Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 04:33 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Answer the question. What is wrong with having people from Asia come to the USA?
Depends on country. East Asians not much of a problem. Problem begins with Pakistanis and others of Muslim background. Honestly though the real beauty of the '24 law is it restricted overall immigration. We import nearly 2 million people a year. It's simply too many people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 05:58 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,386,383 times
The 1964 Immigration and Nationality Act was the worst piece of legislation in the history of the country and is what has led to today - what we're seeing now, the death of America.

Quote:
The Families Factor

The influx of refugees and of millions of illegal immigrants over the last several decades have certainly contributed to the United States' profound demographic transformation. But the chief driver of this change remains the system of family-based immigration put in place in 1965. Over time, in a process critics call "chain migration," entire families have re-established themselves in the United States. Historian Otis Graham thinks the policy has been a terrible mistake.

"Family reunification puts the decision of who comes to America in the hands of foreigners," Graham says. "Those decisions are out of the hand of the Congress — they just set up a formula and its kinship. Frankly, it could be called nepotism."

1965 Immigration Law Changed Face of America : NPR

It was because of those drunkard womanizing Kennedy boys that America is crumbling, literally and figuratively today as we see it.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:03 AM

62,930 posts, read 29,126,415 times
I couldn't give a rat's behind about the past. My focus is on today and the future. Immigration should be done legally and in numbers that don't negatively impact our own citizens. I am all for diversity rather than allowing in more immigrants from one ethnic group than any other whom by the way currently are the poor, uneducated and unskilled for the most part. A sane policy would include our needs as a country and diversity so that immigrants assimilate rather than colonize. I also oppose the huge number that are coming here under family reunification catagories that end up being a burden to our country.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:34 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,593,544 times
We still allowed people to come in between 1924-65. It was just in much more manageable numbers. After WW2,many people from eastern Europe were allowed to come as refugees. I would also like to clarify something. By lower caliber,when referring to immigrants from eastern and southern Europe,I meant less educated and skilled. Not as individuals. Now,I do stand by saying that the third world people are of a lower grade.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:40 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Sorry, but that's total crap.

United States Policy and its Impact on European Jews

While I am grateful that my grandparents were fortunate enough to find refuge in this country, the fact remains that the US effectively slammed the door in the faces of millions of eastern European Jews who had no escape, no hope of rescue, and were facing near-certain death at the hands of the Nazis. We were not the only nation to do that, but it should still be a source of shame.

I am in favor of reducing immigration, but it must be across the board with no regard to race, nationality, etc. And we must keep refugee/asylum programs in place. These programs account for fewer than 100,000 immigrants here on a yearly basis out of millions.

It is impossible to overstate the devastating impact of the Holocaust on world Jewry. 1/3 of all Jews on Earth were killed between 1933 and 1945. 2/3 of all Jews in Europe were slaughtered. Over 90% of Poland's Jews were killed. On top of the 6 million Jews who were exterminated, the Nazis killed another 6 million Gypsies, Slavs, Catholics, homosexuals, Communists, trade unionists, physically and/or mentally disabled people, etc. The Nazis intended to scrape Poland clean and claim it for itself. And the US said to these refugees, "Sorry...you can't come in because we're racist and we have some radical Orthodox Jews in New York who make us uncomfortable because they dress funny."

http://www.historyplace.com/worldwar...statistics.htm

Old 05-23-2013, 08:05 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
We still allowed people to come in between 1924-65. It was just in much more manageable numbers. After WW2,many people from eastern Europe were allowed to come as refugees. I would also like to clarify something. By lower caliber,when referring to immigrants from eastern and southern Europe,I meant less educated and skilled. Not as individuals. Now,I do stand by saying that the third world people are of a lower grade.
Pathetic.

Racist, xenophobic and for the most part a stark demonstration of the ignorance of current immigration policy.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:02 PM

62,930 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Pathetic.

Racist, xenophobic and for the most part a stark demonstration of the ignorance of current immigration policy.
What are you talking about? We allow in 1 million legal immigrants per year and most of them are from south of our border. So if there is any racism or xenophobia it is towards all other potential immigrants.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
The 1964 Immigration and Nationality Act was the worst piece of legislation in the history of the country and is what has led to today - what we're seeing now, the death of America.

1965 Immigration Law Changed Face of America : NPR

It was because of those drunkard womanizing Kennedy boys that America is crumbling, literally and figuratively today as we see it.
Quote:
"It was not what people were marching in the streets over in the 1960s," she says. "It was really a group of political elites who were trying to look into the future. And again, it was the issue of, 'Are we going to be true to what we say our values are?'"

In 1965, the political elite on Capitol Hill may not have predicted a mass increase in immigration. But Marian Smith, the historian for Customs and Immigration Services, showed me a small agency booklet from 1966 that certainly did. It explains how each provision in the new law would lead to a rapid increase in applications and a big jump in workload — more and more so as word trickled out to those newly eligible to come. Smith says a lifetime of immigration backlogs had built up among America's foreign-born minorities. These immigrants would petition for relatives to come to the United States, and those relatives in turn would petition for other family members. Demand from post-colonial countries in Asia and Africa, she notes, jumped after World War II.
Political elites equal Ted Kennedy. Interesting that Chinese illegals have been trying to sneek into America through Mexico for 100 years. Learn something new everyday.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Sorry, but that's total crap.

United States Policy and its Impact on European Jews

While I am grateful that my grandparents were fortunate enough to find refuge in this country, the fact remains that the US effectively slammed the door in the faces of millions of eastern European Jews who had no escape, no hope of rescue, and were facing near-certain death at the hands of the Nazis. We were not the only nation to do that, but it should still be a source of shame.

I am in favor of reducing immigration, but it must be across the board with no regard to race, nationality, etc. And we must keep refugee/asylum programs in place. These programs account for fewer than 100,000 immigrants here on a yearly basis out of millions.

It is impossible to overstate the devastating impact of the Holocaust on world Jewry. 1/3 of all Jews on Earth were killed between 1933 and 1945. 2/3 of all Jews in Europe were slaughtered. Over 90% of Poland's Jews were killed. On top of the 6 million Jews who were exterminated, the Nazis killed another 6 million Gypsies, Slavs, Catholics, homosexuals, Communists, trade unionists, physically and/or mentally disabled people, etc. The Nazis intended to scrape Poland clean and claim it for itself. And the US said to these refugees, "Sorry...you can't come in because we're racist and we have some radical Orthodox Jews in New York who make us uncomfortable because they dress funny."

The History Place - Holocaust Timeline: Statistics of the Holocaust
Sigh how much longer will Jews hold the country hostage over the Holocaust? Jews now have a refuge it's called Israel, Americans helped set it up and spend a lot of money protecting it.

Israel doesn't have open borders and doesn't recognize refugees from Muslims from other land. I'm not sure why America has to allow in refugees from Chechnya and backward countries like the Central African Republic.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:25 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,777,483 times
Just saw a documentary on PBS about the Frieder brothers who exported cigars out of the Philippines. They along with President Quezon and some state department Guy named Mcnutt moved thousands of jews out of Germany into the PIs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
so they could not go to England? or New Zealand? or Australia? or Canada? or Cuba? why is it it that the only the US is "anti Semitic"? this America is a racist unfair place BS is now being seen for what it is, revisionist history nothing more..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies