Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 12:42 PM

1,165 posts, read 1,515,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I like to think of myself as having a fairly extensive vocabulary.....but I've never heard this word!! I guess that's because most people are afraid to use it!

Another person a few posts up apparently tried to post about the same word, but the letters were turned into ******dly, (either by him or the site auto-censor), and I had no idea what the word was supposed to be!
It seems quite a few of such attempted to post about that incident If you go on the first page, below the person who got *****d out (probably at the discretion of the board, as the other poster had to put spaces between letters) and click the link I posted, you can read more about the situation. Wisconsin did not budge against her weak defense! Sometimes logic prevails.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 12:43 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,422,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Maybe he should have used "colored".

If it is good enough for the NAACP, National Association for the Advancement of COLORED People, it should be good enough for everyone!
Maybe whitey. I don't understand why people are so ashamed of who they are that they take offense to everything.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:44 PM

3,537 posts, read 2,735,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I never understood why Negro was offensive. Yes it's not used to describe Blacks today but it was used as recently as the 2010 Census.

I mean are other outdated terms once used to refer to Blacks also offensive? Such as Afro-American?
Its alot less offensive then talking about Foods that many African Americans like to eat like watermelon and Fried Chicken.

Food is something cultures should be proud of not be offended by.

I m Italian- American- If someone tells me to go eat some Ziti and meatballs should I be hurt?

Old 05-24-2013, 01:58 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
There is too much sensitivity around things in America where things are taken at emotional value rather than logical value.
Don't you love freedom of speech? How come we are consistently heading towards having to censor and filter everything before we say anything because someone may have a knee jerk reaction to something you say which would be insensitive or politically incorrect? Dumbing down of America and watering down freedom of speech to self-censorship.

Old 05-24-2013, 02:02 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
This is one of those stories in which it is best to wait for 'all the evidence'.

I will note that the plaintiff/teacher was, according to the one story we have, 65 years old without tenure (which itself may indicate a problem), and that the 'incident' happened a year ago (or, so she says). She just filed the suit, hence the news report.

She could be making this up completely, or there may be truth to it, or a mixture of such.
Or....................she was a career substitute teacher as well as a mother raising children and wanted the flexibility? Not having tenure does not necessarily equate to being a negative.

Old 05-24-2013, 02:07 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Where are the PC police? They should be calling this woman every name in the book about now yet are absent from this thread. Hmmmmmmm

Old 05-24-2013, 02:20 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,474,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Where are the PC police? They should be calling this woman every name in the book about now yet are absent from this thread. Hmmmmmmm
They are agenda seeking hypocrites...

Old 05-24-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I never understood why Negro was offensive. Yes it's not used to describe Blacks today but it was used as recently as the 2010 Census.

I mean are other outdated terms once used to refer to Blacks also offensive? Such as Afro-American?
I never have understood using the word 'black' when their skin color is far from the color of black - their color is various shades of the color brown. Likewise I have never understood using 'African-American' when it was hundreds of generations ago when they came to America from Africa...and probably less than .0001% of them have ever even traveled to Africa.

I agree with you - why should 'negro' be offensive when it is still used today by them; e.g. United Negro College. And why should 'colored' be offensive when it is still used today by them; e.g. NAACP where 'C' stands for 'colored'.

I have never seen a group of people that is so sensitive, and tries to use generations-old history to make people feel sorry for them. Doing that only distances them from the equality they so desperately want and seek.

With few exceptions they are a very strange group, which they can blame themselves for not fitting in...

Old 05-24-2013, 02:57 PM

I was just watching the Crowne Plaza Invitational Golf Tournament at Colonial in Fort Worth, Texas on television when the announcer (David Feherty of The Golf Channel) said; "He's trying to catch the Swede." The announcer could have just as easily have said 'the Frenchman', 'the Australian', 'the Englishman', 'the Irishman', 'the Canadian', 'the Columbian', 'the Scot', 'the Korean', etc., etc. But, why would it be offensive (would NOT be accepted) to say; 'He's trying to catch the African-American'? Especially if that is what they want to be called, or how they want to be referred to? Such a sensitive group of people...

Old 05-24-2013, 02:58 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,203,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
Its alot less offensive then talking about Foods that many African Americans like to eat like watermelon and Fried Chicken.

Food is something cultures should be proud of not be offended by.

I m Italian- American- If someone tells me to go eat some Ziti and meatballs should I be hurt?
Fired Chicken and watermelon where forced into Black American culture.Especially watermelon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies