Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2013, 05:00 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
If you give someone the finger and they attacked you there might be an issue if you defend yourself because you escalated the violence by provoking them. Honking the horn is different from giving the finger so you can drop that asinine deflection attempt now.
To be fair I support Urban's right to freedom of speech. When someone gives me the finger I normally laugh at them. To me it's like that kid who called your mother a **** to taunt you. It is meaningless.

Old 05-26-2013, 05:14 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,346,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
To be fair I support Urban's right to freedom of speech. When someone gives me the finger I normally laugh at them. To me it's like that kid who called your mother a **** to taunt you. It is meaningless.
If you read the previous posts you'll see that I do the same when someone gives me the finger.

Old 05-26-2013, 05:23 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
People blow their horns to avoid an accident or get some clown stopped at a green light moving. Giving the finger accomplishes what exactly in your estimation?
Please, the times I see people blowing their horns is because they are sitting in traffic that isn't moving, and it gets them no where. It is the same thing, so why do you care if I give someone the finger if they cut me off on a bike?

Old 05-26-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
If you give someone the finger and they attacked you there might be an issue if you defend yourself because you escalated the violence by provoking them. Honking the horn is different from giving the finger so you can drop that asinine deflection attempt now.
That is funny you say that because last night in Manhattan I witnessed a guy who slammed on his breaks, got out of his car, and pound on a cab car's window for honking at him.

Old 05-26-2013, 05:32 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,156,006 times
Quote:
I see you. You're undoubtedly one of those clowns that thinks riding someone's bumper intimidates them who I laugh at every day.
Nope. Isn't it humorous, though, that I had you pegged as one of those imbeciles who sits in the passing lane, plugging up traffic? God damn I'm good. That also get back to what I was talking about on page two or three of this thread. The same incompetent driving ding-dongs who cannot get around a cyclist and are in such a hurry are the same ding-dongs walking the speed of a 75 year-old woman at the store and holding me up, the same poop for brains that had five minutes to decide what they want at the drive-thru yet wait until they get up to the sign to order to decide, and the same menaces to society that I come upon poking along in the passing lane, obliviious to the world.

Old 05-26-2013, 05:34 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,156,006 times
Quote:
Please, Mr. Astley, show us a case where the use of a the middle finger was successfully used as a defense for an assault on a cyclist or even on another motorist. I haven't even seen that be successful on Judge Judy.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:17 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,071,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Your claim is still false, just because you don't like bikes doesn't mean the infrastructure for them or the amount of space they consume is that much.
You don't know what you are talking about. In many places in the L.A. area entire vehicle lanes are taken out of service - ENTIRE LANES gone fallow, unused. Bought and paid for by gas tax, laying fallow and unused. WAKE UP.

And look at the safety issue. How would you like it if you punctured somebody's radiator with one of your ribs or a femur etc. Wouldn't you feel bad for the damage and harm you caused him by causing a needless accident by interjecting yourself in vehicular traffic.?

Old 05-26-2013, 08:21 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,071,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I would be fine with a bike tax, the cost would be low because the cost of bicycle infrastructure is low.
Not even close to being even partially true. Right-of-way is extremely expensive, and bike lanes usually end up taking a whole traffic lane.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
You don't know what you are talking about. In many places in the L.A. area entire vehicle lanes are taken out of service - ENTIRE LANES gone fallow, unused. Bought and paid for by gas tax, laying fallow and unused. WAKE UP.

And look at the safety issue. How would you like it if you punctured somebody's radiator with one of your ribs or a femur etc. Wouldn't you feel bad for the damage and harm you caused him by causing a needless accident by interjecting yourself in vehicular traffic.?
So you want me to feel bad for the damage to someone's car when they are stupid enough to hit someone on a bike?

So you are basically whining because bikes are taking up some of your precious road space, bet you hate sidewalks too cause that is just wasted real estate you could be driving on.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
Not even close to being even partially true. Right-of-way is extremely expensive, and bike lanes usually end up taking a whole traffic lane.
That is false, a bike lane usually only takes up a couple feet of roadway. There are times when a lane is turned into a bike lane when a street isn't paved for that extra space. Typically removing a lane is done on roads with light traffic to begin with. Though you claim it has been done on very busy roads and it would be nice to see what you are talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies