Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2013, 07:35 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Seriously, speak for yourself or shut the hell up. I've been cycling in Chicago for ~95% of trips for over five years, year-round. Good luck driving downtown or to a popular neighborhood and either spending $30 to park your vehicle or driving for 30 minutes looking for a spot. Public transit can be alright, but WAIT it's even older than cycling, so that's not an option either.

As for upwards and onwards, progress doesn't come free, so are you going to buy me and my friends cars and pay for insurance and gas? We sure as hell don't want to when two wheels and legs are doing pretty well.

And enough of this road tax crap, bicycles don't put 1/1000th the wear and tear on roads that cars do, and while projects like bike lanes cost money, they are still pocket change compared to the regular maintenance needed for auto traffic. A fair tax on cyclists would be significantly less than enough to pay for the licenses, licensing offices, and the whole rest of the bureaucratic scaffolding.
The wear and tear on the roads are paid for by gasoline taxes.

How much gasoline tax revenue does a bike generate, or are you willing to admit you get a "free ride", by those who drive and pay to build those roads you value so much?

Old 05-26-2013, 07:39 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,345,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Actually, despite seemingly every other car on the road being a Prius, I've never had one cut me off, ever, despite biking to and from work (and often a quick trip home for lunch) every day. Their inconsiderate driving seems to be primarily limited to driving 5 mph under the speed limit in town, and 10-20 mph under while cruising in the left lane on the interstate. Occasionally some soccer mom in a minivan or a sedan of some sort or some jerk in a sports car (nothing against sports cars - I own one myself) will turn without looking, but for the most part it seems to be something that those with an "I'm big and people have to get out of my way" attitude engage in.

Quote:
despite seemingly every other car on the road being a Prius

This shows that you see what you want to see. Let's jut say everything you say going forward can be taken with a grain of salt........

Old 05-26-2013, 07:48 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,155,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post

How much gasoline tax revenue does a bike generate, or are you willing to admit you get a "free ride", by those who drive and pay to build those roads you value so much?
Do you refrain from traveling on state highways in other states when you travel?

BTW, most of the roads I travel are county roads. Those are not paid for through gasoline taxes. Most cyclists ride county and city roads.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
I've never lived in a city in my life. Have lived in rural areas my whole life.

Why ride on busy roads? I tend to avoid busy roads, but I will ride some when necessary.

Multi-use paths stink because you have dum-dums who, kind of like when they drive, are oblivious to anyone around them. They spread all the way across the path, impeding others.

In all my years driving, I've never been delayed more than a few seconds by cyclists, but that's because I'm a competent driver. I am able to quickly pass because I am decisive and not tentative and I have confidence in my abilities. Ultimately, the root of these problems are people who either should not be driving or who should have to gain more driving skills before we allow them on the road. If they cannot handle getting around a cyclist or even a group of cyclists without "swerving" and all the other histrionics, they really should not be driving.

[quote]Multi-use paths stink because you have dum-dums who, kind of like when they drive, are oblivious to anyone around them. They spread all the way across the path, impeding others. [/QUOTE

This reminds me of the dum-dums who ride their bikes two abreast on a 40MPH posted roadway impeding others.

Quote:
In all my years driving, I've never been delayed more than a few seconds by cyclists, but that's because I'm a competent driver.

That sounds good on paper but what about the scenario I mentioned above? I've seen traffic backed up for about a mile on several occasions.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:54 AM

[quote=Rick Roma;29734062]
Quote:
Multi-use paths stink because you have dum-dums who, kind of like when they drive, are oblivious to anyone around them. They spread all the way across the path, impeding others. [/QUOTE

This reminds me of the dum-dums who ride their bikes two abreast on a 40MPH posted roadway impeding others.
Doesn't it stink when you don't read a thread and it comes back to make you look foolish? Keep trying, Einstein:

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post29723229

Old 05-26-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Good on you. I simply refuse to back down in those situations. On one occasion, the trucker who almost ran me into the guard rail had the misfortune of coming up on a railroad gate a mile ahead. As I passed around him and shared pleasantries, he stopped and stayed about a quarter-mile in back of me. As I recall, when the gate went up, he stayed behind me and didn't try to pass until I turned off onto a different road. I've been told I have a "game face" in these types of situations and that must have been what I showed him, along with some other things. I'm the most considerate guy on the road, but when you deliberately try to harm me, I tend to take it personally.
Another bad ass keyboard commando. IBTL.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:56 AM

[quote=Rick Roma;29734062]
Quote:
That sounds good on paper but what about the scenario I mentioned above? I've seen traffic backed up for about a mile on several occasions.
You may wish to read my other posts in this thread. The reason traffic is backed up is because you have an incompetent driver at the head of the line, probably named "Rossi." The primary culprit for problems on our roads are people who cannot drive.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:58 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,115 times
Quote:

Posts such as these are very unflattering to you.
Really, have at least a minimal amount of knowledge about the subject you are commenting on.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Another bad ass keyboard commando. IBTL.
Nope, and I have had other confrontations. Only once has a harassing motorist had the cajones to step out of their weapon. Speaks volumes, doesn't it?

Old 05-26-2013, 08:00 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,226,412 times
Quote:
Time is money, so considering the amount of time it takes to get places on a bike, it can be very expensive.
So is the upfront cost to get a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies