Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your experience with languages?
Anti-Spanish: Do not speak another language 8 14.81%
Anti-Spanish: Speak another language/studied extensively 25 46.30%
Pro-Spanish: Do not speak another language 6 11.11%
Pro-Spanish: Speak another language/studied extensively 15 27.78%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 06:22 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,539,703 times

Advertisements

There's a reason that countries end up with a single culture and a single language in the long run. Those who don't assimilate end up isolated and hated. Eventually, at some point of political or economic stress, they end up dead.

Learn some history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 06:25 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Why should I speak Spanish?

The Mexicans that I hire for cheap physical labor understand dollars.

"Dig hole here, put over there."

Not so difficult.

Old 05-26-2013, 01:10 PM

1,704 posts, read 748,682 times
Why is it that in some European countries, some people speak three and four languages quite fluently, but we here in the U.S. find it so difficult to warmly embrace another language as our own.

We should just forget all about the anti-Mexican and anti-Spanish sentiment, because if you really think about it, much of the southwestern part of "our" country was once a part of Mexico. The way in which it was taken was not entirely too honorable, either. Just like much of the U.S. was taken, or should I say, "discovered"...

Old 05-26-2013, 02:00 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeliner View Post
Why is it that in some European countries, some people speak three and four languages quite fluently, .
Perhaps if every state in the Northeast US spoke a different language you might have to learn them for things like business and commerce? Just saying....

And what is the one fundamental thing that divides most European countries or most countries for that matter? Language.

I said it before. One nation, one language. Having two languages can only divide this country even further.

Old 05-26-2013, 02:02 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,343,707 times
I grew up with a bilingual family, not Spanish, It is not the only other language in existence.
Children who grow up in the USA need English to assimilate and prosper.

Old 05-26-2013, 02:12 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Just going to add one other thing, I was briefly part of open source project for awhile that consisted of people across the entire world most of whom did not speak English. Why is it you think the rule was everyone had to communicate in English?

Programming code and most of the web is dominated by English, if I were to take my crystal ball out I would suggest in few hundred years the language of this planet is going to be English.

Old 05-26-2013, 02:14 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Quote:
Why is it that in some European countries, some people speak three and four languages quite fluently, but we here in the U.S. find it so difficult to warmly embrace another language as our own.

We should just forget all about the anti-Mexican and anti-Spanish sentiment, because if you really think about it, much of the southwestern part of "our" country was once a part of Mexico. The way in which it was taken was not entirely too honorable, either. Just like much of the U.S. was taken, or should I say, "discovered"...
If you don't use you lose it. European countries are very small and it is easy to travel to different countries easily. If people in MA spoke a different language than the people in NY there would be a strong incentive to learn another language, but that isn't the case. If Spanish was a language of money then there would be a strong incentive to learn it, but that isn't the case. If Spanish speaking immigrants were important people or developing important industries then Spanish would be good to know, but that isn't the case.

Old 05-26-2013, 02:14 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,746,641 times
why would I learn to speak mexican?

Old 05-26-2013, 02:25 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
There is a lot of anti-Spanish language on this board when it comes to it being used in the United States. I constantly see "ENGLISH ONLY" propaganda on here. My question to those people who support such a doctrine is thus: Do you have any substantial experience with another language? Do you speak another language nearly fluent or fluent? Have you ever moved to another country that spoke a different language?

Those who are pro bi-lingual accommodations, etc., please share your experiences regarding these questions as well!
I'm pro-bilingual. I studied French in high school and took a few semesters of it in college. I know a few words of Spanish. My experience is this. I've actually enjoyed learning languages and practicing with others. I do feel that anyone who decides to come to the USA should learn English, mainly for their own benefits. It makes it easier to participate in American society, to prosper, to do better. If I were to move to another country, it would be a good idea for me to learn the language so that I could participate in day to day life. On the other hand, I don't get annoyed by hearing "press 2 for Spanish" or seeing anything in another language. It doesn't bother me.

Old 05-26-2013, 03:23 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:

We're not Europe and it's interesting that some of you believe the hispanic immigrants should never make any effort at all to learn as much as a single word of English and that Americans must learn to cater to them in their own language -- to make sure those coming here for our big easy money and government handouts won't have to bother themselves with learning anything new.

European nations never became as rich and powerful as the USA when we had a common language. Americans have always been known as an English speaking people who weren't inclined to learn 100 different languages and dialects but had a common language -- yet we become the wealthiest nation because of it.

When anyone relocates to live permanently to any other nation, it's stupid for them to demand that all the citizens of that nation learn his language because he's refusing to learn the language of the country he has moved to.

It's pretty simple -- Americans should learn some language if they want to, no one should demand that the only foreign language Americans learn would be Spanish especially because the immigrants refuse to learn even how to ask for their welfare and foodstamps in this country's language.

Any immigrant coming here should have the intelligence and intellectual curiousity to learn something of it. Immigration today is now all only about the easy money and welfare handouts, they have no desire to learn about this country, to adapt or assimilate into our culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies