Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 11:45 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,209,760 times

Advertisements

think for yourself for once in your life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 11:53 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
God has nothing to do with rights the government grants you.
Thank you.

If rights come from God, why don't all nations have the same rights?

Old 05-28-2013, 11:56 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,508,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
think for yourself for once in your life

I think for myself all the time Don and I think I like Zo and what he says, I agree with him.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:07 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
I thought it was obvious. The man rejected religion and God thus the Ten Commandants---you know the ones that warn against sexual sins. He was promiscuous and in that time there were no antibiotics to cure STDs. Many people died from them and with syphilis ones brain is eaten away so they go insane before they die. You can read up on it, if you want.
Oh, good grief! You want a list of pious people who got sick and died? It's a pretty long list. There are billions of names on it.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Oh, good grief! You want a list of pious people who got sick and died? It's a pretty long list. There are billions of names on it.
I'm sure there are but I posted about Nietzsche. He thought religion was a cancer like someone else said.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:17 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,838,336 times
It is a cancer and Nietzsche was right.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
It is a cancer and Nietzsche was right.
And died a horrible death by the way he lived. Following the Ten Commandants is not a bad thing, it's just sensible really. Not all atheists live like he did but following Jesus is the best way for most people who want a good life.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:52 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
And died a horrible death by the way he lived. Following the Ten Commandants is not a bad thing, it's just sensible really. Not all atheists live like he did but following Jesus is the best way for most people who want a good life.
The problem is that most people don't follow the teachings of Jesus. They are brainwashed by the church and follow a misinterpreted bible.

Old 05-29-2013, 03:05 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,207,531 times
This isn't even a discussion about religion. People want to argue about keeping religion out of politics or education or whatever. But they fail to recognize what religion actually is. And that is a system of beliefs and values. Whether or not you have those values because of religion or just your personal opinions, they are still your beliefs or your "moral code".

Basically, there are people who think abortion is immoral who are not religious, and there are people who think abortion is immoral who are religious. The pro-abortion people want to argue that people are only against abortion because religion tells them that. Which is a way of not actually debating the issue, and branding anyone who opposes them as being ignorant and controlled by the church.

But regardless. Even if a persons beliefs and values are based on religious teachings, it is still their beliefs. That is how they feel. And you can't tell them they only believe something because of the bible, and then they suddenly stop feeling that way. That is just how they feel.

With that said. I don't think the government should have basically any power whatsoever. And without governments having power, there would be no reason to argue about if religion or anti-religion is the driving force in government.

I mean, if there were no public schools. Then we wouldn't be fighting about how the public schools are either run by atheists, or are run by christian radicals forcing everyone to pray and recite the pledge of allegiance. If the government got out of the marriage business altogether, then gay-marriage wouldn't be an issue. Abortion is an issue regardless of the role of government. And I would suppose that anything that absolutely had to be dealt with by government, would need to be resolved on as local a level as possible. Any kind of one-size-fits-all solution is going to **** a lot of people off.

Old 05-29-2013, 03:47 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,626,809 times
No. Religion should have no place in politics or legislation. It should be a private matter between the believer and his/her God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies