many times from victims, store owners, radio shows, that he just assumed that everybody was praising the Lord and that doing so was cathartic for the victims. His ears were ringing. He was offering her the opportunity to give praise and thanks that he assumed she needed. She may well have been the first victim (and last) he talked to that did not take him up on it.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:50 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,753,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I saw this myself on CNN. Having spent a lot of time in Oklahoma, I know what was in Blitzer's mind. Religion is part of the air in that state, and after a disaster like this he probably heard "God this" and "Jesus that" so many times from victims, store owners, radio shows, that he just assumed that everybody was praising the Lord and that doing so was cathartic for the victims. His ears were ringing. He was offering her the opportunity to give praise and thanks that he assumed she needed. She may well have been the first victim (and last) he talked to that did not take him up on it.
Exactly.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:53 AM

20,457 posts, read 12,373,731 times
Quote:
It does call into question why the Bible Belt gets hit so hard with natural disasters.
you like rollingignorant dont you? geez

you do realize that tornadoes were hitting this part of the country long before the first Christian was even born right? Right? RIGHT?

I MEAN YOU DO GET THAT RIGHT???????

Old 05-22-2013, 11:41 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,165,843 times
Quote:
That is excellent, that thought never even occurred to me.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:33 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
you like rollingignorant dont you? geez

you do realize that tornadoes were hitting this part of the country long before the first Christian was even born right? Right? RIGHT?

I MEAN YOU DO GET THAT RIGHT???????
No..i really don't.

God is omnipotent and omnipresent. He's also omniscient. I mean, this is what Christians tell me. (of course i don't believe any of these things myself)

So why doesn't he simply change the pattern of tornadoes, or get rid of tornadoes altogether? Oklahoma is supposedly "God's Country" according to many residents of the state. And no state has as many so called 'devout' people.

What did the people of Oklahoma do to deserve such destruction? What's the since of worshiping someone that won't protect you, yet protects an atheist? Ehhhhhh?

Why shouldn't this tornado hit such places as San Francisco, Los Angeles, Detroit, New Orleans, or Miami....you know, those wicked Godless places and spare those devout Oklahomans?

Blitzer put his foot in his mouth, but i can understand what he was thinking. This IS Oklahoma after all. Most people would be safe in the assumption he made. Unfortunately, he ran into one of the smarter Oklahomans. LMAO...

Old 05-22-2013, 01:38 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
I agree. He would normally be quite safe in that assumption. Oh well...lesson learned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Just happens to be in the path of 2 competing jet streams
Okay.

Again, omnipotent and omnipresent. Sounds to me like someone could change those jets streams to save his devout believers. Otherwise, what's the use?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Being a Christian and an American, I thank you for your comments. Very well said and very understanding of those with different beliefs than yourself.

I have atheist friends that continuously make fun of those of us that do believe and its refreshing to see someone that admits that none of us truly have proof of their views other than faith.
If you don't have proof, then why have faith? I mean, there should at least be a preponderance of strong evidence if not outright proof.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliciano View Post
My point exactly. Most of the time religion is not brought up during a tragedy until the person being interviewed brings it up. Messed up about how he kept insisting to know.
I don't think he was too insistent. He was just trying to make good TV. Hell, he's a Jew...he could care less.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:55 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
I saw this myself on CNN. Having spent a lot of time in Oklahoma, I know what was in Blitzer's mind. Religion is part of the air in that state,....
When I was traveling the country we stopped at a McDonald's or something like that in either Arkanasa or Oklahoma, where I live you don't take your hat off when you go to a McD's. It seemed like we were being stared at, it wasn't until we were leaving that we noticed the the giant hat rack with all the hats on it on the way out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies