Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your experience with languages?
Anti-Spanish: Do not speak another language 8 14.81%
Anti-Spanish: Speak another language/studied extensively 25 46.30%
Pro-Spanish: Do not speak another language 6 11.11%
Pro-Spanish: Speak another language/studied extensively 15 27.78%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 03:59 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times

Advertisements

Spanish is a perfectly good language and I give it extra points for being based on Latin, which makes it easier for me to understand - cerveza is derived from Latin, not borrowed from German as in some other European languages. Languages based on German confound me.

Gesundheit and farfegnugen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 04:25 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times
I speak Thai as a second language and I am against catering to any ethnic group. The language of our Government is English. The issue with pandering to Hispanics is that the rules don't apply to all groups equally.
For example when my wife who is Thai took her test for a learners permit to drive there were also Hispanics there. They were allowed a translator. I asked if my wife could have a translator. We were told no, the rules applied to Hispanics but not Thai's. My wife in fact needed no translator because she took the time and effort to learn the common language of our land. I only asked because I felt it was only fair if the Hispanics could do it then should be able to also.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:52 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,000,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
What if you're a tourist?
On one of my many trips through Quebec Province, in Canada, it was strongly suggested that if I were going to be passing through "their country", I should learn the language. The road and street signs were no problem, but some of the rest of the signs were more of a challenge since I do not speak French. And, I was only passing through. The person that made the suggestion was a police officer. I was also told that if I were going to live there, I would have no choice but to learn the language. Same officer.

It's the discrimination that I'm against. The only viable solution I see is that either everyone speaks all languages, or everyone speaks one language. Which one is easier?

Old 05-27-2013, 02:26 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
On one of my many trips through Quebec Province, in Canada, it was strongly suggested that if I were going to be passing through "their country",
Why the quotation marks? It most certainly is their country. Certainly a lot more than it is yours.

Old 05-27-2013, 04:26 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
There is a lot of anti-Spanish language on this board when it comes to it being used in the United States. I constantly see "ENGLISH ONLY" propaganda on here. My question to those people who support such a doctrine is thus: Do you have any substantial experience with another language? Do you speak another language nearly fluent or fluent? Have you ever moved to another country that spoke a different language?

Those who are pro bi-lingual accommodations, etc., please share your experiences regarding these questions as well!
I am not "anti-Spanish." I have studied it a little, and it is the most beautiful language I've heard. However, I recognize there are huge benefits to having one common language. In fact it is probably a major reason for the economic success of the US. Imagine being in Europe where all scientific and technical work has to be translated into French, German Dutch, Swedish, etc. Or everyone has to learn a lingua franca (probably English). Learning a second language alone is a huge undertaking, and means hour upon hour that could be otherwise spent on math, science, etc.

There are other major benefits too. My state of WA seems to be an immigrant magnet, and we spend millions on translations for everything from courts to elections. All public debate is conducted in English, so if you don't speak English and are voting, that is an obvious problem.

Local News | Secretary of State site had translation errors | Seattle Times Newspaper

I wonder how many of the people who you think are "anti-Spanish" are really just pro-mono-lingual like me.

Last edited by wutitiz; 05-27-2013 at 04:52 PM..

Old 05-27-2013, 04:39 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times
I was born in The United States. I speak American English.
I scored high enough in the Army Language Aptitude Test to be asked to take a course in VietNamese, but I didn't.
I did learn enough to order a meal or a beer.
However, IF it ever came about that I went to another country, where the primary language was NOT some type of English, and I planned to stay there for several years or perhaps the rest of my life, I would certainly make every effort to learn to speak, read, and write the language. You know, kinda like my German ancestors did when they came to this country!
I certainly would not expect the citizens of that country to learn English just for me!
So, if the poll asked if new immigrants to the United States should learn to speak, read, and write English as soon as possible, I would definitely say YES! Since I don't plan to move to THEIR country, I have no plans to learn to speak their language!

Old 05-27-2013, 05:09 PM

62,930 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I am not "anti-Spanish." I have studied it a little, and it is the most beautiful language I've heard. However, I recognize there are huge benefits to having one common language. In fact it is probably a major reason for the economic success of the US. Imagine being in Europe where all scientific and technical work has to be translated into French, German Dutch, Swedish, etc. Or everyone has to learn a lingua franca (probably English). Learning a second language alone is a huge undertaking, and means hour upon hour that could be otherwise spent on math, science, etc.

There are other major benefits too. My state of WA seems to be an immigrant magnet, and we spend millions on translations for everything from courts to elections. All public debate is conducted in English, so if you don't speak English and are voting, that is an obvious problem.

Local News | Secretary of State site had translation errors | Seattle Times Newspaper

I wonder how many of the people who you think are "anti-Spanish" are really just pro-mono-lingual like me.
Excellent post that makes a lot of sense. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies