Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 12:10 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,777,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vox populi View Post
No, it is NOT. And you have no right to demand from doctors to assist your suicide. You want it - do it YOURSELF

you have had it ALWAYS. You simply want to impose your will on others.
Maybe the "others" you speak of have an understanding of the suffering of the person asking for assisted suicide and have the compassion to put that person out of their misery? I guess you never watched someone die who was in horrible pain from a terminal illness. Watch them wither away and that's the last memory you hold of them.

As a child I watched my grandfather who was riddled with cancer suffer in unbelievable pain. Fortunately he had a doctor who possessed compassion for the suffering and gave my grandmother the choice of watching her husband die in extreme pain or give him something to stop the pain. She asked that his pain be stopped.

There is the living will, which is not a demand, but the wishes of someone unable to speak for them self. If you had a family member who is given no hope for survival or cure, with little time to live and who is dying a slow painful death, you could actually watch them suffer until they take their last breath??

If assisted suicide was legal, there may be doctors who may want to opt out of participating, and that should be a choice. If I ask for assisted suicide, and their is a doctor willing to assist, there is no demand, and there is no forcing one's will upon another.

How do you feel about euthanizing animals that are incurably ill?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 12:18 AM

Quote:
you have the right and ability and dignity and whatever to do it ANY MINUTE you decide it.

You have had it ALWAYS.

But you want to impose the decision and the deed on somebody else.

It called cowardice.

Plus it is a wide open door to numerous murders. Or murder suspicions, murder accusations and therefore - more ruined families.
Good grief. Just because a family member or a guardian asks for assisted suicide because someone is ill and they want to off them, that there wouldn't be an assessment by doctors of a patient's illness and life expectancy before a determination is made?

Someone knowing that they have a very short time to live and wanting to stop the pain and suffering that they live with is a coward?

What healthy person or a person with a curable disease would want to exercise their right, ability and dignity want to be euthanized?

Old 09-13-2013, 12:21 AM

Quote:
doctors don't have medications at their disposals.
Really? Are they limited to aspirin?

Old 09-13-2013, 12:23 AM

Quote:
you know perfectly well where you can get medications in America.

Would that be from your local drug dealer???

Old 09-13-2013, 12:30 AM

Quote:
I don't plan for that.

YOU HAVE TO.

there are unplanned things in life and YOU have to plan for them.

Grow up and stop forcing others to make important decisions instead of you.
So you have your whole life planned out and a plan for every scenario?

There's a saying: If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

God is laughing at you, and so am I.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I have no problem making decisions for myself, thank you very much.

If I end up in some type of physical condition where I no longer want to live.....I WANT a doctor who believes in assisted suicide to help me do so.

There.....I have made MY DECISION.....and you should butt out and keep your opinion to yourself.

And...... if you want to lay in a bed writhing in agony months on end waiting to die.....I won't say a word.... that's YOUR decision.

See how nicely that works?
I hope the poster has expressed his "beliefs" to his entire family and if he's ever in a situation where he has a slow incurable disease living him to suffer and in pain and he wants the pain and suffering to stop, they remind him of how he felt and that he shouldn't be asking them to be involved in stopping it.

Old 09-13-2013, 03:58 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,038,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Good grief. Just because a family member or a guardian asks for assisted suicide because someone is ill and they want to off them, that there wouldn't be an assessment by doctors of a patient's illness and life expectancy before a determination is made?

Someone knowing that they have a very short time to live and wanting to stop the pain and suffering that they live with is a coward?

What healthy person or a person with a curable disease would want to exercise their right, ability and dignity want to be euthanized?
A) Doctors make mistakes all the time.

B) The sick and elderly can be easily coerced.

C) Mental illness comes into play.

Old 09-13-2013, 04:06 AM

15,701 posts, read 17,032,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
No, when Mom is placed in a care facility, because no family members want to change her pants or sheets any more because she is incontinent, an advance directive is filled out by the children. I have seen many elderly people, who still are very cognitive, pretty much just don't want to deal with their families any longer, out of exhaustion. They want to just be in peace. Family members have haranged them to get rid of their big house, and then, they don't even want to help their parents live in a small condo any longer, there are so many families, who are vicious, they want their parents gone, and they want the money. Greed. And they wear down their parents...who may be frail, and just not up to the fight any longer.

I have seen it. and been appalled.

Yes, Mom still has a voice, but she is so worn down by the constant badgering to give over control of her funds, and life, she just does it, sometimes, out of shame...shame to have a child who is so disrepectful.
Not everyone is in a position to quit their job and stay home to care for an elderly parent.

That does not mean they don't love them and can't wait for them to die.

And.....there is nothing loving about someone who wants a parent to suffer needlessly just because they are too selfish to let go.

"I don't care how much Mom is suffering.....I want her kept alive no matter what." is not my idea of love.

Old 09-13-2013, 04:09 AM

15,701 posts, read 17,032,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
A) Doctors make mistakes all the time.

B) The sick and elderly can be easily coerced.

C) Mental illness comes into play.
Yes, they do.....yet we don't abandon doctors and medical care.

Old 09-13-2013, 04:11 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,038,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Yes, they do.....yet we don't abandon doctors and medical care.
I certainly wouldn't want a doctor making the decision on when I die.

Although, with obamacare looming, this point may be moot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies