Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2013, 10:12 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
I have personally never seen a bicycle back up cars for miles...

...But then again, I don't ride my bike in a place with narrow roads.
That's because it doesn't happen with any frequency. The only times things like that are an issue is when the Critical Mass (I think that's what they're called) people decide to go be jerks and make all cyclists look bad.

The poster is so rabidly anti-bike that he attacks them and the people who ride them based on nothing. He's unable to even consider the idea that people biking could be anything more than an absolute negative. It's best to just ignore people like that. The benefits of taking cars off the road are completely non-existent in his mind, and only negatives result from having people cruising along in the shoulder.

Not too far back, he was accusing me of endangering others, being "slow-beyond description, constantly in the way" and "eternally inteferring with the flow of traffic." Of course, the reality is that riding a bike is faster than driving on many streets that have dedicated bike lanes, and just as fast as driving downtown. Keeping up with traffic is a total non-issue.

I've never seen a traffic lane be taken out to make room for a bike lane. They simply don't take up that much space, nor do they really cost much to build and maintain (I guess painting those little bicycles on the shoulder does cost something).

Old 05-26-2013, 10:13 PM
AT9

691 posts, read 1,219,299 times
Quote:
As a liberal, I am all about being "green". I love riding my bike, taking it to the grocery store, and using it for exercise and fun. Unfortunately there are a lot of people who hate my kind.

There are people who say there should be no bike lanes
There are people who say bicycles belong on the sidewalk and not on the road
There are people who say bicycles belong on the road and not on the sidewalk
There are people who say bicyclists should be fined for using the side walk
There are people who say bicyclists on the road should be hit by cars
There are people who say that bicyclists should either walk or drive unless there is a bicycle path

...Clearly a few people hate us, though some have legitimate reasons for that, like people not being able to stop at stop signs.

So...

...What should a cyclist in this country ought to do?
I'm "conservative," more or less, and I'm all for biking/walking/mass transit as a way or transportation! Cars run on money and make you fat, bikes run on fat and save you money.

Unfortunately, I live in a poorly planned Southern city and none of the options above are viable. I think a lot of conservatives associate biking (and other non-car forms of transportation) with urbanity, liberalism, and as a way for liberals to impose their green agenda against all freedom-loving Americans. I promise, not all conservatives hate biking!

Old 05-26-2013, 10:14 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,071,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Again I ask, what do you do for a living?
Multiple irons in multiple fires., work for a LEO agency (can't specifiy exactly what or who), web-merchant and a few other streams of income of lesser importance. Have 4 powered vehicles (3 trucks and 1 car) and 3 non-powered vehicles (trailers), and 1 bike - a Nishiki.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:15 PM

32,064 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
Tell us all about your serious use of a bike as a means of transportation. How many passengers can you carry - what is your top sustained speed, what is your "range". Can you carry your toobox with hammers, saws, squares, chalk lines etc., or perhaps your miter-box or table saw. Can you drive a typical 30-mile commute in a reasonable time? One the way home, can you pick up the kids at school and take them to little-league baseball?

Of course not - cause it isn't really serious for serious people.

Bikers in the city are usually professionals who don't carry tool boxes. And yes they can drive a typical 30 mile route in a reasonable time. And you are just assuming they have kids. What if they don't. Why if they do. Why is it your business

Old 05-26-2013, 10:16 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT9 View Post
I'm "conservative," more or less, and I'm all for biking/walking/mass transit as a way or transportation! Cars run on money and make you fat, bikes run on fat and save you money.

Unfortunately, I live in a poorly planned Southern city and none of the options above are viable. I think a lot of conservatives associate biking (and other non-car forms of transportation) with urbanity, liberalism, and as a way for liberals to impose their green agenda against all freedom-loving Americans. I promise, not all conservatives hate biking!
Pass the prozack
A person who claims to be a conservative and writes a very intelligent and well thought out post

Thank you Mr. AT9, and I hope you dont get excommunicated for going public this bit of sane reasoning

Old 05-26-2013, 10:16 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,227,349 times
Quote:
Multiple irons in multiple fires., work for a LEO agency (can't specifiy exactly what or who), web-merchant and a few other streams of income of lesser importance. Have 4 powered vehicles (3 trucks and 1 car) and 3 non-powered vehicles (trailers), and 1 bike - a Nishiki.
So you are obviously at the point where your schooling/experience/hard work has finally paid off and is generating enough income to afford multiple vehicles.

...Many of the poor are still earning that experience or are still going to school.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:21 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
bicycles are un-American, ya hear! You need a big Chevy pick-up truck painted in red, white and blue!

Old 05-26-2013, 10:23 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,766 times
Quote:
I work with people who have severe disabilities at the leading organization in our country for the impairment its associated with. I have worked on several projects that have advanced the industry and had a hugely positive impact on many peoples lives. Serious people do ride bikes to work.
In fact, I might opine that cars are a huge factor in the desensitizing our society and numbing people from humanity in their tiny little spheres of reality. If you've ever lived in an area that is heavy in alternative/ped transportation, you will know it is a friendlier and more vibrant area.

The Nishiki is an awesome old school bike. Take care of it--They dont make 'em like that anymore

Old 05-26-2013, 10:24 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,071,184 times
Quote:
What's so disconnected from reality of the upfront costs of a car?
Are you trying to tell me that you don't have a car at all? Really?

Old 05-26-2013, 10:27 PM

32,064 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Are you trying to tell me that you don't have a car at all? Really?
Many people who live in a city don't have cars since they are very expensive to keep. They don't need them anyway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies