Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 07:56 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,446,691 times

Advertisements

idk if this is right for Politics and Other Controversies. Maybe Great Debates.

Because honestly I think it goes deeper than politics. With women's lib, women are often able to get more education and then outearn men. I think many women are simply tired of putting up with men, and women that would have done this 50 years ago couldn't because of societal reasons. With the change in society, women who want to do this now feel free to do so.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:57 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,202,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed Potatoes View Post
Thats why so many lesbos try their hardest to look like men right?
Seriously?

The lesbian community is filled with many different types. You just can't see most of us, we don't stand out in a crowd. I look like the typical soccer mom, wear heels and dresses, have long hair, and always wear makeup. A couple that are friends of mine, one looks like a cheerleader, the other like a female athlete. I do know some butch lesbians, and some androgynous lesbians, but for the most part we look like any other female.

The butch femme dynamic is not really a large percentage of the lesbian community.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:59 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Men like the ones in this thread are why some women give up on men.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:02 AM

1,137 posts, read 971,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Seriously?

The lesbian community is filled with many different types. You just can't see most of us, we don't stand out in a crowd. I look like the typical soccer mom, wear heels and dresses, have long hair, and always wear makeup. A couple that are friends of mine, one looks like a cheerleader, the other like a female athlete. I do know some butch lesbians, and some androgynous lesbians, but for the most part we look like any other female.

The butch femme dynamic is not really a large percentage of the lesbian community.
What would you define as a large percentage?

You would agree that specific areas would have some more than others correct?

Why do you think it is that if I call a butch "sir", "man", or "dude" they get all pissy? If people choose to have an appearance of indeterminate gender, they waive the right to be angry if their gender is mistaken.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:05 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,937,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Men like the ones in this thread are why some women give up on men.
That is a lot of Bull ! I give women more credit than that, gay or straight.The way I see it, living with a lesbian wife, you being straight, does not compute....unless she swings both ways and can handle that kinda relationship. ( men too )..

Old 05-22-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
What would you define as a large percentage?

You would agree that specific areas would have some more than others correct?

Why do you think it is that if I call a butch "sir", "man", or "dude" they get all pissy? If people choose to have an appearance of indeterminate gender, they waive the right to be angry if their gender is mistaken.
Some butches PREFER to be called sir, or other male descriptors. Most will just ignore your comment if you use the incorrect term.

I can only give you my estimates on the numbers. I know about 30 lesbians, of those only 7 are butch, 2 are androgynous.

Maybe a little research on your part would help you understand that you are stereotyping ALL lesbians by the ones that stand out to you.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Some butches PREFER to be called sir, or other male descriptors. Most will just ignore your comment if you use the incorrect term.

I can only give you my estimates on the numbers. I know about 30 lesbians, of those only 7 are butch, 2 are androgynous.

Maybe a little research on your part would help you understand that you are stereotyping ALL lesbians by the ones that stand out to you.
Lesbians do not warrant me spending my time trying to find out how many try to look like dudes.

Only reason I asked was because I was in a "progressive" city last week for business and saw countless he/she/it's walking around.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:21 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
[quote=Trimac20;29675252]Scientists say more and more women are changing their sexuality in mid-life. Can it really be true? And what's the emotional cost? | Mail Online

Many say we're born either gay or straight, and while i think a lot of it is genetic, I believe things aren't so clear-cut. I've heard many stories like the above, of women who swear black and blue that they were straight who suddenly 'fall in love' with another woman and leave their husband, or switch sides, sometimes for good. Does this suggest that some women can, indeed, become lesbians? I'm not denying some women are born lesbians, but it really does seem some people, especially women, go gay at some stage in their life.

What i think is that female sexuality isn't as fixed on the male gender as the opposite. It's what they call more 'fluid', but maybe women don't even have a true 'orientation' in the same sense as men do. Think about it, many supposedly straight women say they think females are sexier than males. The media influences them to think of women as sexier. The other obvious point is that many women seem to go lesbian out of resentment for men, as we saw in the 70s with radical first-wave feminism. Now i don't agree there's a gay agenda to turne everyone gay, but certain lesbians (and I can't say the %, it's probably a minority) do try their luck with straight women, sometimes married, and sometimes succeed. It happens in real life whether you believe it or not.

Maybe we've also always been a bit bi, and in those liberal times women think they can switch over to women because it's the 'person you are attracted to.' Has there maybe also been a blurring being platonic and romantic love? Female friends sometimes sweet-talk each other you'd think they were into each other. I know most of it is just friendly, but is that line thinning for women? In ancient societies good male friends often became lovers as well, especially in the battlefield, and it was indeed encouraged. Are we seeing this with women today?

Are we living in an era where as a man, we can never be sure if our wife will one day leave us for another woman?[/quote]

Well, not unless you are terribly insecure.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Lesbians do not warrant me spending my time trying to find out how many try to look like dudes.

Only reason I asked was because I was in a "progressive" city last week for business and saw countless he/she/it's walking around.
You probably saw even more femme lesbians, but didn't notice.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
You probably saw even more femme lesbians, but didn't notice.
I do not doubt that. I was at a college so I expected a small number of loony tunes, but the sheer number even had my employee asking me if we were dropped into Lesbotown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies