Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 07:38 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,993,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I think the biggest fallout from these scandals is that the media is definitely angry over these things.

The last couple years of Obama's presidency could be really rough when the media is out with sharp knives reporting the glass 1/2 full.
Rough or honest? The whole job of the press is to be in contention and skeptical with the administration, ANY administration, not just attack one and slobber over the other, not just pull the knives out for one and the velvet glove for the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 07:41 AM

78,326 posts, read 60,517,579 times
It's funny watching both partisan sides taking their predictable stances of Obama is the antichrist.....and of course that none of this is bad blah blah blah.

The reality is that the Non-Fox press, the ACLU and even Obama himself and pretty much every dem rep and Senator has said some of the actions were wrong.

This could be an ugly 2nd term, especially if the democrats lose the Senate....which I think is HIGHLY possible at this point.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:46 AM

78,326 posts, read 60,517,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Rough or honest? The whole job of the press is to be in contention and skeptical with the administration, ANY administration, not just attack one and slobber over the other, not just pull the knives out for one and the velvet glove for the other.
Call it whatever you want, the bottom line is that they are angry and that's never a good thing for a politician.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:49 AM

23,529 posts, read 17,205,480 times
At this point in the 2nd term we are experiencing a government turned against its people.

This is the stuff of banana republics, word for word. In that world, a scandal is called an incident, as consistent with Obama strategy of problem solving by relabeling. A terrorist attack becomes workplace violence. Money laundering becomes an investment of taxpayer money in solar energy.

Senator menendez claimed he approved Holder's appointment because he would restore confidence in the DOJ........how is that working out?

History will not be kind to Obama.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:52 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,993,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Call it whatever you want, the bottom line is that they are angry and that's never a good thing for a politician.
True enough and that's a GOOD thing.

On further thought, I've come to believe that Obama is not "out to get people" or anything like that. I think he's so far out of his depth he's letting his "advisors" run amok and doesn't know how to reign them back in. He's scared to fire them or publicly hold them accountable for whatever reason and is clearly NOT running the government rather, it's running him.
That's what is scary, the truck controlling the driver never turns out well.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:56 AM

5,466 posts, read 4,420,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergofa View Post
Never forget that everything Hitler did in Germany was legal." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
Martin Luther King was obviously a smart man and understood.

We can never forget that everything Hitler did in Germany was "legal" and everything the Hungarian freedom fighters did in Hungary was "illegal." It was "illegal" to aid and comfort a Jew in Hitler's Germany. But I am sure that if I had lived in Germany during that time, I would have aided and comforted my Jewish brothers even though it was illegal. If I lived in a Communist country today where certain principles dear to the Christian faith are suppressed, I believe I would openly advocate disobeying these anti-religious laws ...

Old 05-24-2013, 07:56 AM

62 posts, read 43,662 times
Roger Ailes has just written a letter to his Fox staff:

Dear colleagues,

The recent news about the FBI’s seizure of the phone and email records of Fox News employees, including James Rosen, calls into question whether the federal government is meeting its constitutional obligation to preserve and protect a free press in the United States. We reject the government's efforts to criminalize the pursuit of investigative journalism and falsely characterize a Fox News reporter to a Federal judge as a "co-conspirator" in a crime. I know how concerned you are because so many of you have asked me: why should the government make me afraid to use a work phone or email account to gather news or even call a friend or family member? Well, they shouldn’t have done it. The administration’s attempt to intimidate Fox News and its employees will not succeed and their excuses will stand neither the test of law, the test of decency, nor the test of time. We will not allow a climate of press intimidation, unseen since the McCarthy era, to frighten any of us away from the truth.

I am proud of your tireless effort to report the news over the last 17 years. I stand with you, I support you and I thank you for your reporting with courageous optimism. Too many Americans fought and died to protect our unique American right of press freedom. We can’t and we won’t forget that. To be an American journalist is not only a great responsibility, but also a great honor. To be a Fox journalist is a high honor, not a high crime. Even this memo of support will cause some to demonize us and try to find irrelevant things to cause us to waver. We will not waver.

As Fox News employees, we sometimes are forced to stand alone, but even then when we know we are reporting what is true and what is right, we stand proud and fearless. Thank you for your hard work and all your efforts.

Sincerely,

Roger Ailes

Read more: Roger Ailes' letter to Fox employees | Fox News

Old 05-24-2013, 08:00 AM

62 posts, read 43,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
Martin Luther King was obviously a smart man and understood.

We can never forget that everything Hitler did in Germany was "legal" and everything the Hungarian freedom fighters did in Hungary was "illegal." It was "illegal" to aid and comfort a Jew in Hitler's Germany. But I am sure that if I had lived in Germany during that time, I would have aided and comforted my Jewish brothers even though it was illegal. If I lived in a Communist country today where certain principles dear to the Christian faith are suppressed, I believe I would openly advocate disobeying these anti-religious laws ...
Let's not get started on MLK and communism. He was one.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:00 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,550,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
The Dept of Justice has done nothing beyond what the Law allows. Some may not like the Law, but the solution is to change it, not whine about it.
Will you feel the same when they come after you when you finally say something that they don't like?

Old 05-24-2013, 08:01 AM

5,466 posts, read 4,420,445 times
What is the one commonality in communist countries? The press is owned by those in power. The press is supposed to be the government watchdogs not government lapdogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies