Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2013, 10:50 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,183,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
You can see who the real communists are now that are against people having a choice and believe the (State+Corporate Complex) should decide for us.
Global march challenges Monsanto's dominance: TIMELINE ? RT News
Melbourne
Japan
South Africa
Amsterdam
We don't want no stinking labels, the consumer should not have the choice to decide. If we put labels on them, it will stand out to much rather than being something they have to decipher in a UPC code.
I want LABELING of GMO's!
Global march challenges Monsanto's dominance: TIMELINE
People carry signs during a protest against agribusiness giant Monsanto in Los Angeles on May 25, 2013.
The March Against Monsanto has seen millions in 436 cities in 52 countries challenging biotech corporations and protesting against genetically modified foods, which despite bans in some states due to potential health hazards remain legal in many others.
23:01 GMT: Marches against the biotechnology giant Monsanto have taken place in 436 cities across 52 countries with an estimated total number of participants standing at over two million, the organizers of the global event said.
“If I had gotten 3,000 people to join me, I would have considered that a success,” founder and organizer Tami Canal said. Instead, she said two million responded to her message.
22:41 GMT: Over 2,500 people have marched against Monsanto in Las Vegas.
22:37 GMT: In order to take full control of the global food chain the world’s largest owner of patents on seeds Monsanto is lobbying, bribing, suing small farmers out of business and altering scientific research, geopolitical analyst F. William Engdahl told RT.
22:17 GMT: Thousands swarmed near the Monsanto lobbying headquarters in Washington DC. Some of the protesters had dressed as bees and pretended to have died at the office's doors.
22:02 GMT: Hundreds flooded the streets of Florida calling on the US government to stop lobbying for biotechnology giants.
21:49 GMT: Dozens have marched through Columbus, Ohio.
1:37 GMT: Over 500 people marched through downtown Anchorage, Alaska, bearing signs with slogans like “I’m not a scientific experiment” and “Demand GMO Labels.”
21:12 GMT: Chile has joined the protest against the agricultural giant with marches and other events taking place in in Santiago and several other cities.
Local organizer of the “March Against Monsanto”, Tami Monroe Canal, told The Santiago Times that she started the movement to protect her two little daughters.

“As a parent I just can’t stand by and not do anything to protect my children as well as their friends and the generation they are a part of,” she said. “I just really worry about my kids’ future. Their health, their longevity, their fertility.”

Monsanto first began its operations in Chile in 2005 by purchasing Seminis Vegetable Seeds, a company that sold some 3,500 seed varieties to more than 150 countries. Currently Monsanto owns seed production and packaging plants in Melipilla, Viluco and Paine and experimental plants in Arica, Santa Julia, Rancagua and Temuco.
Demonstrators hold banners during a rally against U.S.-based Monsanto Co. and genetically modified organisms (GMO), in Valparaiso city May 25, 2013.
20:53 GMT: Hundreds of people gathered in Savannah in the US state of Georgia to join the global protest against Monsanto.
20:39 GMT: Thousands protested near the Sacramento State Capitol in California. The event featured magnificent traditional Aztec dances.
20:27 GMT: Dozens have gathered in front of Monsanto office in Buenos Aires, Argentina, dancing and protesting GMO crops. Monsanto’s largest factory in Latin America is located in Argentina, and the company invests millions into new “experimental facilities.”
20:19 GMT: Over 6,000 people have marched in Portland expressing their frustration with the biotech giant Monsanto.
20:11 GMT: Over 500 activists gathered in Dallas chanting “No more lies! No more greed! We don't want your toxic seed!”
20:05 GMT: The Vancouver March Against Monsanto is part of an international movement that aims to raise awareness about the impacts of genetically modified organisms in food.
Marchers gathered at the Vancouver Art Gallery beginning at 11 a.m. local time before making their way through the city.
Fearing the massive effect genetic engineering has both on the environment and health, marchers have demanded that companies be forced to label foods containing GMOs.

“There’s a growing body of evidence indicating that genetically modified crops are not benign; they affect both our health and the environment,” Global BC cites Greenpeace Vancouver Local Group member, Zac Hambrook, as saying in a statement.

19:58 GMT: “What do we want? Labels! When do we want em’? Now!” The March Against Monsanto making its way through downtown Cincinnati Ohio.
19:50 GMT: From the East Bay to California's largest city San Diego, anti-Monsanto protests have swept through the Golden State.
19:40 GMT: Hundreds gather in San Francisco's Union Square to take part in the nationwide as well as global march against Monsanto.
19:30 GMT: Activists in Olympia, Washington organized a march to the state capitol and onward to help take back control of their food supply. Alliance for Global Justice, an organizer behind the march, said 888 people had initially signed up to attend the poor weather conditions might have dissuaded many from turning out.
18:55 GMT: Environmental groups across America have blamed companies like Monsanto for the drastic decline in the honey bee population over recent years, saying the pesticides they produce have killed off millions of the vital insect in recent years. Monsanto plans to host a "Bee Summit" in June to discuss solutions to the bee’s North American demise. "Everybody is concerned by it," Monsanto Chief Technology Officer Robert Fraley told Reuters.
18:45 GMT: Several thousand protesters marched through the streets of Vienna, Austria to rally against the US seed giant and GMO products.
18:18 GMT: Several hundred protesters have amassed outside the White House to demand the Obama administration change its policy towards Monsanto. In March, President Obama signed the so-called Monsanto Protection Act, which "effectively bars federal courts from being able to halt the sale or planting of GMO or GE crops and seeds, no matter what health consequences from the consumption of these products may come to light in the future.”
17:58 GMT: Protesters in Los Angeles have evoked the sweeping horrors of the French Revolution to show their disapproval for Monsanto’s practices.
17:50 GMT: Farmers form the Consortium for the Defense of Sicilian Agriculture have pulled out all of the stops…and a tractor to protest the destructive impact of Monsanto on their livelihood and the world’s food supply.
17:40 GMT: #MarchAgainstMonsanto is surging on Twitter despite the virtual mainstream media blackout on the global day of action.
17:37 GMT: Several dozens protesters have come out in Wichita, Kansas to take part in the worldwide call to "take back our food."
17:28GMT: Protesters are starting to fill up Chicago’s Federal Plaza, which is home to a regular farmers market, to take part in one of many anti-Monsanto protests being held throughout the United States.
17:10 GMT: Dozens of demonstrators have gathered in Novi Sad, Serbia’s second largest city, to take part in the global action against Monsanto.
17:00 GMT: A small group of protesters have gathered outside of the Central Academic Theatre of the Russian Army on Suvorov Square to demand a “Russia without GMO!”
16:00 GMT: Several hundred people gathered in Paris for a peaceful protest against the US agrochemical giant Monsanto. A sit in demonstration was held on the Place du Trocadéro square, across the Seine from the Eifel Tower. Protesters could be seen waving signs claiming “"Monsanto plunders and kills the farmers and the planet.”
Anti-genetically modified organism (GMO) activists gather on the Trocadero square near the Eiffel tower during a demonstration against GMOs and US chemical giant Monsanto on May 25, 2013 in Paris
15:40 GMT: Japanese protesters earlier gathered outside Monsanto’s headquarters in Tokyo to chant down the company’s influence on the world’s food supply.
14:40 GMT: Demonstrators gathered at Eastern Market in Detroit, Michigan to "Demand GMO Labeling" and join the worldwide protest against Monsanto. The "March Against Monstanto" is being held in a dozen cities across Michigan, including Detroit, Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids, Traverse City and Sault St. Marie. Tia Lebherz, a local organizer for Food and Water Watch, said companies like Monsanto are "squeezing out our small farmers."
14:10 GMT: “'At Monsanto, we are committed to sustainable agriculture and to continuously improve ways in which we contribute. We are pleased that this honor recognizes that commitment,' said Jerry Steiner, executive vice president, sustainability and corporate affairs at Monsanto. 'This recognition reflects the thousands of Monsanto employees who are working together with farmers and partners around the world to improve agriculture and improve lives.'"
"First published in 1999, the '100 Best Corporate Citizens' list ranks large-cap Russell 1000 companies based on publicly available information in seven key categories: climate change, employee relations, environmental, financial, governance, human rights and philanthropy."
13:50 GMT: Around 300 people have come out for the London March Against Monsanto, calling for better food labeling of products that use ingredients grown with Monsanto seeds. London Organizer Courtney Smith says the issue at heart is that Monsanto is spending millions of dollars to lobby against GMO labeling on foods.The protesters met in Victoria Park at 2:00 p.m. local time and can be seen taking up positions around Parliament.
2:14 GMT: Nick Bernabe, a social media director for March Against Monsanto, told RT that in some parts of the world, Monsanto's tactics are leading farmers to suicide.

“If you look at what happened in India... I mean there was an epidemic of suicides of the farmers,” Bernabe said. “Monsanto sold them a kind of seed that they promised would do a certain thing and then those seeds didn’t perform how they were supposed to. And it drove a lot of those Indian farmers into sheer poverty - and they ended up committing suicide by the hundreds and thousands even.”
Meanwhile in the United States, Monsanto is known for litigating small farmers out of business, Bernabe added.

“There are a lot of small farmers they are putting out business because they have a genetic migration into crops that were not supposed to be GMO, but they are getting cross-pollinated,” he explained. “And then Monsanto comes in, they use their government cronies to go in and shut down small farmers because the genetics from the seeds they’ve patented have slowly crept into the genetics of non-GMO seeds.”
Bernabe says that activists “want to spread awareness and we want to start from the ground up.”

“The easiest thing you can do to know what’s in your food is to grow your own food,” he said. “We start there. At the very top we want labeling and a ban, but I think we should work from the ground up to have the best results.”
1:00 GMT: We are beginning our extensive coverage of the global protest organized by the 'March Against Monsanto' movement. An estimated 200,000 activists are expected participate in the massive campaign spanning six continents, 40 nations, and at least 48 US states.

Last edited by countrylv22; 05-25-2013 at 11:46 PM..

Old 05-25-2013, 10:55 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,917,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylv22 View Post
I want LABELING of poison in my food!
One would think that if they are doing so much for humanity and are so pleased with their products they would want to make it quite clear where their "products" are and how they distinguish themselves from other products.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:00 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,201,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Hard to believe anyone is FOR GMO's, and feeding garbage to their family.

People have a right to know what's in their food, and research so they don't become a burden on the medical system and need medical care. It is a win-win to support Organic and healthy foods.

But perhaps some are too partisan to see facts.
Hard to believe that anyone is against knowing what's in your food. What the hell??? That's just bizarre.

I know alcohol is bad for me, but i still want to know the alcohol content of my favorite beer.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:50 PM

15,082 posts, read 14,291,533 times
Quote:
“If you look at what happened in India... I mean there was an epidemic of
suicides of the farmers,” Bernabe said. “Monsanto sold them a kind of seed that
they promised would do a certain thing and then those seeds didn’t perform how
they were supposed to. And it drove a lot of those Indian farmers into sheer
poverty - and they ended up committing suicide by the hundreds and thousands
even.”

Meanwhile in the United States, Monsanto is known for litigating
small farmers out of business, Bernabe added.
You mean the suicides that started seven years BEFORE Monsanto sold them the seeds?

The issue of farmer suicides first gained media attention in 1995 as the southern state of Maharashtra began reporting a significant rise in farmers killing themselves.

Other states across the country began noticing an increase in farmer suicides as well.
But it wasn’t until seven years later — in 2002 — that the U.S.-based agribusiness Monsanto began selling genetically modified cotton seeds, known as Bt cotton, to Indian farmers. The seeds produce insecticides and led to higher yields, but can be up to 10 times more expensive than regular cotton seeds.
Within years, a narrative began to take shape that farmers were getting into debt to pay for the seed and when they couldn’t repay the money were killing themselves. Another version was that the GM crop failed, leading to debt, leading to suicide.

Myth of India’s ‘GM genocide’: Genetically modified cotton blamed for suicides | World | News | National Post

How I wish people would do some research, instead of believing every email that comes down the pike.
Between the tumours and the farmer suicides.....well, what can I say?

Old 05-26-2013, 03:16 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,766,652 times
Originally Posted by countrylv22
I want LABELING of poison in my food!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
One would think that if they are doing so much for humanity and are so pleased with their products they would want to make it quite clear where their "products" are and how they distinguish themselves from other products.
That doesn't even make sense.

Are you so in love with Monsanto that you don't give a sh|t what they do to us? Seriously, do you think we are so stupid not to see a disinformation crony?

Shut up, there's nothing you can say to disuade us from the truth!

Old 05-26-2013, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Hard to believe that anyone is against knowing what's in your food. What the hell??? That's just bizarre.

I know alcohol is bad for me, but i still want to know the alcohol content of my favorite beer.
EXACTLY! We are done being sheep!!!

Hawaii is our next best hope. Californians proved they are idiots.

Old 05-26-2013, 06:13 AM

weltschmerz obviously doesn't give a sh|t what he/she eats. Why is he/she still here if not to be a useful idiot?

Old 05-26-2013, 06:33 AM

8,058 posts, read 3,929,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
That doesn't even make sense.

Are you so in love with Monsanto that you don't give a sh|t what they do to us? Seriously, do you think we are so stupid not to see a disinformation crony?

Shut up, there's nothing you can say to disuade us from the truth!

LOL! CDusr is on your side Einstein. (But, please, do continue schooling us all on "science")

Old 05-26-2013, 06:38 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,466,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Livestock are having problems with this GMO corn and soybeans.
It's just not headline news.
Please link to your research source.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:11 AM

20,893 posts, read 16,049,604 times
How'd that march go?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.