Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2013, 10:29 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,236,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlyeccentric View Post
Politics and religion are a perfect fit in all respects, although arguing and debate, may have to be an integral part of
our social interaction and duty to bring stability to this country? The government and church have failed independently so lets get some good old fashion anti-coexistence and political correctness foolishness outta here and replace it with hysteria ,screaming and confrontational zeal!! Stop those who don't mix politics with religion they are playing games. Give anti-government, pro-government and the church a podium. Defy all these gay ,same sex and amoral,jack-wagons, who ignore Gods covenants, Defy Sharia anything, and restore OUR constitution. OH my!!
Show me one country where religion brought cohesion and peace.
If the church wants a podium, they can pay to play.

Tax the church as soon as any one of them tries to insert themselves into politics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 03:31 PM

2,444 posts, read 3,576,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
The protection of rights is a proper role of government.

However, and this is important to understand, the SOURCE of thoes rights is NOT goverment.

HUGE difference.

And how would you define the divine as the source for rights?

"thy shalt not kill", do you think the stone tablet moses brought down from the hill was increadibly original at the time with the notion that killing each other might not be such a bright Idea? or do you think maybe after about 2 million years of our species walking the planet one or two people had thought getting kill is somewhat inconvenient for those whom like living?

The idea to not be killing each other only becomes a right once it is agreed(legislated) into practical use. The source or idea comes from people and their moral codes, which by no means require any divine beliefs to function... or do you propose that atheists posses less moral thinking abilities?

Old 05-27-2013, 03:45 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,766,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
God has nothing to do with rights the government grants you.
THE GOVERNMENT DOES NOT GRANT US OUR RIGHTS!!!

geez

Old 05-27-2013, 04:04 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,766,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Show me one country where religion brought cohesion and peace.
If the church wants a podium, they can pay to play.

Tax the church as soon as any one of them tries to insert themselves into politics.
What was the first thing that happened when the USSR imploded? Religion took off because up until that point religion was illegal.

The USA is a country that has been quite peaceful under it's largely monotheistic beliefs.

Communism and Marxism has always been synonymous with atheists, agnostics and evolutionists. Communism is what you are given when there is NO RELIGION. Communism is by far the least peaceful form of government. Communism is the historical leader in pain and suffering.

To convey that non-religious governments are somehow more peaceful is ignoring recent history, and an absolute illusion.

Show me one country where a lack of religion brought cohesion and peace.

Old 05-27-2013, 04:21 PM

38,625 posts, read 26,307,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
So the politicians of iran are apparently proposing a law to let 9 year old marry to fit sharia law, which any western reader will find absurd. In general muslim based laws are a cause for a lot of resentment towards foreign legal systems.

But in a more general basis do you think it's acceptable that politicians argue legislation based on religious beliefs? or use the god so many believe in for their political campaigns?

An example is the discussion about abortions, where there is apparently a large part of america being against abortions calling it "pro life", based on their "christian morals and values".
Even presidential candidates went into this in the last election, but what really gives a christian believer and/or politician the right to tell for example an atheist woman what she can or can't do with her womb and arguably almost alive fetus?

President bush ended the better part of his speaches along the lines with "god bless america", a rather innocent statement, but should the highest ruling person of a modern country really be involving religion in his speaches about governing a country of which the very first founding documents state clearly that religion should have nothing to do with the country?

The very first ammendment of your constitution says
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof"

what do you think?

"almost alive fetus"?

"the very first founding documents state clearly that religion should have nothing to do with the country"?

Are you high?

Old 05-27-2013, 05:33 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,062,294 times
It's hard to separate a person from his/her religion. A government is made of people. Those people will almost certainly refer to their religious beliefs to determine what is right or wrong.

That being said, politics or government, should not lean towards or against any particular religion. We know that no religion is more important than another but they are individually important to those who practice them. Maybe the government should be made up of representatives of each religion so there is a governing body looking out for everyone's interest. Right now, the makeup of our government is heavily biased towards one religion. This is a big problem as a government should be unbiased.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:31 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,909,861 times
religion is a cancer....

Old 05-27-2013, 10:56 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,470,913 times
Just one word. NO

Old 05-27-2013, 11:36 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,503,755 times
My spiritual beliefs aren't in the least affected by government policy.

I'm fortunate to live in a country that neither allows a state-sponsored religion nor prohibits my private practice of my own religion. But if I didn't, it'd be of little concern. I'd still be steadfast in my faith and private practice.

I readily grant unto Caesar all political matters, including laws pertaining to matters such as taxes, abortion, gun control, homosexuality, etc. Although I have and express opinions concerning these as political issues and I work to support legislation affecting them, they've nothing to do with spiritual reality.
The most severe attempts at oppression of rights almost always comes from religious-based bureaucrats attempting to disguise themselves as governments.

Old 05-27-2013, 11:53 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,829,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post

But in a more general basis do you think it's acceptable that politicians argue legislation based on religious beliefs? or use the god so many believe in for their political campaigns?

NO,it should not and furthermore, NO religious person should be allowed to hold office, or high position in the govt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies