Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 10:05 AM

3,846 posts, read 2,379,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
You show me one piece of evidence to backup your claims. Wal-mart's efficiencies at sourcing and growing mass produce is actually better for the enviorement then 100s of local small farms. Produce at Big W is no different from a nutrition and health standpoint than produce elsewhere. A lot of times it can be better

The prices allow people of all incomes to afford produce as part of a daily meal, try doing that with your "locally sourced" fruits and veggies. You wonder why McDonald's is their goto place.

I'm not a typical American, i'm a skeptical american who has worked in the food industry and has done business at wal-mart. . .I know your conspiracy theories are what they are. . .crap.

(Note: I've never worked for wal-mart, and no longer work for any company that does direct business with wal-mart)
Would you rather eat a banana that has been genetically modified to glow in the dark whilst it traverses your gastrointestinal tract, or one that secrets pesticides throughout your G.I. tract?

Just another variable to include in diagnosing why a certain generation of Americans are allergic to peanut butter, but other generations weren't and aren't.

You get enough variables out there, and no one will be able to trace anything to anything, especially when you are confronted with combinative synergies.

Any death to fauna and flora outside you is most likely death to those things inside you.

Most people eat a steady diet of antibiotics and pesticides.

Go ahead, HAVE your V-8. It goes good with reconstituted cow.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:05 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,893,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
I don't even know who that is. I'll ask again though; why should I march against Monsanto?
Michael Taylor was the VP for Monsanto and was recently appointed by Obama to be the Senior Advisor on the FDA.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:07 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,012,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Because Michael Taylor was the VP for Monsanto and was recently appointed by Obama to be the Senior Advisor on the FDA.
Ok. So because he took a new job I should march against Monsanto? Are we marching because we're pissed Monsanto didn't fight harder to keep him or something?

Old 05-24-2013, 10:09 AM

52,530 posts, read 34,259,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonarchist View Post
Yeah!

Up with quantity, down with quality.

Corn is corn. Well, just so's ya don't affect its looks.

Poisoned corn can feed more people than non-poisoned corn.

PLUS, as it kills people off, supply will increase even further.!

It's just economics!

Fkn Libertarians!
people have been killed by GMO corn?

how many?

links pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Livestock are having problems with this GMO corn and soybeans.
It's just not headline news.
no they aren't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonarchist View Post
It's on the internet, but don't go there or the smart people on this forum will condemn you.

It's also ruining lawnmower engines.
ethanol in gasoline has nothing to do with GMOs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Just take a look at ingredient labels and see how much of our food contains corn and soy. I try hard to avoid both (plus a lot of other things, but that's OT).

If livestock are having problems, you can bet we can link a lot of our health problems to it too.
but since they aren't - you can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Have you seen any non-GMO corn lately? This crap is in everything. We can't even trust USDA certified organic anymore, because you don't know what's in the ground, they are allowed to use modified seeds to grow 'organic'. The animals you consume are modified, thus we are becoming genetically modified.
If only one county said no to GMO, this movement would soon explode, but that county would probably have to fight not only Monsanto but that state, the feds, along with some UN Treaty. They have their tentacles everywhere.
This is basically a fight for heirloom and organic vs them.
huh? which ones? modified how?

documentation pls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
A long time ago, gmo was touted as the solution to feed the world.
We have millions still starving and the only thing being feed is Monsanto and politicians coffers.
how many people are starving in countries that grow GMO crops?

Quote:
Exactly! It is a nice intention and good way to get people to side with GMO's, but unfortunately something tells me the maker of Agent Orange does not care about world hunger.
what does producing a pesticide have to do with not caring about world hunger?

Quote:
Why would I march against Monsanto?
because you might have eagerly read the lies and propaganda vomited forth by such illustrious publications as russia today and natural news?

[it appears you did not, btw]

Old 05-24-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Ok. So because he took a new job I should march against Monsanto? Are we marching because we're pissed Monsanto didn't fight harder to keep him or something?
If you don't have a problem with collusion between our Federal Government and Multi-National Corporations than you have nothing to march about. I find it odd you wouldn't have a problem with that, but hey it's your right.

Something tells me you wouldn't march for anything though.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
If you don't have a problem with collusion between our Government and Multi-National Corporations than you have nothing to march about. I find it odd you wouldn't have a problem with that but, hey it's your right.

Something tells me you wouldn't march for anything though.
So a guy leaving his job as VP of one company and taking a job in the government makes collusion?

Old 05-24-2013, 10:17 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,947,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
people have been killed by GMO corn?

how many people are starving in countries that grow GMO crops?
Why are you against Free Market Capitalism?

Old 05-24-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
So a guy leaving his job as VP of one company and taking a job in the government makes collusion?
There is a long history and no offense but I don't possess the patience to explain it to someone like you.

Look up the Monsanto Protection Act for starters.

The FDA is all we have and it has been corrupted.

As I've said before:

If their products are so healthy, why do they need to bribe our Government to say so?
If their products are so safe why do they need to control research?
Why do they put clauses in studies that prevent the release of information if it is unfavorable for the corporation?

Old 05-24-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
There is a long history and no offense but I don't possess the patience to explain it to someone like you.
As a man of science, I'm sure I'd be explaining (read: debunking) things to you.

Quote:
Look up the Monsanto Protection Act for starters.
I'm well aware of this law and support it fully.

Quote:
The FDA is all we have and it has been corrupted.
Because they have a new special advisor?

Quote:
As I've said before:

If their products are so healthy, why do they need to bribe our Government to say so?
If their products are so safe why do they need to control research?
Why do they put clauses in studies that prevent the release of information if it is unfavorable for the corporation?
Simple question for you.

Can you show me any legitimate, peer reviewed studies (ones that can be accessed via PubMed or MedLine) that show that a GMO is unsafe or dangerous just by way of being a GMO?

Old 05-24-2013, 10:37 AM

15,082 posts, read 14,291,533 times
Good article. I'm a hippy-dippy tree-hugger, and I'm still not convinced GMO foods are that harmful.

Many Scientists Smell a Rat in French GMO Rat Study

Last edited by weltschmerz; 05-24-2013 at 10:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.