Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 06:35 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,438,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed Potatoes View Post
12 gauge shotguns can be found for cheap, and are perfect home defense tools.

They are also likely to be a 1 hitter quitter too. If this woman had one, we would be reading about a dead scumbag instead of a laughable story of how a dispatcher told a woman to ask her assailant if he could just go away.
Looks like they cost around $500. So, what do I give up this month? My rent (living with 2 roommates)? My medications? My food and electricity? I'm doing better than a lot of people, but things are tight enough that $500 - or even $200 - is out of the question unless I feel particularly unsafe. Now, if I had an ex who was violent, I would likely have prioritized owning a gun and eaten Ramen for a few months. But this woman for whatever reason did not have one. Her financial situation could have been more dire, she could have had PTSD relating to the relationship which made gun ownership a bad idea for her... we don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 06:39 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,211,195 times
This is our future in a disarmed america. Only criminals with weapons. People need to realize that the police are just there to clean up after the ACTION already happens.

Old 05-24-2013, 06:41 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,503,175 times
I'm betting they still have plenty of deputies available to write speeding tickets and do DWI checkpoints. You know, the revenue generating activities.

You know...my firearms have never told me they were "not available" when I wanted them.

Old 05-24-2013, 06:43 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,345,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Guns are expensive. Not the license, not the ammo - the gun itself. It's an investment that not all people can afford (myself included). And to use it properly, it's also an investment to go to a shooting range to practice regularly, unless you live in an area where you have backyards big enough to practice. In the heat of the moment, you don't want to shoot through your apartment wall and hit the old lady next door because you've never actually shot a gun, or have the backfire surprise you and knock you over - leaving you more vulnerable.

This is not a gun control problem, it's a police and budget problem. What happened here was unacceptable, but her not having a gun has NOTHING to do with gun control.
Pump action shotgun: under 200.00
Range time available locally: 20.00
Enough ammo for practice: 30.00
Not getting raped: priceless

However, the "backfire" might surprise you!

Old 05-24-2013, 06:44 AM

17,791 posts, read 13,687,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Then she should have had a gun...and this dude should be dead right now.
Obviously that was her choice. Are you in favor of mandantory gun ownership?

Old 05-24-2013, 06:49 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,096,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Obviously that was her choice. Are you in favor of mandantory gun ownership?

Are you saying that health insurance should be mandatory?

Maybe we should fine, no I mean tax, those that don't own a firearm.

Old 05-24-2013, 06:49 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,211,195 times
Quote:
Looks like they cost around $500. So, what do I give up this month? My rent (living with 2 roommates)? My medications? My food and electricity? I'm doing better than a lot of people, but things are tight enough that $500 - or even $200 - is out of the question unless I feel particularly unsafe. Now, if I had an ex who was violent, I would likely have prioritized owning a gun and eaten Ramen for a few months. But this woman for whatever reason did not have one. Her financial situation could have been more dire, she could have had PTSD relating to the relationship which made gun ownership a bad idea for her... we don't know.

You need to improve your situation if $200 is out of the question for you to save.... FYI

Old 05-24-2013, 06:54 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,438,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Pump action shotgun: under 200.00
Range time available locally: 20.00
Enough ammo for practice: 30.00
Not getting raped: priceless

However, the "backfire" might surprise you!
Sorry.. chemobrain, kickback. Still, some people really CAN'T do $200. That still sounds like a lot of money to me. Who knows what was going through her head or what other factors were at play (like being a felon or having mental illness).

Old 05-24-2013, 06:55 AM

1,137 posts, read 971,923 times
Quote:
You are looking in the wrong place if you are seeing $500 as the cheapest option for a 12 gauge.

You can find them for as little as $200 or even a few bucks cheaper if you buy one used.

There are plenty of options available, visit your local gun store and see what they have. Hell, alot of gun stores even offer layaway.

Also keep in mind, owning guns is like having a savings account. If you ever fall on to hard times, they can be sold relatively quickly. Guns are a great investment instead of blowing money on crap that will have little to no resale value.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:03 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,479,849 times
Not blaming the victim, but she was already attacked by him before, did time in the hospital, so police failed her once. Appears she did nothing else to help protect herself knowing that the police cant help and it happened again.

Why do people think the police is there to protect them?

Not sure if she is allowed to own a gun or not, but she still had options for defense, not just guns.

In this case, if she is not a felon and is allowed to own a gun, its very well could have helped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies